Author Topic: Burbot in Lake Champlain?  (Read 6707 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Burbot in Lake Champlain?
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:32 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has tried fishing for Ling in Lake Champlain? I know that people will occasionally catch one through the ice but there really seems to be no one that fishes for them or heard of them for that matter. If so how and where are some good places to try.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Burbot in Lake Champlain?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:03 PM »
WVBoy,
You might be better off trying Magog or Willoughby. I've never heard of anybody targeting burbot on Champlain. Not that people don't, but I just have never heard of it. I'll ask around and see what I come up with.

Most folks I know target them at night with dead suckers right on the bottom. I'm not sure if they relate to structure of just roam the bottom looking for food. I believe they tend to be in the same places as lakers, so if you set up for lakers in a spot, you might want to stay a couple hours after dark and see what happens.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:51 AM »
Esox,
I think they are in the same locale as lakers. I have done some research and it suggest that you really are only able to catch them in the winter because they reside so deep in summer. And at night is the best time to catch them because they will rise to humps and plateaus in about 50ft of water (I think). I would just like to catch one for the hell of it.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline bendog412

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hole driller
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 03:30 PM »

I know there's a spot known as Ling Point in Westport; probably a local name but I guess there's a reason for it...I'm gonna give 'em a try some night...drop a stinky old minnow to the bottom and jig after dark....should be a challenge

Offline mtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:09 AM »
WVBoy,

Regarding cusk biting in winter/summer, these fish sort of hibernate in the summer.  Tracking studies revealed very little to no movement in the summer and the researcher thought that the tags had fallen off.  This wasn't the case when the pre-spawn rolled around and the cusk roamed once again.

Good luck!

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot in Lake Champlain?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I have fished ling in champlain for a few years with some pretty good success. We fish at night in the deep water (50-80ft)were the smelt are biting. Thompsons point is always been good and Basin harbor is another great spot. Try using a 3/4 oz bell sinker and to the sinker attach a snelled hook. Then hook a side of smelt, just hook it by the end so it looks kinda like a minnow. Drop the rig to the bottom and start bouncing the sinker of the bottom stirring up the silt. Then hang on! Good fighters and good table fair! Good luck.
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline leclairro

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Burbot in Lake Champlain?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:32 PM »
A buddy of mine and his dad go out on South Bay for burbot, usually pretty lucky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.