Author Topic: DIY 1 lb propane canister filling  (Read 15548 times)

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
Re: DIY 1 lb propane canister filling
« Reply #30 on: Oct 14, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Take this crap elsewhere. Why is it that anytime someone talks about propane and ways of saving money does some high on his horse person sit ontop a soap box trying to scare everyone that handles it. I'd hate to see what someone like yourself would say about anhydrous.

I just stated facts and forwarded information that others may find useful. My apologies that you seem super sensitive and that these facts upset you or could it just be,

P.S.;  I passed on useful information about the Flame king Refillable cylinders also  ;)
And as for Anhydrous Ammonia,  I spent 5 hours standing in the rain with the HAZMAT team, DCI, Fire Dept and, Sheriffs department because it was suspected that some intelligent entrepreneur put it in a couple 20# grill cylinders. Let me tell you first hand  NOBODY was thrilled to touch those cylinders!!!!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2018, 02:22 PM »
didn't know it was unlawful to fill dot 39 cans. thanks for the info!

just bought 6 flame king cans and refill kit. and brass caps with seals for the cans.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2018, 03:14 PM »
I just stated facts and forwarded information that others may find useful. My apologies that you seem super sensitive and that these facts upset you or could it just be,

P.S.;  I passed on useful information about the Flame king Refillable cylinders also  ;)
And as for Anhydrous Ammonia,  I spent 5 hours standing in the rain with the HAZMAT team, DCI, Fire Dept and, Sheriffs department because it was suspected that some intelligent entrepreneur put it in a couple 20# grill cylinders. Let me tell you first hand  NOBODY was thrilled to touch those cylinders!!!!!!

Dealing with drug dealers and manufacturers that put anhydrous in containers they were never meant to be in is a heck of a lot different then refilling containers a product was meant to be in.

I'm tired of some soap box person scaring people half to death on doing something that is perfectly ok to do using scare tactics about stuff.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I love filling up my green bombs! Even more fun knowing that I am such a burden on society. >:D

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2018, 04:52 PM »

Home Depot free delivery

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Home Depot free delivery
refill kit was 5 more at hd than amazon. you get one 1# can with kit.
cans are 7 less at hd than amazon
buying 5 cans and one refill kit saved 40 buying from both places. 4 cans allows for free ship at hd.
so it payed for roughly 3 cans buying from multiple sites and free ship from both.
having certified cans will be a big relief.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2018, 06:12 PM »

I to am investing in flame king

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2018, 09:00 PM »
I bought the flame King kit last year......works well

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Menards has the flame king kit for $39.97, $35.57 after 11% rebate going on now. 1# flame king refillable cylinder for $13.95, $12.42 after the 11% rebate.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:22 AM »
The flame King cylinders have issues fitting in and working with the Buddy heaters, right?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #42 on: Oct 16, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I used to have one of those  sunflower heaters on a stand that I would hook direct to a 20# tank with the black hose. Once in a while,  the heater would quit working or spit and sputter a bit. I had read somewhere...on this site I think...that said the "black" hoses breakdown over time and allow foreign material to pass through into the heater causing issues. Isn't there a "green" hose available that is designed to be used with the 20#ers? And aren't the 1#ers that are purchased more refined which leads to fewer issues with the heaters? Just a thought for you guys doing refills.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 16, 2018, 06:36 PM »
The flame King cylinders have issues fitting in and working with the Buddy heaters, right?

Hope not...snagged one today at Murdoch's Ranch Supply for $39.95.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #44 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Im on board with the safer refillable tanks now..in one can i hear a small piece of metal rolling around that must have made it past inspection .made in thailand hmmm.we will see if it was a good investment over time.i still have the other green bombs and refiller.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:52 PM »
I used to have one of those  sunflower heaters on a stand that I would hook direct to a 20# tank with the black hose. Once in a while,  the heater would quit working or spit and sputter a bit. I had read somewhere...on this site I think...that said the "black" hoses breakdown over time and allow foreign material to pass through into the heater causing issues. Isn't there a "green" hose available that is designed to be used with the 20#ers? And aren't the 1#ers that are purchased more refined which leads to fewer issues with the heaters? Just a thought for you guys doing refills.

If you are refilling the 1 pounders from a big tank you aren’t running the propane through a hose so there’s nothing that will break down. The crud that clogs things up comes from the rubber hoses which is why you would want to run a filter with them. I also run mine off of a big tank and have that green hose you mentioned and I don’t run a filter. In 15 years of running my portable buddy off of a tank with the green hose and off of refilled one pounders I’ve never had to clean the heater out because of gunk that loaded up inside.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I filled a milk crate of 1lb green bombs last night with the flame King kit, and used a 30# tank to fill off of. Worked great.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:58 PM »
.  Bump.   Is anyone using the flame king cylinders with the buddy heaters and having any issues?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:55 PM »
.  Bump.   Is anyone using the flame king cylinders with the buddy heaters and having any issues?

I think the rumor was that the flame King one lb tanks was a touch taller then a green bomb......so it would be just a bit tall to be on a buddy heater.

I can put it on my buddy heater and find out for ya.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I think the rumor was that the flame King one lb tanks was a touch taller then a green bomb......so it would be just a bit tall to be on a buddy heater.

I can put it on my buddy heater and find out for ya.
.  Thanks, would be nice to know for sure.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:34 PM »

Fit fine in my portable buddy

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to try it out, appreciate it!

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Hello.
I live off the road system of NW Alaska, refilling the 20 Pounder cylinders, I thought Id stop off at the local fuel vendor to fill 2ea 20#  bottles, went over to the fueling area and the, fueler ssid he couldnt fill my bottles, both looked in fine shape.
He pointed to a stamping on the ring and said both botyles were past the 12 year certification date.
That the bottles needed to be hydrostaticly tested and marked as tested.

:-\  so I have a 3 out of 5 cylinders that need testing.
That would mean air-freighting out old outdated cylinders plus the hazard shipping fee and the test fee.
In the end it was easier to just buy a new bottle than run through the hassle of recert a old one.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Hello.
I live off the road system of NW Alaska, refilling the 20 Pounder cylinders, I thought Id stop off at the local fuel vendor to fill 2ea 20#  bottles, went over to the fueling area and the, fueler ssid he couldnt fill my bottles, both looked in fine shape.
He pointed to a stamping on the ring and said both botyles were past the 12 year certification date.
That the bottles needed to be hydrostaticly tested and marked as tested.

:-\  so I have a 3 out of 5 cylinders that need testing.
That would mean air-freighting out old outdated cylinders plus the hazard shipping fee and the test fee.
In the end it was easier to just buy a new bottle than run through the hassle of recert a old one.

Or just take them to a bottle exchange place to get a new tank.  Then when they get them they will reprint them and test them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Oct 20, 2018, 10:52 AM »
i wanted to be safer with the brass caps with rubber gaskets. you never know when one will start seeping. they are 11$ for 5 on amazon.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:47 AM »
i have 7 new flame king bottles and studied up on them some more.  here are a few pointers for those who have not bought them.

you have to use a small allen key to open a regulator gauge on the bottle to avoid being overfilled. the key is only supplied in the kit and not with the bottle.  5/32 allen key wrench.

they have to be filled while cans are standing and remain standing at all times even while not it use.

only 2 cans allowed in an indoors area. seems way off being you go to a store and they have case lots indoors of the thin walled filled disposables.

12 years is the length of certification and the date of manufacture is stamped on rim.

we are not allowed to fill them unless licensed and trained in filling them.
more about their requirements here
http://www.flameking.com/media/wysiwyg/Training_Manual_for_1_lb_cylinder_fillers.pdf

picture of label hiding under a movable outer plastic sleeve.

waiting to speak with a customer service agent when they open in california. being i am not licensed to fill them i want to know why they can sell them to anyone.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2018, 11:36 AM »
I would guess these warnings are to keep them from being held responsible for accidents. Like the warning from a weapon manufacturer telling you to only clean your weapon when it's unloaded. That way they can't be held responsible when someone shoots a toe off while cleaning  a loaded gun. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:29 PM »
just spoke with ben in ca from flame king. he said in usa its not required to be licensed. it's for canada and other parts of the world. i explained it is confusing and he said they just talked about this and are working on how to fix it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:43 PM »

Thanks 3300

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 29, 2018, 01:20 PM »
After using the Flame King Refill systems all of last season and having refilled several tanks myself,  I can offer a little bit of advice.  #1 and VERY important is to wear heavy leather gloves when refilling.  This information is in the instructions, but don't dare forget or you can get severely burnt from escaping gas when you unscrew the refillable tank from the refill adapter.  #2 Unscrew the brass ring of the refill adapter while keeping upward pressure on the tank to the refill nozzle.  This will help keep gas from escaping from the refillable tank while unscrewing from the refill nozzle.  When the ring is completely unscrewed, quickly pull the tank downward to completely disconnect from the refill adapter.  You will still get a small puff of gas from what is left in the refill adapter.  If anyone doesn't understand #2, please pm me and we can arrange a telephone call to for me to explain/clarify.  I'd be happy to field any other questions to those of you just getting started with the Flame King kits or even those thinking of purchasing.  It's a simple system and works great once you overcome a few minor procedural technicalities.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.