Author Topic: Driving on long lake on the glen  (Read 1774 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Driving on long lake on the glen
« on: Dec 24, 2009, 04:24 PM »
How much ice (plenty for fishing) is there? enough to drive a truck on. I would think so but better to be safe than sorry. Thanks

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Driving on long lake on the glen
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:48 PM »
You can drive on the lake but with that recent snow I think its to deep to drive on.  There was at least 2ft. of snow on it last Friday.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Thanks think the wind we just had blew it away gets wicked windy there.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:45 AM »
I don't know, when we were out there 2 weeks ago there was a thin layer of crust with snow underneath.  There was about a 18inches of snow underneath that.  With the recent thaw you might be able to drive on it.  Theres defiantly good fishin within walking distance, but if you can drive on rock on I'll be out there next week. Good luck.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:59 PM »
it may be difficult to negotiate the snow burms piled up by DOT.  I'm hoping to head up some time within the next week or so. 

Mike

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Headed out tomorrow will let all know whats up thanks.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:03 PM »
well headed out on sat. wind was whippin(whats new) on the lake caught a few fish LOTS and LOTS of over flow the burm is broke open so if you drive on the lake BUT LOTS of overflow. I would take the sled as there was about a 1-1/2" frozen layer over the overflow I think a sled would beable to float over it. Good luck... about 15" of good ice...

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:06 PM »
did you guys walk on or drive on

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:36 PM »
we drove on in some old tracks that were frozen and we did fine. They went to the rock. THEN some guy came out bonziing and tore the ruts up in good shape. had a hard time getting off.I would probably drive on again If I had a second truck there. you are very limited on where you can access fishing if you just take a vehicle..

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Just wanted to see how everyone did today I know there was a bunch of you out there.  How far can you drive out on the lake if at all.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:12 AM »
The overflow is froze solid. The only problem now is the ruts that got made last week. Once your over those you got it. About 22" good ice. was there Friday 4 groups counting us. Lots of wind but with the rig out there used as a wimd block was not bad in the quick 6 at all. No big fish but between three of us we caught and released (no joke) 130 fish went to barbless and no bait after about 10 min. Biggest we got around 16 lots around 8-10. was using 1-1/2" gold pimples. good luck also jigged 4 suckers OH YEAH lake louise here I come baby....

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:12 PM »
hey dube you use them suckers for bait? if so how good does it work?
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:02 PM »
hey hey keep it down dont want everyone to know that sucker work great for cut bait. Not really a secret. Been fishing up here 13 years through the ice and this is the first I've caught them through the ice. We usually get them in the spring when they spawn. Most creeks will have plenty if you know where to look. yeah cut that puppy up and jig works great

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:40 PM »
We went out today and fished a little shallow so we didn't catch anything big for a change.  Kind of sucks but we did notice there is still overflow if you drive past the rock and deeper snow.  Gonna head out on tues. a little birdy told me exactly were the big fish cruise through so 20+ plus inchers better watch out.

Offline Kotton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:43 AM »
Well I am ending my my month long vacation to Oahu and I hope I can break the curse of 09 ice fishing I haven't caught a fish under the ice since 08 unless u seen me tear up my friends up before the new new Years of 08 when I caught 4 fish over 30" unless u count the 9" I katched at matnuska lake ( Dave catched a 12" incher damn it) well I have int been skunked if u count the Hawaii fish I caught this year, they fight better than any alaska fish exept a big ol skate, well I'm coming back with a vengence JKW u can't Beat me I now the only fish u caght this year was at beer can. Don't lie. Gonna stop at long ( cause all the stuff I heard from u guys) on the way to crosswind fish beware of kottonwoodkids set lines. Pirates of crosswind  will rape and pilage again 

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:10 AM »
we'll hafta to see about that you trash talker.......this is gonna be my year to outfish you guys... better make sure you can setline on long....dont know if you can or not. see you tomorow you jerk!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:00 PM »
pretty sure you cant set line in the matsu lakes, except 5 lines for pike in certain lakes, (not long lake)  I did go out last night, looks like the overflow is froze under the snow past the rock, only problem is there was only 14 inches of ice there where i checked.  Had the kids and it was dark so i didn't venture out in the 10 inches of snow....who knows, you hit a drift and you could end up with overflow, get stuck, or worse find 6" of ice and put your truck through.  Maybe myself, but not with my wife and kids.  I honestly doub latter though...I think i need a plow for my truck!!!! 8) anyhow, someone with some guts run down the lake for us all!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:34 PM »
you know the funny thing is ive tried to talk kotton into fishin that lake and he never would till he stumbled on this post! haha no set lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.