Author Topic: electric fillet knife  (Read 1748 times)

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
electric fillet knife
« on: Dec 14, 2022, 02:35 PM »
So, I was thinking of getting an electric fillet knife.  So many out there.
Looking for input from those who have and use one.
Any info would be appreciated.  Geo.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: electric fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I have had several of the cheap mister twisters and they aren't bad. Last year I upgraded to an American Angler it has been great so far.

https://americananglerusa.com/

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2022, 02:46 PM »
I have had several of the cheap mister twisters and they aren't bad. Last year I upgraded to an American Angler it has been great so far.

https://americananglerusa.com/

Yikes $$$  but thanks for the info

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Yikes $$$  but thanks for the info

Cheaper on Amazon but I understand. Some people swear but the black and decker bread knifes I think it is at wal-mart. They are like $15-$20 I believe.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Really like my cordless bubba.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:16 PM »
Electric or cordless?  That makes a difference.  I have a cordless Bubba, but the handle is really big (for my smallish hands) and feels awkward in my hand...unnatural.  I use it for carving ham now.  A corded electric is much better for me ergonomically, but obviously needs a power source.  Hold them both before you buy one is my advice.   I went back old school.  It's what I know and am good at.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:30 PM »
The electric fisherman by Mr Twister.    Mine is 10+ years old and goes through hundreds of fish each year.  Wont break the bank either!!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2022, 04:35 PM »
I bought one from Walmart in the fishing section and not sure the make for like 15 bucks and works great, corded but the boat is in the shop with power and then have the camper generator to run them, works great.

Offline Wiper sniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2022, 04:37 PM »
I have had the Bass Pro XPS fillet knife for 3 years. I fillet a lot of White perch and its amazing. It comes with 3 blades, charger and a really nice case. It is cordless.
Once you get used to using a electric you will be amazed at how fast you can clean a huge mess of fish.I hope this helps.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2022, 05:24 PM »
No issues with my Rapala electric. Literally filet a few hundred Walleye a year with it. Still cuts like butter.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2022, 05:28 PM »
I have an expensive $80 American angler. $30 Storm (rapala), and I also have a Mr Twister $20 electric knife.

All of them work great, and would purchase any of them again.

Mr Twister is a very solid value, and gets the job done. Extra blades are very reasonably priced. the down side of TBE Mr Twister is that the body is a bit bulky, but isn't really an issue.

The $30 storm (rapala) knife is overall great. Does everything it needs. Replacement rapala blades are easy to find and reasonable. Plus is the body is simmer and more ergonomically designed vs the MR Twister. Is it work $10 more.......to the right person.

The American Angler knife is expensive. But came with 2 blades. At $80 is more of a luxury knife IMO.  I guess what makes it more of a luxury knife is due to the power and torque it has when cutting threw the fish. Where the rapala and Mr twister can bog down a bit cutting rib bones on big fish the American angler doesn't and rips through them.

I keep the MR Twister in my ice shack, the American Angler and Storm in the house.

Twister fillets fish when on a 3-4 day Ice castle trip to eat fish on the ice.

Storm & American anglers clean fish after open water trips with the boat and local flip over trips ice fishing around home. Usually catch enough two guys will fillet the fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2022, 05:32 PM »
I bought one from Walmart in the fishing section and not sure the make for like 15 bucks and works great, corded but the boat is in the shop with power and then have the camper generator to run them, works great.

Is it the bright Orange Ozark Trail one? I bought one to keep at my mom/dads place. We did quite a few walleye and fish with it. Cut a lot of sweet corn off the cob to bag. Was supper impressed with it. Then about 1.5 years in......it just quit. It was impressive for the price though.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Mine is black with the orange trigger. Have had it for at least 2 years and have fileted a lot of walleye, a few perch, a couple crappie, and some trout here and there. Might have to buy another one as the trigger is starting to not work a few times after doing about 10 or more walleye at a time.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2022, 07:33 AM »
I've been using electric fish fillet knives for at least 35 years and even electric bread knives in the beginning.  I've had corded and cordless and all have done the job after a fashion.  Some better than others.  About 5 or 6 years ago, I saw an ad for Bubba knives.  Googled them and watched a couple of videos of them in actual use.  They looked legit and I ordered a 7" tapered flex blade.  At first use, I retired all 4 of my other branded knives.  And, within a couple of weeks, after trying to filet wipers out of Willard, I ordered the 9" Stiff blade.  There are those among you that think there are a couple of very expensive filet knives that do a better job of filleting fish.  I say hogwash.   ;D

Bubba blades do it all with little if any maintenance/sharpening.  When I saw the newest addition to their line up a couple years back - Lithium-Ion Cordless Fillet Knife - of course I immediately ordered it.  WOW!  I wouldn't trade it for any other electric fish filet knife made.  The 7" flex & 9" stiff still get used for removing bones and skin, but the cordless electric does the filet cutting.  Are they a little pricey?  You bet.  Are they worth it?  Again, IMHO, you bet!

:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Well thank you all for the input.

I will prob start off with the cheapo  to see if its for me.  Thanks Geo.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Love my R12.  My buddy has the cordless Bubba and that also works great.  Cordless makes it so much more convenient.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Cheaper on Amazon but I understand. Some people swear but the black and decker bread knifes I think it is at wal-mart. They are like $15-$20 I believe.
On my second B&D in 20 years , I did get a lemon last year and purchased another one  I sat down at a fish house in October and filleted 200 #s of perch and didn’t kill the dam thing , cost 12bucks 😃

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:35 AM »
My wife got me the older version of the Rapala lithium for Christmas a couple of years ago and it's great. I didn't use it much this summer unfortunately, but it makes short work of a mess of panfish

Offline Cranky01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2022, 12:30 PM »
I have the corded Bubba and it works great. Came with four blades and case. A 12v adapter would have been a bonus. I've saw the cordless bubba in action, equally impressive and you can use it anywhere. The berkley I had was junk. I have watched guys use American angler and Rapala and they work pretty dang good but not a bubba in my opinion.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2022, 01:36 PM »
I have the corded Bubba and it works great. Came with four blades and case. A 12v adapter would have been a bonus. I've saw the cordless bubba in action, equally impressive and you can use it anywhere. The berkley I had was junk. I have watched guys use American angler and Rapala and they work pretty dang good but not a bubba in my opinion.
Yep, don't even come close to the Bubba.   :clap:
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2022, 04:49 PM »
IMHO    you cant go wronG with a Rapala

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2022, 03:15 PM »
Really like my cordless bubba.

Bubba is expensive but the quality will blow your mind. Sometimes I just stare at mine in amazement.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.