Author Topic: Burbot Pics... What do they eat? WOW!  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Burbot Pics... What do they eat? WOW!
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Here's a burbot I had caught.  He's a nice sized fish, but the really neat thing was his weight in proportion to his length.  He was just over 36" and his weight was a nice 15.1 lb fish on a registered scale.  Nice fat burbot for his proportions. Anyways, I happened to look down his throat, and low and behold, a tail was sticking' out.  So we grabbed a pliers and pulled the tail backward to reveal a nice 22" or so sucker half digested!!!!!  I'd expect this from a pike or muskie, but a burbot?  Top of the food chain I tell ya! :D :D :D 

Here's the fish before exhuming the sucker.....

Huh, look a tail!

Half way out of the mouth....

WoW, neat stuff!

Here's the fish without the sucker.  Kinda skinny eh!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: Burbot Pics... What do they eat? WOW!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 02:20 PM »
WOW!!!!22" sucker, thats incredible :o. Now i know why people use big bait for those guys!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Cool pics BD. I'm sure thats the size the Manitoba boys are hopeing to catch in the burbot category. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Mouth that full and going for more, yep thats the burbot.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2005, 04:40 PM »
Sweet looking burbot...I really like their colouration.  As TGF said in the photos forum, top of the food chain.

TGF...that one looks small compared to what Fishermom had on and we (unfortunately) see piled like logs from when they get caught up in the commercial nets, so the MB folk definitely have a shot.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Wow.....that's wild.....I knew they were aggressive but that's amazing.:o  I'm surprised some fish even eat when I see what's in their bellies.  Here's one from a few years back.  It's the stomach contents of an 8lb laker.  Not as impressive as your burbot Barley, but surprising enough.

I apologize in advance for the graphic nature of this photograph :sick:

Trevor

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Nice pics all....but it doesnt compare to Mountainmama's first of the year...."last Year".....your super eating burbot.........pale in comparison.........jus t a little burp in the day for Manitoba's big eating monsters!!!......she will show you....come on Mountainmama!!!....Grump ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2005, 10:02 PM »
Grump and Thriller now stop the BS and show us those huge Manitobian burbs! :roflmao: :roflmao: HAHAHA!  Bring on your "ringer" Grump,  SHE'LL bail you ya out! :whistle:  Wait until KP, Jake, and the rest of the AK burbot clan post up! :flex:  Trouble on the horizon from the darkhorse up north eh?

Trevor,  Man that's flippin' sick brother!  No really, it's pretty neat you took that shot.  We opened a laker about the same size last year with a big grayling in it.  That fish of your's was a skilled hunter for sure!  Look like lake ciscoes?  Great shot! ;)2
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Man oh man, that burbot had one heck of a meal there, yeah they are not just scavengers, very efficient predators. If they see an opportunity at an easy big meal they go for it. Now we know the size of bait we need for monster burbot. :D
That laker had a good appetite too, those to fish must have been annoyed into biting, it also looks pretty full. :)
It can be gross at time but stomach contents can really tell you what they are keying in on, just have to watch for tapeworms. :P
Interesting photos Barleydog and Trevor. ;)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Yeah I've found good sized rocks in burbots stomachs before. As well as fish of varying sizes but never out the mouth partially digested other end. Our lakers here have a fish or 8 in as well depending on the size of bait. Great shots guys ;D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:44 PM »
I've found a lure i lost on the bottom in ones belly along with a red-backed vole (no mistaking- not digested yet) and i've found 3 burbot in the belly of a 13 pounder and the biggest was an 18 incher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.