Author Topic: Burbot biting?  (Read 10207 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Burbot biting?
« on: Feb 25, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Was in Alberta and surprised to catch a few burbot. Not so much that I caught burbot but the way they bite the bait I was using. I would watch my rod tip and they would just suck on the bait and inhale slowly. Here in BC they just hammer it. Any explanations? I was also using same fishing method. Also had poor results using squid in Alberta but is the killer here in BC. Nice to see your pics Jake. My biggest so far this year is 11.4 lbs but have not been out much as off in Latvia. Hope to land a 20lb plus burbot that the old boys around the lake talk about.

grumpymoe

Re: Burbot biting?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2004, 02:51 PM »
i haven't been out this year for burbot, but will certainly be targeting them for the dauphin derby next month. i have found on past days, that they occasionally hit soft, much like a walleye nibbling. many do hit extremely hard and most often do. maybe just the time of the year. ??? ??? as far as bait......just goes to show you that what works in one place, may not work in others. variation of presentation and changing our own thought about what they want...grumpy

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2004, 06:43 PM »
well lately they have been hitting the hardest i have seen, they are full of lampreys and just got off the spawn.  They are fighting excellent(for burbot that is)...But i have noticed that some nights when you have action, particularly before the spawn, they will take the bait lighter.  I think it has to do if they are moving well and barametric conditions.   But after the spawn, they just want to rip the rod out of my hands.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2004, 06:56 PM »
Well just a side note here as This a new way for me but Fisherman jake told me to use the GLow soft body baits Where i used to use dead minnows and just let them sit...Anyhow with my old method the Burbot would hit lite and i would have to wait for them to inhale the Minnow before setting the Hook. With his method of jerking the soft bait off the bottom much like i do for perch I have found that they hit hard much like a Bass i had them fight really well all the way up....The hits were agressive as heck...Anyhow with only the 2 pound burbot to compare it to it was really nice fight. If i had caught them in the 12 pounds like jake does it would be a awesome fight in deed. Anyhow if i catch them this weekend as well i will be able to tell ya if its the time of year or just the new technique that makes them hit hard. Tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:59 PM »
I normally jig the way Jake does with a glow jig and have for years. Just was noticing the Alberta boys were talking about how light they bite when set lining. I thought they were full of it cause all the burbot here in BC hit hard. So I put out a line in Alberta and sure enough you could see then sucking the bait lightly. I even tried jigging and they hit a little harder but no where near what they do here in BC. I was also noting Jake that I have 90% better hookups when I jig very slowly as compared to jigging heavily like you do in Alaska. I do however jig heavily when the jig hits the bottom for the first few times, then I slow it down. I tried it fishing beside someone (10 yards away) once and he jigged fast while I jigged slow. We were both bouncing off the bottom. I caught and released 15 and he landed 1 before he switched to a slower technique and started catching. Germ: Let those youngsters grow up. I throw back any burbot under 5lbs. Keep up to  8 lbs, any bigger and I throw them back.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:28 PM »
for the most part i just steady jig,  hit bottom, up 16 inches, then drop, as soon as it hits again lift. I've had hits and slowed my presintation...they seem to come back quicker when it you remain contstant.  I think it really matters on what they are feeding on, and the presentaion.  The thing about jigging fast is that you get alot of attention to your jig and that helps bring fish in from farther away.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Well i guess it is the "One man's junk is another man's treasure" Syndrome. You see iI've yet to catch any Ling over 3. I only fish Ling In one lake because its close to my inlaws ANd i know the roads are ok. Problem being that i Have a bit to go for Ling even when im up there or at least for the big ones..Sometimes the roads aren't call that safe or plowed even..LOL anyhow Ya i guess i could hit the LAke of bays When im up in 2 and a half weeks lol. Anyhow Harp lake doesn't produce any Big ling or at least iv'e never heard of anyone catching Ling at 5 pounds but would be glad to hear of anyone who can catch them Big near Huntsville. Tight lines and just a side note  Ling Over a pound are in GERMs tummy regardless...Like throwing away a treasure....Tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:51 AM »
You should come out west Germ and experience some real ling fishing. Things are bigger out here.
Question Mr Germ: When you are cleaning your ling, do you cut the yolk sack off first or try and fillet around it. ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:59 AM »
terrygonefishing  grump here from manitoba (ex ontario). over the years, i've yet to see any large burbot (ling) in any of the lakes that i ever fished. i know there must be some that produce larger fish, but of any that i caught, were no larger than 2-3 lbs. the coloration is much darker as well, probably due to the fact that the hold in deeper, cold water. now up here, the color is light tan, with some that hold in the red river, darker due to less light. i'd have to say that they are also pretty decent scrappers too. where do you get your glow jigs, and what size works well??? grumpy

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2004, 08:32 AM »
OK, I'm just ribbing Germ a bit. It is nice to have something up on you Easterners. You guys must drool when you see pics of Jakes western keepers. I got my jigs from on the coast (Terrace and Prince Rupert BC) a few years back. I've caught lakers on them as well. I'm not talking about little lakers, I mean real lakers, 10-50lbs.In the early years I used anything that glowed. My jigs are approx 5-6 inches long (same size as an Eastern keeper burbot :o :o :o) In what province do you think the burbot shrink grumpymoe. When I was in Alberta the biggest I saw caught was 5lbs. Not sure about Saskatchewan. But 2-3lbs for Manitoba and Ontario, wow. Minnesota south of you has some 15lbers.Thanks for another reason to never move back to Ontario as my family has been bugging me too. Hard to leave those 60lb spring salmon that come up our rivers.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:37 AM »
terrygonefishing  lake winnipeg, lake manitoba, the red river and some other lakes hold healthy BIG burbot, no different than what you and fishermanjake catch. 36" and up is not uncommon at all.  thanks for replying on the glow jigs/size..grump  p.s. i believe the manitoba record is 42.5"

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2004, 11:45 AM »
the lures we use are saltwater primarily... the jigs i use are designed for halibut and rockfish.  All you got to do is get a cabella's saltwater catalog... they got some nice big glow in the dark soft bodies in there.  What i use for burbot is likely to catch anything that is real big....pike, lakers, big char, sheefish....anything that gets over ten pounds.  I plan to use them for lakers when i get out.  If the fish aren't finicky, go with the biggest you think they will hit, that way you draw more fish into you. 

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Well boyz that was really funny about me filleting around the egg sack...Nearly p@ssed my pants laughing.  Nice one (pat yourself on the shoulder) anyhow on a lbright side i just had a gusy wh posted on the Ontario forum about him and his friends catching a 10 pound Ling on Simcoe....Now i was just wondering if one of you guys are up to this or what? If not then im going to be bugging this guy untill he tells me where he caught it...I mean i live on simcoe and if he can catch a 10 pound then im all over that area within the next couple of weeks for sure..Anyhow guys tight lines and thanks for the laughs and ill post any pictures of the ling i catch over 2 pounds....Sniff sniff yes i get excited when i see jakes Monster size ling,.......Man oh man love to vist and fish there but wouldnt want to stay....LOL tight lines!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2004, 01:21 PM »
I guess Barleydog and I are heading out tomorrow night to hit burbot... the bite should be picking up pretty quick....he's got a 10 inch auger so i can get my 20 pounder up through the hole ;D  Anyway they should be biting and taking hard... Another thing i noticed was if you dead stick the rod, little ones will hit slowly(the ones who take a bit to get the lure down.  If you are continually jigging they cant really not hit hard, on the upswing it sets the hook....and with my trailer treble hook...DEADLY..if they just want to play we sometimes snag them, makes for a heck of a time trying to pull a 7 pound burbot out of an 8 inch hole when its snagged just behind the pectoral fin.  They fight harder when they are snagged :o  Not supposed to snag them, but its about 20-30 feet deep at night..not like you can help it.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2004, 03:59 PM »
The hair on my back stands up Jake when you say the "C" word. Us boys in Canada have to pay the exchange rate plus shipping when ordering out of the States. I go saltwater fishing on the coast once a year so spend some time at local tackle shops. I guess this wouldn't work if you lived inland some so the expense would'nt be that much. Were you ever a boyscout Jake? I think you must have been cause you always seem to be prepared. 10 inch hole for that 20lber. Thanks for the tips. Yes I also have good luck with trailer hooks when fishing a glow Bionic Bucktail. I have not seen the need to stick them on my big jigs as I'm always busy at the hole C&Ring. Sure glad alot of people in BC haven't caught onto the joys of freshwater ling fishing. NO I didn't post any ling replies about Lake Simcoe. Imagine the possibilities heh germ. Right off your doorstep. I have learn't over the years that fish grow when on the ice. Was fishing with some locals and I pulled up a keeper sized ling. They were commenting that "That is a 10lb plus fish" I said 6lbs. Which they laughed at. Someone had a scale and it weighed in at 6.5lbs. Some guys left saying the scale was wrong. A good way to estimate is by measuring them and adding if they are full of eggs or big stomachs. Ask the Simcoe boys how long their 10 lb burbot was. Then you can do the rough calculations. Happy searching.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2004, 04:41 PM »
ten pound burbot...unless its super fat...34-36 inches... last one i got officcially weighed was 12.42 pounds and 38 inches.  After the spawn that is.  I guessed 12 pounds right out of the hole, showed it to my buddy's landlord, he said 14, anyhow...i've caught so many this season(70) (i know i should be able to do that in one day) i've got a pretty good idea of what they weigh when they come out, just by what they look like.  Guessed 10 on my buddy's that night too, ended up being 9.98 lbs

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:01 PM »
Ya i know what you mean about size....happens alot when i fish perch lol..Anyhow ya they said they will be getting me the picture this way ill sned it or post it on the forum and ill let JAke make the guestimate in Size ...I say if its over 3 pounds ill be fishing them for sure...Ya i knwo right on my doorstep...LOl...Ive tried for them on simcoe and haven't had any luck...At all ..Ive even left nite lines without hooks to see if they would hit...More like a lil baited meal for them but no takers which means no ling in that area...I'll try fishing primarily for Ling all next week on Simcoe to see if i can get any...Anyhow guys tight lines!

trapperdirk

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2004, 10:49 AM »
 Lots of lakes in Ontario that have ling in them 10 plus pounds . My personal best was a 13 .
  That lake that Germ fishes in is just a glorified beaver pond anyway so what does he expect . LOL . His inlaws cottage is even close to some bigger lakes but Germ is just a homebody with no sense of adventure . LOL
   He uses a 4 inch auger too so his mindset is for small fish . LOL . I personally use a 10 inch auger and try for bigfish unless I want table fare . Germ , germ , germ, get a bigger auger and think big fish and you will catch them . ;)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2004, 01:35 PM »
you saw the pics, even if yoou use a 6 inch auger you'll have trouble with getting a ten pounders head through.  Look at the pics of fish coming out of the holes, I use an 8 inch and some of the biggest ones i catch toutch every side of the wole on their way up.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2004, 02:12 PM »
If you build it Germ, they will come. ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Germ,  It sounds like the Trapper has called you out?  Geez you sound like a real Rookie, is that true?  Take your mittins off and show him your knuckles! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Well no just his mindset is a lil narrow..Now he even doesnt remember that my auger isnt even 4 inches it is a 3 and a half inch. Even smaller then what he said...Firstly  iv'e brought 7 pound pike through a 3 and a half inch auger hole. 2nd if ya drill 4 holes or even 3 holes together will be enough for me to get any fish through...4 together would give me a 7 by 7 square Id be getting anything through that...And wouldnt even bust a sweat augering it. And with his post of his ling he would only need a 1 inch by 1 inch Auger for both his pickerel and Ling to get through the hole At the same time...Lol So anyhow the lil auger is light weight and enviromentally friendly and fast as crap in the 2 foot ice ..So ill let him Yammer on like he does this sunday will be the best way to see results from the Old Man Trapper. TIght lines all!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2004, 03:11 AM »
well germ, you better be drilling the quad holes, because i know that a 10 pound ling won't come through a 3.5 inch, you would be lucky to get it through a 6...I have a tough enough time geting the big ones up through an 8.

trapperdirk

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2004, 08:55 PM »
 Yes Jake your correct in that for sure . 1o pound ling have huge heads but the  Germs is bigger by far . LOL . Someday I hope he does hook something bigger than a 11.5 inch perch .
  He'll be really doing some squealling as I stand beside him with the 10 inch Jiffy at idle . LOL . ;D
  Being a boxer in my youth I think the pudgy Germ would be better off with mitts on and chasing his elusive 20 inch perch . ;D
   Poor Germ trying to pull 10 pound ling through the eye of a needle . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2004, 05:18 PM »
Hey DOn't ever underestimate what Germ could bring up thru a 3 and a hlaf inch hole! Tight Lines!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Hope your rod is not the same size Germ.

trapperdirk

« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2004, 12:52 AM »
If ya ever seen the the GERM   his name should be Pigling . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:44 AM »
WEll wont matter to me What size the hole is as i havent even seen my own feet in years! LOL Piglet eh!!! Bring the gloves out will ya...!!! LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.