Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Snowshoes
« on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Do any of you use snowshoes to get out on the lakes? And if you do, what's your preference, traditional or modern?

WS

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I have an old pair of Atlas snowshoes that I use, but would gladly trade them in for a pair of Continental 12"x60" mono with ratcheting harness from these fine folks in Canada!!

Some day very soon, a pair will be delivered to my door step   ;)

http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/?action=main_index

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:01 AM »
A good quality ratchet strap model is the only way to go. SO easy to put on and get OUT of when you take a header straight into an alder patch. I borrowed my cousin's Cabelas brand synthetics last spring to go stake some gold claims during wet & deep spring corn snow. If I had been wearing my wooden shoes I'd still be out there. Broke through some hollow snow patches in alders and if it weren't for the ease of reaching down and popping the bindings loose to step/crawl out of I don't know how long it would have taken me to get untangled with my leather bindings. Probably would have had to naw off my leg to get loose!

I've been eyeballing the Cabelas Outfitter Pro model that is on sale for $127.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Pro-Snowshoes/753563.uts
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:11 PM »
I have a pair of military surplus Michigans.
Magnesium frames and cable webbing.
The bindings I use are leather straps in the front and bungie cords in the back.
I was thinking of making a set of the bindings made from innertube rubber.
I never have used them for icefishing though. A snowmachine works so much better for me granted I have the money for them.
I have used them bunny hunting etc. and I like them.
A lot depends on your weight.I am a bigger guy so need a bigger shoe. I used to wear a pair of wood and leather webbed Alaskans in my younger years and they worked great until I stepped off a snow plow berm and cracked the one frame.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline cweg94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2013, 10:47 PM »
A good quality ratchet strap model is the only way to go. SO easy to put on and get OUT of when you take a header straight into an alder patch. I borrowed my cousin's Cabelas brand synthetics last spring to go stake some gold claims during wet & deep spring corn snow. If I had been wearing my wooden shoes I'd still be out there. Broke through some hollow snow patches in alders and if it weren't for the ease of reaching down and popping the bindings loose to step/crawl out of I don't know how long it would have taken me to get untangled with my leather bindings. Probably would have had to naw off my leg to get loose!

I've been eyeballing the Cabelas Outfitter Pro model that is on sale for $127.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Pro-Snowshoes/753563.uts

Those are what I have back in Petersburg and they work great for me in the heavy snow of Southeast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.