Author Topic: 4 wheel ATV or 2 wheel ATV, which will work best for ice fishing?  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
I would like to get a used ATV but, I don't know where or which brand to buy.
Could they be all the same? Also traction is another concern and of course price.
It seems like the 2wd models are lower in cost buy few a grand. Pep Boys has some for sale but, they are off brand and they do not service them… Please help if you can…

:tipup:
Thanks
Morrocco Mole
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
4wd is awesome for icefishing hands down...cant hold my honda back!!

yankem

I've got the Honda Foreman 4x4. Runs over anything except when snow is deeper than my clearence.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Question, with chains on do you think a 2wd model will do or just piss me off... :-\

yankem

I wouldn't go there...wait until you can find and afford a 4x4. You won't be dissapointed.

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
Go to www.unclehenrys.com You can find great deals on used ATV 4 wheelers. Last reply is correct, wait and find a good used 4 x 4

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great! Now it's all price... I would only use it during the short ICE season we have in SE Pennsylvania so, I don't want to pay a lot for this muffler!

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here are mine. Both 4x4's. The Arctic Cat has more power, but the Honda IMO is better quality.

2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
I've got the Honda Foreman 4x4. Runs over anything except when snow is deeper than my clearence.

i got a foreman too...no snow has stopped my honda yet...a foot and a hlaf of slush didnt stop it...get some ITP tires you wont be dissapointed

Offline DIESELWRENCH2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEST TIME TO FISH-EVERY CHANCE YOU GET
under 1 foot of snow a 2 wd will be OK. They are a little cheaper and lighter with less parts involved. This could be important in a used one. Also how heavy of a shanty will you want to pull? Keep in mind that the resale on a 2 wd will have a low value. I would not touch a machine that does not a full service dealer real close. Polaris, Honda and Artic Cats seem to be the most popular.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I have two light shacks one is about 50lbs and the other one is 60lbs… Do you know of anyone that has used a 2wd model with success. We don’t get much snow here. The snow me get 8 inches high at best.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ive got an 86 yama 2 wheel drive i put chains on the rear last year its only a 250  does ok in 8in of snow pulled the shack on and off last year thats the only time i use it itll work but a 4-4 is twice the wheeler
in god we trust

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well I will look out for a good 4wd model... It sounds like it would be best...
I have a 2wd pickup and it does okay in snow with sand bags in the back.... The 2wd ATV was just a thought born from my truck experience...

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
Save up for the 4x4,it will save alot of headaches.Keep an eye in the trader guides at the local mini mart and the paper.Summer would be your best bet for a good deal,if you can hold off that long.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
BlueFox - do you have one? If so, what kind do you have and have you used it on the ice in PA?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
I've got a 06' yamaha grizzly 600 4x4 with Rear chains, it will get its first ice use this weekend, but if the way it performed this summer on the trails up in northern Maine, I am not worried. I would get a 4x4 especially if you will be trying to tow anything on the ice, I recommend chains too, the guy I talked to about them is he gets grip like he is on pavement, when he is on the ice.  So I am gonna go with them, they are like 50 bucks from cabelas. ;D ;D
here's the set up - the chains

yankem

Chains best on front or rear? Or both?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Chains best on front or rear? Or both?
I got them for the rear because I pull lotta weight and usually have my "bigger" buddy sit on the back
LOL

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
You're getting great advice. 4 x4 all the way. I am partial to my Honda Foreman 450S. I like the low granny gear, manual shift, ability to go 2wd or 4wd and the build quality. Stay away from the wheelers that have belt drive. (like a sled) if they get wet they stop moving. I'm not sure if anybody still makes them but you said you were looking used and there were a few I remember. In my experience in deep snow none of them are great with OEM tires. Better with aftermarket, I haven't tried chains.

I see good deals ranging from $2500 - $3500 for these machines. The Honda Rancher is a good price point to. I ended up buying new because of the deal on financing. Only $125 a month. Well worth it.  I use mine for chores around the house as much as anything.

Good Luck!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would highly reccomend going with a 4x4 atv and take a look at ITP tires.

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
I also had a Honda Foreman. It was 2 or 4 wheel, and while I hardly ever NEEDED 4 wheel (2 wheel was more fun for doin donuts  ;D) I'd hate to need 4 wheel and not have it. In my opinion, just on the ice, in my area, I never saw any conditions it wouldn't go through in just 2 wheel, but once you own an ATV, you start looking for nastier places to ride in the summer just to get muddy! ;)2. Wait for a deal on a 4 wheel.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 4wd. I did not have it on the ice but I climbed some outragous hills. I also plow with it and hardly ever use 4wd. Still think you need it and I would not buy a 2wd. Polaris makes an awesome product. You can see alot of good thinking went into it. You may think you are only going to use it for fishing but that will change! You will think of many excuses to use it.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
I really would like to get something but the costs are about as high as engines for boats… 6k is nothing to sneeze at and I would buy a trailer for it so I could use the bed space for ICE equipment.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I thought I remember someone like carpcatcher one time saying it was illegal to use an atv on the ice in Pennsylvania ???  Maybe not :-\ 
You may have a point as any fish commission lake would probably restrict you.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks slipbob I will do that..

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
My Arctic Cat uses a belt drive and has a hi/low gear selector. It's a good system I guess, easy to replace a belt and work on clutches. I could see it slipping if it got wet, but it's covered better than my sleds belt and I have never had a problem getting that wet. Polaris, Arctic Cat, some Yamaha still use the belt system. Others might too, but those are the ones I've seen. I've never needed chains, but I bet they would help a whole lot. Here's my Honda with a 50" plow. It works great to make a ramp to get on and off the lake and clear fishing spots.

2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is a very nice setup... This makes me want one more and more with every posted reply...
 ;D

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just bite the bullet and go getcha one, lol.     That's what I had to do, looked and looked and finally gave in. Next thing I know, it's in the shed.  ;D It must have spawned over night, because now I have two in the shed.  ;)
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r171/t_s_p/cottage005.jpg[/IMG

this is the way I would go

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie