Author Topic: Kamlooper spoon for jigging?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kamlooper spoon for jigging?
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:06 PM »
While digging through some older stuff, I came across these 2 spoons. Marked "Wee Kamlooper" on the back. Both were the bronze color on both sides but I tried to brighten one of them and it came out silver on the front. Pretty bright, too.

I found that Acme Tackle lists the spoons in a couple of different sizes; I think this is probably the 1/8" size per their chart.
Would this be a good size spoon to try for panfish?  Maybe for trout? I'm not a big trout fisher even on open water so don't really know where to start for setting up for them. Here in CT the trout are stockers in the lakes and ponds.

I'm new to jigging techniques and tackle and will add them to my ice fishing box if folks think they are worth a try.

Sorry for the distance pic; couldn't get the camera to focus when close up and the flash from a distance his the spoon surface.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kamlooper spoon for jigging?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:34 PM »
i dont see why they wouldnt work. people use little cleos.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Awesome spoon.  It works.

Panfish like crappies, aggressive ones will take it.  I've had a 9" black crappie engulfed a 1 oz. Castchamp while attempting to catch pike.  It's basically just a tad more stubby than a Kastmaster.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:10 PM »
I have had good luck with spoons for perch, trout and whitefish. The Kamlooper spoons are typically a bit heavier than Len Thompson spoons of the same length but still have good action and because of their shape drop slower than the kastmasters of the same weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.