Author Topic: Interior Ice Shanty Tips  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
Interior Ice Shanty Tips
« on: Nov 07, 2006, 07:40 PM »
I'm about to begin building my first permanent Ice shanty and I was wondering if any of the guys/girls from Team AK could share some tips/ideas/secrets ect I can add to my building plans.  I'm planning on building a 6x8 and it needs to be able to stand up(keep warm) during Jan/Feb in the Interior.  I've been fishin out of a portable for the last 3 years and I want to dedicate as much time to the ice this year as I can.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!  ;D

Tight Lines------<><   <")))))><   :tipup:

Muddskippa
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: Interior Ice Shanty Tips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006, 12:12 AM »
Muddskippa pm me your location or number. I have off on Friday and could come over or this weekend and give my two cents ??? if you want. I haven't built many huts but have seen and used all kinds.

FF

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:42 PM »
A favorite tip that my friends in MN pass along is to make the floor of the hut about 2" off the ice.  Keeps the feet warmer and gives you something other than ice to fall on.  Make sure you have areas planned out for the holes though!

Cheers and happy building!

J

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:07 PM »
The best option by far is to reserve a seat for me ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o!  That and insulate, insulate, insulate.

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2006, 12:05 AM »
I'm planning on usng 1" foam board insulation think it will suffice ??? I can understand the importance insulating up here.  One of the main reasons I'm building is so the wife will spend a little more time on the ice with me, she loves to ice fish just not when its below -10 (which is a good portion of our season) :-X 
Another question I have is what do you guys suggest for skeg size?  Back in NH I used 2x10's to help it ride over the snow, In  my experience so far up here the snow tends to blow off most of the lakes. 
I appreciate the help guys!  Look forward to hittin the ice in a few weeks, until then take advantage of our available ice and ramp up for this years tourney!  Tight Lines---~<>< <")))))))><
Derek
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline dagreenhornet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2006, 01:20 AM »
well see what ya gotta do mudskippa is go to tonkin's and "borrow" the bob-weiser house! he will never think to look in alaska for it!!!!  ;D
what i did in my house was use carpet insulation on the walls! gets hot as heck in there and its pretty cheap!

keep your stick on the ice lil buddy!

DA GREEN HORNET STRIKES AGAIN!!!
"it's like that fourty pound muskie your always yackin about.......its a shame nobody ever sees you with these monsters" -Max Goldman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.