The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1 lb refills  (Read 801 times)

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
1 lb refills
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Who is filling their 1lb cans? Is it keeping the 1 lb can super cold and the 20 tank warm to fill? I got the pounders and the adapter but never filled any yet? how well does it hold?

Offline latemblo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1 lb refills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I didn't know that could be done, come on people I spent over $150 last winter on 1lb tanks   

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:05 PM »
The empty 1lb in the freezer for several hours at least.(overnight is better) Helps to have the 20lber full or at least above half. The 20lber should be room temp for a while. Screw 1lber onto 20lber (valve closed). Turn 20lber upside down with 1lber attached. Open tank valve quickly a couple turns. Wait for 1lber to fill you should be able to hear when gas/liguid transfer slows down.(take a couple minutes. Close tank valve, turn 20lber right side up and disconnect 1lber. Check valve on 1lber for leaks.

They say not to fill 1bers because of the pin type valve. In my experience they usually don't leak but they can sometimes leak. If you get a leaky valve just keep the tank out side to empty itself or attached it to your heater. I have been wanting to make up some caps with o-rings to put on refilled cylinders but haven't got there yet but I usually fill cylinders as I need them.

Obviously the filling part should be done outside. I have weighed the lbers I have done and they are completely full using the method above. Technically it is illegal to transport refilled 1lbers so keep your mouth shut about it. That is why IMO it is best to only refill cylinders that look brand new and keeping the little plastic covers the 1lbers come with on the valve helps to make it look like they are new.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Yep I do it exactly like was mentioned above.  I've used the same one pounder for YEARS.  Once in a while you'll get one that leaks.  If so put it on your heater and when it is empty toss it out.  If you run heater in your shack and fish regularly it’s the only way to fly.  If you go to a place that refills the 20 pound tanks rather than exchanges them you can get them fill up cheap. 

There is also a valve in the top of the one pound tank you can bleed the air out of the tanks and get a little more in them.  In the grand scheme of things it does not really get you that much further ahead.       

Offline latemblo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Where to get adapter?
Thanks

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:32 PM »
i think fish usa has them for 15.00 and free shipping

Offline latemblo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Thanks a bunch

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I got mine at Harbor Freight

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:10 PM »
The empty 1lb in the freezer for several hours at least.(overnight is better) Helps to have the 20lber full or at least above half. The 20lber should be room temp for a while. Screw 1lber onto 20lber (valve closed). Turn 20lber upside down with 1lber attached. Open tank valve quickly a couple turns. Wait for 1lber to fill you should be able to hear when gas/liguid transfer slows down.(take a couple minutes. Close tank valve, turn 20lber right side up and disconnect 1lber. Check valve on 1lber for leaks.

They say not to fill 1bers because of the pin type valve. In my experience they usually don't leak but they can sometimes leak. If you get a leaky valve just keep the tank out side to empty itself or attached it to your heater. I have been wanting to make up some caps with o-rings to put on refilled cylinders but haven't got there yet but I usually fill cylinders as I need them.

Obviously the filling part should be done outside. I have weighed the lbers I have done and they are completely full using the method above. Technically it is illegal to transport refilled 1lbers so keep your mouth shut about it. That is why IMO it is best to only refill cylinders that look brand new and keeping the little plastic covers the 1lbers come with on the valve helps to make it look like they are new.

Agree. Got my adapter at Gander Mt.
Ron

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:59 PM »
harbor freight
i use mine year roundfill tanks for ice fishing and use themfor night fishing during the summer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.