Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2014  (Read 74036 times)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2014
« Reply #570 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Come hither young fisherman....for I have Cusk for you.... *batting eyelashes*

;D ;D ;D Funniest line yet!

But, hey how 'bout us older than dirt fishermen??

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #571 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:49 PM »

;D ;D ;D Funniest line yet!

But, hey how 'bout us older than dirt fishermen??

Just cuz you ordered, doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu!  ;)

Sorry, Steph.    :-[

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #572 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Apparently I've found my picture for Match.com lol.

Okay, let's talk about fishing again.  ::)

I went yesterday after work and caught nothing.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline cfinnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • For love of the Irish
« Reply #573 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:07 AM »
We are going to have to start calling this place "No fish NewFound"during ice season.  Have not had a good ice season this year.  Killed it every weekend during spring,summer, and fall though.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #574 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:10 AM »
We are going to have to start calling this place "No fish NewFound"during ice season.  Have not had a good ice season this year. Killed it every weekend during spring,summer, and fall though.

So that's who killed them all!!!

It can be hit or miss out there at times.

Keep trying, it'll happen.

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #575 on: Mar 27, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Guinea congrats on your one night get-a-way.  Love the pic kinda like Victoria's Secret.   ;D

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #576 on: Mar 27, 2014, 11:50 AM »
That is a picture for the ages. Nice cusk. I jigged in my jammies a few times when I was younger.   :unsure:

:roflmao:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #577 on: Mar 27, 2014, 12:22 PM »
The season we've been waiting for and have been enjoying is slowly winding down. Say it isn't so!!!

Hard to believe it's coming to an end.  :'(

There are a ton of good memories from this season and some bad ones too (more good than bad) that I'm starting to reflect on.

In typical Newfound Circus fashion we are planning to pitch in and pull all the bobhouses off the lake on Sunday, the last weekend day of the 2014 season. All on together, all off together. No one left behind.

For those interested, we are holding our Newfound Circus get together on Saturday March 29th. This is where we all come together to reminisce about our season, share some stories, share a bunch of food and get to say to each other "Till next season, stay safe and see you soon".

Bitter sweet days ahead and still a lot of work needed to put together our Newfound Circus 2014 Season video of some of our shenanigans that can be shown. There were so many things too that were missed on video which I regret. If you have any video's or pictures you can send me, I'd be happy to incorporate them into the video. Obviously they need to have been taken from Newfound Lake.

Go Go Get Em!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #578 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:14 AM »
3/28/2014

CH and I decided to take the day off and try a new spot.

Paid off for her so far, she caught one that tied us for the season and then proceeded to yank up another with Lawnguyjack here, show off.

That now puts her one ahead of me for the season but the days not done yet.

Both were caught on pink and purple bucktail with Cut sucker meat.

Raining out here at the moment but it's warm and dry inside the bottom house.

More later.......

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #579 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Radar looks wet for the next few hours. Hope the catching in the shack heats up!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #580 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:02 PM »
PARTY AT JIGGIN'S.  :thumbsup: :woot:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #581 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:29 PM »
PARTY AT JIGGIN'S.  :thumbsup: :woot:

Too funny!

Yup!! PARTY AT JIGGIN'S!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #582 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:51 PM »
No more lakers caught however we did see them constantly throughout the day. Aggressive yet didnt take the hook. Several times saw 2 come in at the same time, play around with CH's jig (never taking the hook) and swimming off only to return later.  Kept us entertained.

Rained on and off. Snow was absorbing it all so it wasn't too slushy. There is about 3 - 4" of snow on the lake with 27" of ice below. When we drilled out the holes in the house, I ended up needing to chisel about 3" of ice to get through. While drilling the holes for tip ups, I had to stop so that I could clear the slush / snow out of the way so not to soak the power head. Still plenty of ice out there.

Had Chilli with Hot Dogs for lunch today (we forgot the buns). I think CH is now regretting that decision.  :flex: :blink: :wacko:

Below are the 2 lakers CH got today bringing her 1 up on me for the season. Video attached too.

Video of CH in action....Lawnguyjack providing some help with the line tangle.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #583 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:31 PM »
No more lakers caught however we did see them constantly throughout the day. Aggressive yet didnt take the hook. Several times saw 2 come in at the same time, play around with CH's jig (never taking the hook) and swimming off only to return later.  Kept us entertained.

Rained on and off. Snow was absorbing it all so it wasn't too slushy. There is about 3 - 4" of snow on the lake with 27" of ice below. When we drilled out the holes in the house, I ended up needing to chisel about 3" of ice to get through. While drilling the holes for tip ups, I had to stop so that I could clear the slush / snow out of the way so not to soak the power head. Still plenty of ice out there.

Had Chilli with Hot Dogs for lunch today (we forgot the buns). I think CH is now regretting that decision.  :flex: :blink: :wacko:

Below are the 2 lakers CH got today bringing her 1 up on me for the season. Video attached too.

Holy guacamole! I've never seen a laker pulled in so quickly! I guess you don't believe in "playing" them!

Video of CH in action....Lawnguyjack providing some help with the line tangle.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #584 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:15 PM »
We pick them up and put them down.

Then get to the choppa!

:flex:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #585 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:32 PM »
LOL...did u see Arnold on the tonight show too??

Offline Hounded819

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #586 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Was realy hoping to make it down there one last time. But with the weather and racing season competing fast won't make it. But I will be there next year for sure. Still need to catch a fish on the big water

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #587 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:08 PM »
03/29/2014

We had our end of the season get together and what a day! Weather cooperated and saw plenty of lakers on the camera. Great chatter on the radio. Too funny! Beerhog brought his house out for the day while others are thinking of bringing their house in for the season. Only guy I know that brings his house out after he already brought it home a week ago. What a great crew.

At noon Chef Troutfreak started up the grill and we all came together. Plenty of food and awesome company.
Biggest laker caught was by Bearcub @ 22" with Tippin coming in second @ 19.5", Congrats Bearcub, thanks for showing us up.

Just as we were getting ready for our group shot, Fletcher and Bonnie made their appearance. Getting worried they weren't gonna make it but they came through. Got lots of pictures and video which I will post up later.

Although there are so many things I can write about that happened during the day, I have to tell you this:

Something happened towards the end of the day that made a very powerful impression on me and made me realize that the Newfound Circus actually makes a difference and can impact folks lives in a positive way.
A gentleman came walking across the wet lake in sneakers towards us. As he approached, he walked right up to me and asked me if I was Jiggin. I replied Yes, can I help you? He reached out and shook my hand and with a sincere look on his face, thanked me. Puzzled I asked him why, why are you thanking me? He told me that he had been given the news about 7 years ago that he had been diagnosed with Cancer. He apparently started reading "Jiggin's diary" and then the "Newfound Circus" threads and it helped him through those tough years which helped him survive. Being able to live vicariously through these threads as he couldn't get out to enjoy it himself. He wasn't expected to make it past 2012 but here he is now. I immediately thanked him for his kind words but I have to admit that I was completely speechless. I was completely floored. I asked him, you walked all the way out here to thank me, which he replied Yes. I asked him where he was from and He lives around Mt. Washington area and borrowed a friends vehicle to come down to say thank you. A bucket list item. It was extremely powerful, hit me hard, made me realize that we do have an impact of folks lives. Just writing this, I get goose bumps. It was a very sobering experience. Words really cant describe the impact.

This person I believe is a private person so I'll just call him "Harry".
"Harry" if your reading this, First I hope you don't mind me posting this. I can not thank you enough for you stopping in to see me / us. You've made a permanent impact on my life which I will never forget your words and what you did for me. It gave me my second wind to keep on keeping on. It made writing these threads each year truly meaningful and gave me clarity.
Honestly, I was seriously thinking that this would be my last year doing this on IS as we are also on Face Book. Seemed silly to have 2 forums for the Newfound Circus "diaries". 

I remember when I first started writing about "Jiggin's diary", for selfish reasons, pretty much written so that I wouldn't forget my adventures. I had gotten some flack from a few about being "Hero" shots, showing off, providing no info etc.
At that time, I had told my wife that it wasn't worth it as I was getting some flack from others and was going to stop. One person PM'd me and told me he had broken his back. He enjoyed reading my threads and to not stop as he couldn't get out. I decided to keep at it cause I knew that 1 guy was reading it and enjoyed it. I finally got to meet him this season too. He is a farmer and knows who he is. A private person so I wont post any names. I really enjoy meeting him this year and wanted to tell him too that I appreciated his response to keep the thread alive.

Now back to "Harry". "Harry" is a lurker on IS and he also knew about Guinea losing her chisel. Guinea your good Karma has paid off and he had brought a couple of buckets of ice fishing items that no one deserves any more than Guinea. I know she was very touched too by your generous offerings. This also changed my perception dramatically towards "lurkers".

An incredible way to end the season for me (and most likely Guinea too). I am very humbled and have learned more than I could have ever. Thank you for reading the Newfound Circus thread AND thank you for reminding me the "pay it forward mentality" does live on.

I just had to share this story with the rest of the IS folks to let you know that your input on IS can and is creating a very powerful positive impact on some.

Pictures and videos forthcoming.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #588 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:14 PM »
03/30/2014

Sunday, day after the get together.

Laker Taker fished today for a bit and so didn't Beerhog. Hard core.

We gathered the crew and did the removal of the bobhouses today. Weather held off, didn't rain but sprinkled from time to time. It was good to see everyone working together to accomplish a common goal. No one left behind.

Launch was much better than last year, no planks needed this year as there is solid ice. Pulled all the houses off the lake, got em on the trailers and lined up for our Newfound Circus Bob House parade.

Thanks everyone for helping out and to a great 2014 season! So much fun and so many funny memories. I will start to put together the Newfound Circus Season 2014 video (which will take me a while) and will post it up as soon as I can but for now, I need to rest. Been a long season and looking forward to sleeping in.

CHEERS!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #589 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Well, I didn't make it pout today, but I'm going to try to get out early tomorrow and go out for a while. Ladybug will be meeting me after work. We have a new toy to try out.

I had a great time at the get together; seeing everyone that I don't normally see, as I can't get around the lake for visits. I think Jake is my new best bud; he came over to visit, and tell me about the HUGE rainbow he caught, and about everything his dad did over the season lol. Way to go Lawnguy, you've got quite the little fisherman there!

There was lots of fun to be had! I'm glad I spotted Jiggin in his bobhouse when the snowball fight was getting fast and furious...."I'm coming in!!!" amid the hailstorm of snowballs....but I made it! lol

The biggest part of the day, which left me dumbstruck, and I'm still at a loss for words, is when Fletch hailed me over to meet "Harry".

Harry told me that he had a bunch of gear he no longer needed, and he was giving it to me. When he said "an old chisel, I expected some old homemade rig (which are awesome too!), but what I got was a Jiffy 2 piece chisel. The bucket with the rod holders will come in very handy as well. I still haven't dug through the buckets to find all the little hidden gems, hooks and miscellaneous stuff.

Wow, what a giving man, I thought. How sweet of him to think of me, and my lost chisel (this new one will have "Guinea" engraved in it!).

And then I opened another bucket. I thought I would cry, but I remember Frog telling me "there's no crying in icefishing!".
I'll put it this way; I just finished watching the video on YouTube about how a MarCum LX-5 works. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Harry, I never considered myself to be so deserving of these wonderful gifts, but when I tell you I will put them to use and take great care of them, I mean I will cherish all of it, and the thought that you were so giving towards me. I've got a lot to pay forward after this one. Thank You, from the bottom of my heart, where the memory of meeting you and what you have done for me will live forever. I just don't know how to put it all into words, and I hope you can really feel my gratitude over this typing. I was just so at a loss for words yesterday, I didn't know what to say.

Thank you again, Harry.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #590 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I think that is great!! Harry I do not know who you are but I think you are a great person. For what you did for this young lady of the Circus of which I am not a member. However I love to read about your community. And As far as Guinea who I also don't know, It sounds from all I have read and heard about her She is a great Gal and really enjoys the wonderful sport we all Love. Maybe it was a meant to be her loosing her chisel, For maybe a great person like Harry would have given his used equipment to someone else instead. Kudos to both of you. and this is one of the reasons I enjoy this site.
PB

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #591 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:14 PM »
harry...sorry i didnt get to see you but when jiggin told what you did today i teared up a little........
had a great season !!!....this ones for harry..

p.s.....vote we call the eagle/osprey....'HARRY
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #592 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Just a beautiful thing, Harry we're all pullin' for ya! Great bunch of people here on IS and a fine example of comradery and sportmanship with the Newfound Circus. I may not be a member of the circus in person but I am in my heart and soul, and Harry I believe you felt the same way just by reading Jiggin's post just as I have. So Jiggin'  Go Go Get em!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #593 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Jiggin and Guinea thanks for the post there are great people out there. best regards Harry

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #594 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Unbelievable!  Great job guys.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #595 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Only made it to the Circus once this year as a guest, but it was a blast spending the day on the lake and on 5.5 and meeting some of the members at the gathering... 

Jiggin, I don't think Harry is alone when it comes to reading the circus thread... it is the first one I look for when I log into IS. What you folks have going on on that lake is incredible and I just wish it was closer so I could spend more time there.  I know the time you take to write up the circus updates and time you spend checking on the lake and circus members is significant, but I am sure there are many many members that appreciate and enjoy it.

"Harry", just taking the time to visit is incredible... you have obviously paid it forward, best wishes to you and as Riverrat said, we are all pulling for you!

Thanks for the posts... 

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #596 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Powerful read Jiggin, thank you for posting.  All I can say is I'm such a fan of the "circus" and hope to visit someday with my boys and hope you don't stop posting regardless of what some "craniums" say or do. 
"Harry" best wishes to you, your kindness towards Guinea is really incredible and why I love this sport and this forum..

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #597 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Quite the story Jiggin. I would have been speechless too. Don't shut the Circus down. Harry that was real special what you did for Guinea. I always try to think that there is a reason that things happen so maybe this was one of them with the lost chiesel. Hang in there Harry and next year try to make it out to fish with the Circus.

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #598 on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Powerful stuff right there!! I think there are many lives impacted by the Circus. What better reason for a 2015 season of Newfound Circus.

I agree with Tippin on the handle.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #599 on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:01 AM »
All I can say is...as a "part time" lurker myself...what a wonderful way to end a season! Perhaps, next season, ice willing, I will make more of an effort to get out and experience "The Circus" for myself. I capitalize the words "The Circus" because I believe that is stands as a monument to a great event, with many, great, human beings participating toward a common goal of not just catching fish, but being giving, comical, wonderful folks! What goes around does come around...in spades! Thank you Jiggin, for being you and giving us all something to follow throughout our long NH winters! I did get out there on several occasions this season but I guess these were "slow" Circus days because I was pretty much by myself out there...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.