Author Topic: UP ice conditions?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
UP ice conditions?
« on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:03 PM »
Any ice up on the pen yet? anyone fishing ???
CEO

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: UP ice conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:14 AM »
No safe ice yet. Most of the lakes are skimmed over pretty good though. Flat 0 degrees this morning here at Witch Lake. Been in the single digits at night for a few nights. Perfect ice making weather, Keep our fingers crossed, Maybe we can get on by Christmas.   Steve

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Took a drive past the west end of lake Antoine this morning, ice as far as the eye could see!! By the tracks on the ice it looks as if someone was out fishing yesterday. There was a lot of open water in this area sunday morning, so there can't be much ice yet.

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Shore lines are getting ice up in Escanaba, So I would say by next weekend we might be able to walk out to some close locations if we are careful, but I have been on some small lakes in delta county, with 2-4 inches.  Depends on how much you think is safe for you.  I would say 4 but if you are careful you can make 2 inches work.  Good Luck on the ice Boys it wont be long now!

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Axtell, I was out around Marquette today and actaully walked on a couple of lakes....found a couple of holes where people had already drilled....I would say some lakes up here have at least 2 inches, possibly 4 right now.

Offline northern45

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me at brainerd jaycess tournament
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:13 PM »
harlow lake in marquette has 21/2-3 inches today didnt walk out too far tho some spots looked a little sketchy.

Offline northern45

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me at brainerd jaycess tournament
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:54 AM »
well the snow screwed up the ice out at harlow about 2 inches of slush on top ice is very ify

Offline Letha_Face

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Shore lines are getting ice up in Escanaba, So I would say by next weekend we might be able to walk out to some close locations if we are careful, but I have been on some small lakes in delta county, with 2-4 inches.  Depends on how much you think is safe for you.  I would say 4 but if you are careful you can make 2 inches work.  Good Luck on the ice Boys it wont be long now!
What lakes you talking about? Im from around Cornell and would love to get out on some ice.

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:26 PM »
As of today, there were shanties out on Teal Lake in front of Paisono's. Not too far though..however, there is still a lot of open water out there!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:21 PM »
If it weren't for the fact that bird season is still open and there is little to no snow on the ground, I would have been on the slab this past weekend in Chassell Bay.  Monday is the closing day of the grouse season, just have to hope it doesn't get warm after that as my dogs will still have dibs for one more weekend. 
Chris Raymond

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Cowboy lake in kingsford mi has 5 to 6 inches bad waters in iron mountain has anywhere from 3 to 6 inches in the bay. stay off river channel though.  i  heared sawyer lake in channing has 4 to six have not verified that myself yet. going up there on sat morning will give a report sun. fisher lake in aurora wi has 5 to 6 inches.
and i have not heared anything on the mined ponds yet.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2006, 02:39 PM »
I've heard that the mine ponds have 5+ on them. I'm going Saturday and Sunday, I'll post a report.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:20 PM »
alot of the smaller lakes, how much varies. sporely i've heard has 6in and thats central UP, i've heard grove mine ponds have 5-6in. thats more western, i've heard some small lakes up by houghton have about 6-8in also.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.