Author Topic: Lowrance Hook2 - 5 ( Screen Lag )  (Read 2507 times)

Offline MI.FISH-N-HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance Hook2 - 5 ( Screen Lag )
« on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:17 AM »
Hey Guys, newbie to this Website

I Recently purchased the Lowrance Hook2-5 Ice Machine, after first time out with this unit I wasn't too impressed.
This new unit seems to lag quite a bit and the screen froze up on me a few times requiring me to power down the unit.
It's funny as Lowrance claims this to be their easiest to use unit made. 
I have had a Vexilar FL-8, FL-12, and the Lowrance X67c Ice Machine that works flawlessly.
I basically purchased this unit for the built in GPS with the Inland Lake Maps/Contours.  I have taken it off auto
and now running in manual depth range and speeded up the chart, seemed to work better 2nd time out but still has some lag time
when hole hopping. There isn't a whole lot info/reviews on the internet on this unit, i did find one comparison video versus a Garmin.
Anyone using this unit or experiencing these problems?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Fred
Fred S.

Save a few for Seed !!!

Offline Papa Buzzardwizzle

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lowrance Hook2 - 5 ( Screen Lag )
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:34 AM »
 I purchased a finder from the hook 2 line this summer for my trolling rig . Olny need depth and marks foe weeds and fish . Its a pc of crap so far it freezes up on me in the summer and at times i am sure the depth is off . Maybe its me but il never buy another . Sorry the olny advice i have is to sell it to the enemy. Im not impressed with anything iv seen or heard from the hook 2 line .

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:29 AM »
I used a Hook 5 for a couple of years, and an Elite 4 a few years prior. It takes a while to get the settings dialed-in. I watched a few videos on YouTube that were helpful.

I never had any problem with screen lag, but it is not instantaneous as there is a millisecond delay.  Are you using the amplitude scope? That is what I primarily concentrated on when using that unit.

I had the screen lock-up problem on both of my Lowrance units, it is annoying, and it is not related to temperature (happens in the summer just as often as on the ice).

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:30 AM »
shoulda got a garmin

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I bought a hook 2 9TS for the boat, it had the same screen issue you speak if,not one of Lowrance finest creations,  I returned it and bought a Garmin echo map plus 9"  best thing I ever did.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Wellcome24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:15 PM »
New to these forums...always looking for some tips from others...I bought a lowrance hook2 5 ice machine and have been using it pretty frequently..the only issue I had started to have is the unit will freeze up or the screen seems to lag no matter what the settings are on..I have previously had a lowrance elite 4 and elite 5 and liked those way better than staring at a vexilar screen..but long story short I was wondering if anyone has had issues like this and have you solved them...just curious if it is possibly the battery, maybe a 12v 10ah lithium battery would solve the issue, any thoughts would help

Offline RedRiverRick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Hey Guys, newbie to this Website

I Recently purchased the Lowrance Hook2-5 Ice Machine, after first time out with this unit I wasn't too impressed.
This new unit seems to lag quite a bit and the screen froze up on me a few times requiring me to power down the unit.
It's funny as Lowrance claims this to be their easiest to use unit made. 
I have had a Vexilar FL-8, FL-12, and the Lowrance X67c Ice Machine that works flawlessly.
I basically purchased this unit for the built in GPS with the Inland Lake Maps/Contours.  I have taken it off auto
and now running in manual depth range and speeded up the chart, seemed to work better 2nd time out but still has some lag time
when hole hopping. There isn't a whole lot info/reviews on the internet on this unit, i did find one comparison video versus a Garmin.
Anyone using this unit or experiencing these problems?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Fred
Make sure all settings are in manual mode, not auto, will take care of any lag.
What colour are you using?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.