Author Topic: southern saskatchewan lakes! where do people like to fish ?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
I AM FROM SASKATOON AND FISH QUITE HEAVILY YEAR ROUND ( NOT WHEN THE SEASON IS CLOSED OF COURSE) AND I WAS WONDERING WHICH LAKE EVERYONE LIKE TO FISH THE MOST IN THE WINTER.  MY FAVORITES ARE: BLACKSTRAP, BRIGHTWATER (HANLEY) , BRADWELL, BRODERICK,ZELMA AND DIEFENBAKER.  DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT TWIN LAKES BY NORTH BATTLEFORD , THEY SAY THEY STOCK OVER 10,000 RAINBOWS AND 15,000 BROOKIES IN EVERY YEAR OR EVERY SECOND YEAR . I HAVE NOT HEARD A SINGLE PERSON TALK ABOUT THIS LAKE AT ALL.
   I THINK THIS WILL BE BANNER YEAR FOR ICE FISHING ONCE WE GET ENOUGH ICE TO ACTUALLY GET OUT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL . SASKAFISHMAN.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
Re: southern saskatchewan lakes! where do people like to fish ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2004, 05:54 PM »
I see that you like to fish a lot of reservoirs. I fished all of those last year except for hanley. I didn't fish them much as i do most of my icefishing north of Prince Albert but i found that the fishing wasn't all that great in Bradwell and Zelma, where are you fishing in those lakes in the winter?

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:54 AM »
  there is only one thing to look at when fishing these places , structure!   old roads creek bottoms any thing of the sort. the dnr has topo maps of alll these places.   saskafishman.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2004, 09:05 AM »
I am from Saskatoon also. I usually fish Blackstrap a few times in the winter but with the price of gas I will be hitting the Strap hard this year. Saskafish is right about the structure, there are lots of reefs, drop offs, and of course the sunkin road out at the Strap. I havn't fished the other res. for about 4 years but I heard Brightwater is good for Pike and Zelma is good for Perch. We fish D'amour Lake ( south of Iroquois ) 4-5 times a winter, lots of small Pike, Walleye and keeper Perch. Cold whether is on the way, time to sharpin them auger blades.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline saskafishman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fish or perish
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:02 PM »
  HANLEY, IS ONE OF EASIEST PLACE TO LOCATE STRUCTURE. THERE IS THE OLD BRIGHTWATER CREEK BOTTOM RUNNING THROUGH THE WHOLE LAKE . I LIKE THE SOUTH END NEER THE STEEP BANKS. THE CREEK RUNS RIGHT NEXT TO THE SHORE AND THE WATER IS 20 FEET DEEP 15 FEET OUT. I USED TO GO THERE LOTS AS A KID I THINK I WILL HAVE TO HIT IT AGAIN THIS WINTER. APU, SPICOLI  WE SHOULD PLAN A TRIP CLOSE TO THE NEW YEAR . WE COULD CAR POOL AND HIT THE STRAP OR HANLEY HARD FOR A DAY .   SASKAFISHMAN.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in but I won't know when until we get a little closer to Christmas.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2004, 02:57 PM »
apu when you fish  damour which side do you usally fish i go up there a couple of times every winterand always have a blast.i fish most of the rez mentioned but this year im going to try lenore and lake of the prairies

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:35 PM »
We usually fish at the "creek" mouth but if the wind is strong we fish the narrows. I have alway's wonderd about the shack by the farm, it is there every year but you never see anyone out there. My folks went there this summer and caught a ton of small pike. I hope the algea isn't as bad this year, it sure was gross to see red ice  when drilling last winter.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Lenore is a good walleye lake, you just have to find them and it will be some of the best fishing you ever had.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2004, 01:23 PM »
the shack by the farm is used they either go really early in the morning or just about at dark they say thats when the bigger walleye in the lake are out

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2004, 01:29 PM »
spicoli if  you have any tips on where to try or general info like best place to get on the lake please share as this year i want to try new places

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Hey, I just moved to northern Montana, near Malta.  I guess the closest place in Sask, is Swift Current. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some decent areas to fish that wouldn't be too far away. Also, what are the regs and licensing like for a US citizen? Thanks

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2004, 05:11 AM »
Here is a copy of the regs. As for fishing, the biggest would be Diefenbaker
and the closest spot to Swift is Sask Landing and Beaver Flats

www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/

www.gov.sk.ca/topics/keyword/keyword?topic=tourism-travel&keyword=1107

www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&q=saskatchewan+fishing+lakes&meta=

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.