Author Topic: Best Shanty Heater  (Read 11286 times)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best Shanty Heater
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:52 AM »
I had a Mr. Buddy heater that was hard to light,would go out after 5 min. and on rare day would run all day but very sensetive to wind. Returned it to Gander Mountain,and replaced it with Coleman Quadcat 3000 Btu's,used it yesterday ran great but maybe better for my one man Pro trap. Fished with my son in two man 2000 shanty and with the 20 plus mph winds it seemed to be a little cooler than the Mr. Buddy.I also have another heater /cooker  3 settings low,med, high that lights with a match that will blow you out,"to hot" and don't care for lighting with match.Any other good heaters with Auto light and two setting,maybe in the 3000 to 5000 Btu's.There's not alot of small heaters on the market, one of the best is old Coleman radiant with auto and high and low settings but have found very few on Ebay they go for 80 bucks or more plus shipping.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Shanty Heater
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I can't believe all the people that have troubles with their Mr Buddys. I have one and have absolutely no problems with it. I have even used it in my Fish Trap Pro, which is drafty with absolutely no problems, in fact, on low, I was sweating, and it was below zero that day.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:50 AM »
 I like my Paulin heater, It's got an igniter right on it. only when it was -40 with the windchill the ignotor wouldn't start on its own. For the same price or less than a M. Buddy, that is my number #1 choice is the paulin
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline pageman1j

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2007, 03:29 PM »
i also have a clam 2000 and am looking for the best type of heater to use.  and where can i find one of those paulin heaters?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2007, 05:38 PM »
 I got mine at a Scheels. I heat my Frabill Prowler GT to the point of bein in pants and a t-shirt with it. I'd look online at stores and hopefully you can find one in a store near you. They are worth the money, like I said they cost the same as a Mr.Buddy or a little cheaper but it has the built in ignitor.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I have the Mr. Buddy, it works pretty well.  It's really easy to light, and an overall nice pakage, excellent safety features with the low oxygen and also tip-over shut-off.  A couple of things I don't like is that if you knock it, even slightly, it goes out, also it shuts off when the tank is about 1/5th left, so I have lots of bottles with more than a little bit left in them.

Offline titeline22

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I`am not back by sundown.... Just wait longer !
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:01 PM »
my buddy heater is great, as for it turning off if bumped (isn`t that a good thing???)I`d rather light it again than melt a hole in my canvas. If mine shuts off near the end of a tank I relight it and it will run for another 5-10 min. and shut off again. I do this 2-3 times and the tank is empty ,  with no left overs.

Offline jomama

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Come on Ice!!!! BAAAAAA
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007, 07:33 PM »
 Thanks for the info on the Mr Buddy I was thinking of getting one But with the problems I will try somthing else...;)
    BAAAA!!!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:51 PM »
The only one I've ever had is a Mr Buddy so I don't have anything to compare it to.  I do really like it for the safety features ease of starting and heat it puts out.  I use the tanks that have lp left in them on a barbeque and a propane torch to get all the goody out of them.  I think any tank in the cold would do the same.  Also I picked up 3 sided small metal deflecter with small holes on top that was riveted just above the pilot light to keep gusts of wind from blowing it out.  A friend of mine on another site came up with the idea while at work.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2007, 10:06 PM »
Have owned the Portable buddy from Mr.Heater for two years now with no problems whatsoever with the unit. Most of the people I fish with use the Mr.Buddy line of heaters as well and I can't recall ever hearing a complaint :o

Here's a tip(For the buddy)

To prevent problems with your heater blowing out every time you open the trap door you can simply make a hood(Or get one made) to cover the pilot light. I was fortunate enough to get one from a member from another board who made a bunch at work. Screwed mine right onto the unit although you can get away with using magnets if you don't wanna put any holes into your heater.

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:08 AM »
i have two mr. heaters and have never had them blow out when i was fishing outside and one will heat my shack up to the point of having the window open to let it cool down even if i run it on low. in the shack i find that if i use the mr. heater to get the shack warmed up i then use a electric heater to keep the shack at a relatively constant temp and turn off the mr. heater. gas is easier for me to get because i can strap a small jerry can on the back of my sled and run to town if i run out but a propane tank sucks to try and haul on a sled been there done that never again  :P i usually have a couple small tanks of propane with me incase my 20lb tank runs out and im not close to the cabin. i wouldnt trade my mr. heater for anyother type of propane heater because it doubles as a stove which gets used alot  ;D

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I use a Coleman catalytic propane heater.  I use it in my boat in the fall and on the ice out in the open in the winter.  It starts easy, heats up fast has a built in fan that runs on 2 D cell batterys(and they last for quite a while, more than two days worth of use).

Here is a picture and its a decent price:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=1603298&sourceid=1500000000000003260410

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I use a Mr Heater buddy, and it is great, no problems or concerns

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:21 PM »
A good heater will produce 3,000-5,00 btu's. Especially for the coller days.
There are many on the market, investigate.
I have the buddy bought it for $35 bucks on sale at lowes last year.
Thanks youngster for the heades up!

I too have mine blow out and shut off on low tanks, hardly a problem for the hours of comfort it provides.
Just relight it and have a spare tank!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2007, 03:23 PM »
I had the Mr. Buddy and traded up for the Coleman.  Much more reliable and it has yet to blow out!

Good Fishing!

Offline Captain Happy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:49 PM »
   I've gone thru 2 buddy heaters, 1 after 2 days use and returned for a full refund, another lasted about 1 year, and yes I had the propane filter on both of them.  I will never buy another, some have great luck and many of us haven't.  I fish in a trap pro and now I use the origanal sunflower heater, yea it gets warm quick, but I know it will always work.  Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:23 PM »
tip-uptwo:  The guy you got that cover for the pilot light wouldn't go by the handle Munchy71 and be from Des Moines?  Thats the identical thing I've got that was in your picture.  Maybe he got the idea from somewhere else but the story sounds real familiar.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:53 AM »
Lonewolf posted pictures of one he made a few years ago---> http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=27056.msg251710#msg251710
Ken                                          

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2007, 06:44 AM »
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/heaters/mrheater_MH12C.html

I like these heater/cookers because you can just flip them and slap a pan on then to cook up venison, sausage, cookies, whatever... first one was abused for 10-15 years... I've my second for probably 5 years... I ran them off a small 5lb tank for years - but have not replaced the small tank since they changed the tanks a number of years ago....

Offline InTheRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Get the Reddy Heater Hot Spot, IMO its the best on the market, its has a larger foot print but you run it on low with a door cracked and your good to go and if you fish like I do connecting 3-5 shacks you'll need the heat...

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2008, 09:46 AM »
I have used the MR. BUDDY heater for years and have never had any problems with it. I usually just have it on low and its toasty in my Shappell!!

Offline Fred Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:49 AM »
no one uses a good ole duel fuel coleman lantern?  Mine heats up a fish trap guide rather well and is much cheaper to operate than a mr buddy.

Offline Icehead2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:31 AM »
I use a homemade heater that I can also cook on. It burns alcohol stove fuel.
Heats my shanty up nice and warm in no time.

Got the plans off the web just do a search for ice shack heater plans and you will find it.

Or email me at gr8windsurfer at gmail dot com.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I have one of the mr heater cookers also....I loved the thing and hated using matches so i went to Lowes and picked up a Grill electric ignition replacement for like $10 and drilled a small hole mounted just big enough to slide the ignitor through at a 90 degree. i turn the gas on and push the gas release button and the ignitor  and whola......I'll try and take a picture of it.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2008, 01:31 PM »
also just looked for about $3.31 + shipping you can get the parts to have a manual ignition right through mr heater. its 2 parts....the ignitor part 73235 and the wire lead part 73233.........i wanted the electric one myself but this would work just as easy....might find the same thin on clearance at lowes or similar.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails.asp?catid=20

Offline mnoutdoor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:42 PM »
my BUDDY HEATER WORKS GREAT EVAN AT -20.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:09 AM »
I have had a Paulin Pup for many years and love it.  Dependability has never been a factor.  It seems "less tippy" than the buddy heaters.  The heater has seen a lot of run time, because temperature is not a factor when I go out.  I do however, use an inline filter on the propane line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.