Author Topic: Im done, throwing in the towel  (Read 3132 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Im done, throwing in the towel
« on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Time to get the boat out and ready for some halibut. Pulled the shack on sat. Looks like all the shacks are off for the year. Plenty of ice up there I drilled to the handles WITH an extention in a few spots. Caught a "few" WHITEFISH a couple lakers and some nice burbot(if 14lbs is a nice one) Had a guy show me how it was done on the whitefish...I think he iced 72 in one spot in one day. Hes CRAZY though sleeps on the ice in a tent...coo koo if you ask me. Snow turns to mush after about 1030. Ill post some pics soon.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Im done, throwing in the towel
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I heard the "Whitefish Whisperer" lost his mind when he figured out how to catch them. He is possessed with those wee little baitfish and spends entire days laying on the ice in his G string and Superman cape.

Last 2 trips the snow really was starting to be a pain. Crusty and hard in one spot, then overflow or corn snow in another. We rode over near Dog Creek and there was 1/4 mile of overflow. People were also running trucks, side by sides and other trail destroying machines clear past the Susitna channel. Deep ruts that went all over the place. It sucked to try to avoid them.

Next trip with be to put the boat in Nancy Lake for some pike fishing, then it will spent the summer at LL.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
That's my wife's G-string and she made the cape for me.  I think she did a really good job on it to.  Now if I can just figure out how to keep my nipples from getting frostbite I'll be OK.

Dumped the gas in my auger and hung up the rods.  Bears are starting to wake up and my arrows are thirsty for blood.  Got my sites set on stickin a brownie this year.  I ended my season on a high note so I'm not complaining.  If anyone needs whitefish I might know where you can get some.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Well it isn't the first time you wore the wifes clothes. ;)

You might try some Thinsulate pasties. Just sayin~

I have a class in Wasilla tomorrow so if time allows, I might call around 5:30 or so.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Sounds good don't forget your pasties.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2011, 10:52 PM »
If I were to participate in Whitefish Whispering, I would just tape a couple hand warmers to my nipples. I was figuring that fashion conscious fellow like yourself would want to make a statement by wearing pasties.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Your right I think the pasties will work just fine.  It might scare the fish if my nipples didn't look natural anyway.  On that note I need to put more aloe on my butt.  Sunburn hurts.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:07 PM »

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:27 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Where should I send the invoice for the whitefish catching lessons?    :whistle:

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2011, 12:53 PM »
You can send it to me I guess.  Do you accept moose meat as payment.  Thanks again Dave you created a real monster you know.  Now my garage and all my fishing gear stinks like whitefish.  My wife hates it but I love it.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Yes kuddos to you Dave for the pattern. While I got into them before the "weapon" was unleashed. It is no comparison to the damage we can do to them now. AK said he was gonna give up laker fishing now and just sell bait. Run that by your wife AK a winter job and fishing. Ill rent you a place right on the lake and we could both "make out" on this deal...No pun intended... :nono:    :icefish:                                                                                                                                                                             AK jiggin Whites

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2011, 04:04 PM »
You can send it to me I guess.  Do you accept moose meat as payment.  Thanks again Dave you created a real monster you know.  Now my garage and all my fishing gear stinks like whitefish.  My wife hates it but I love it.

These are the forms of payment I accept: moose meat, caribou meat, halibut, rockfish, ling & shrimp and of course .
Sorry I do not accept any salmon as payment. 
I could also use a couple of those white fish for bait when I come a visitin' around labour day.   ;)2

Mike
Get your down riggers mounted on that boat of yours and I'll show you some super secret laker fishin' stuff.
   :whistle:

127 days until departure!!! Not that I'm countin' or nuthin'.    ;D

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Yes kuddos to you Dave for the pattern. While I got into them before the "weapon" was unleashed. It is no comparison to the damage we can do to them now. AK said he was gonna give up laker fishing now and just sell bait. Run that by your wife AK a winter job and fishing. Ill rent you a place right on the lake and we could both "make out" on this deal...No pun intended... :nono:    :icefish:                                                                                                                                                                             AK jiggin Whites
Lake Louise bait company sounds pretty good to me.  I think my wife would be thrilled if my addiction could pay the bills.  Maybe she wont complain that much anymore

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:01 PM »
These are the forms of payment I accept: moose meat, caribou meat, halibut, rockfish, ling & shrimp and of course .
Sorry I do not accept any salmon as payment. 
I could also use a couple of those white fish for bait when I come a visitin' around labour day.   ;)2

Mike
Get your down riggers mounted on that boat of yours and I'll show you some super secret laker fishin' stuff.

You can have all the moose and whitefish you want but I get to come to.  How about a little sandhill crane you ever have that.  They don't call it roast beef of the sky for nothing.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:40 PM »
You can have all the moose and whitefish you want but I get to come to.  How about a little sandhill crane you ever have that.  They don't call it roast beef of the sky for nothing.

Never had Sandhill Crane, but if it's any where near as good as Whooping Crane I'm in!!!   :whistle:
I'm also a big fan of spotted owl.  :roflmao:

Maybe we can have a sandhill crane BBQ at Mikes place.   ;D

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2011, 12:16 AM »

Mike

I'm working on it... quit yer naggin!!!! ;)

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2011, 12:18 AM »

I though you said your shack doesn't have a back door...... ROFLMAO!!!!! I make myself laugh!!!!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I'm working on it... quit yer naggin!!!!

If'n you put 1/2 as much effort into mounting them downriggers as you do complainin' about me naggin' you'd  already be finished!!!!  

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2011, 02:36 PM »

If'n you put 1/2 as much effort into mounting them downriggers as you do complainin' about me naggin' you'd  already be finished!!!!  
 (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Give him a break Dave dont you understand that when you get old you get all crotchity about everything...and hes got "grinding" on his mind...Take that as you will.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Trying to launch a multibrazillion dollar business is more important than squandering my time installing doodads and gadgets. ;)

Don't mess with the old guy. ;)

http://youtu.be/8i2P2VzoPL0

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Any safe ice left up there may make a bonzi run one day this week

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Just talked to Tree. They are still running the lake. The crossing to Susitna is land now. He suggests 4 wheeler as there isn't snow on the ground. If you need a closer place to fish, PM me.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 09:34 PM »
How much ice do you still have in AK? Just curious haven't walked water since march 16 here. Got 6.5 months to go before i can get out again

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42 PM »
It rarely goes out before the first week of June. 1 in 4 for Memorial day. They are still driving trucks on it. I don't know anyone that has drilled it to get a thickness for you. I would guess anywhere from 0-32 inches depending on where on the lake.

BTW - Tree did say that it appears that the lake will be normal or above to start the year!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:49 PM »
bear hunt-ice fish-bear hunt-ice fish  Decisions decisions, I know I'll do both.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Ice fish with your rifle and a spotting scope!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.