Author Topic: build an ice auger from car starter motor....anyone done this...ideas ...thought  (Read 4210 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
I am in the process of trying to build an auger from a car starter motor as ive heard they work awesome.no noise,fumes,etc.any thoughts would be welcomed.what would be the best way to build etc.thanks ahead of time.going to deif tomorow!!yippeee!!
im gunna freeze my nackers off........and catch rainbows too!!!!!!!!!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
I have one!!!!!!  My Dad built it years ago and it works great. All I know is that you have to use a gear reduction starter. I can drill 3 holes to a jiffy's 1. Only bad part about this auger is that you need the truck with you. If you are ever going to the Strap let me know I'll tell you where we will be so you can check it out.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline friendly fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keeping the fish on the line
I've got one as well they work great needed to rebuild my motor this fall cause I wore out the bushings LOL to many holes have had mine for 2 yrs now bought it second hand did some modifiying to it scince I got it tho

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
I have some input .
You should use a 12 volt switch but make shure it is something that when you let go of it the motor will stop.
If not if your auger sticks you will snap your wrist!!!
I have a 12 volt gear drive starter in a bar stool it has 780 foot pounds of tork and it wayes 250 poundes .
It will catwalk for 15feet and do 50 km in about 90 FEET!!!!!
The motor is out of a 1996 Honda  go to wrecker thy are only $20.
Then take it to motor shop and get it in for a tuneup.
I am a electric motor mech I know motors and switches and the big thing with motors or anythings SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.