Author Topic: Filet Knives  (Read 14187 times)

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Filet Knives
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Tommyboy, check with this shop in Port Washington, WI.  I have seen them in the store.

http://www.bait-box.com/  (Sorry, not sure how to post a link - just cut & paste)

hey thanks Ill try that site..

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Prior to this year I used the 2 sizes of wooden handled Rapalas and a rubber handled Gerber. The Gerber is my favorite all around and I like the short Rapala for perch especialy the ribs. This fall I got a Rapala 12 volt and used it to clean about a 100 stripers over thanksgiving and now I'm sold. I just used the electric on a bunch of perch and trout and after a bit I think I'll get the hang of working the smaller fish. For large big boned fish the electric has no equal, I had used a Columbia River with a partialy serrated blade before on stripers but even that was hard cutting through the heavy bones. Have an Old Timer to but the blade is to stiff so use it for butchering deer and elk.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:30 PM »

I would rate these right along side Wusthof and Cutco for quality and "a cut above" all others for beauty.  (pun fully intended)

http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=3973

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Desperado, I agree 100% on the Leech Lake knife. I got one as a retirement present this year and my older knives and my electric, sit idle now.
Pete Lewis

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Matt-

This is All my opinion-  But I think you get a better fillet with a straight blade knife-  I have seen a 20" walleye turn into a bluegill filllet with electric knives.  I know someone will say they go faster,  but I think you do get more meat,  and a cleaner cut with a hand held straight blade.

Its all an opinion-  I could see using them on Northerns,  but I have watched people use them on gill's and crap's  and I haven't liked the results.  Its all IMO though.

Curtis
That all depends on how much experience a person has filleting a fish . I've seen guys take a 20 inch walleye and a reg. fillet knife and it came out looking like a gill too. It's all about what you like and how good you are at doing it and how much you care about what the finished product is going to look like. personally I like the elec knifes for filleting and skinning and then i use a rap. prof. 6 inch or a 9 inch to take out the rib cage.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:32 AM »
I would rate these right along side Wusthof and Cutco for quality and "a cut above" all others for beauty.  (pun fully intended)

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=3973

that is a pretty knife :tipup:

but i still like the fisherman solution by cutco better :-\ it has a retractable blade from 6"-9" and a lifetime warranty, you dont even have to sharpen it, when it gets dull, just mail it back to cutco and they will sharpen it and make sure everything is A-OK on the knife and then mail it back to you at no expense. plus im a little biased, alcas/vector/cutco/k-bar knives are all made in my hometown of olean NY :tipup:

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/detail.jsp?categoryId=90&ensembleId=10330

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:38 AM »

but i still like the fisherman solution by cutco better

Got mine last season...super fillet knife!

PWR BAIT

« Reply #67 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:49 AM »

but i still like the fisherman solution by cutco better :-\ it has a retractable blade from 6"-9" and a lifetime warranty, you dont even have to sharpen it, when it gets dull, just mail it back to cutco and they will sharpen it and make sure everything is A-OK on the knife and then mail it back to you at no expense. plus im a little biased, alcas/vector/cutco/k-bar knives are all made in my hometown of olean NY :tipup:

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/detail.jsp?categoryId=90&ensembleId=10330
how much is the cutco retractable.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:37 AM »

i believe the fishermans solution is around $65-$70 ???
but since i am from olean and know everyone that works there, i got mine for $10, the CUTCO laser print on the blade was smeered so they couldnt put it on the market :tipup:

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:52 AM »

Check ebay...thats where I got mine....was new contition and paid $33 for it! :tipup:

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I have a Case that works great, for me.  The tip is more rounded than the Rapala and it's a bit more flexable.  I like the rounded tip because it makes it easier for me to work around the ribs.  The trick with any knife is to keep it sharp.  I like to use a steel on it every few fish.  To each his own I say.  What ever blows your skirt up.
Shut up and fish.

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:40 PM »
I am sort of a knife nut - buy 2 or 3 fillet knives a year (in addition to hunting knives).  My favorite is the American Angler - both 110 and 12 volt.  For a straight blade knife I prefer, in order, Cutco, Leech Lake, Kershaw, and Old Timer.  Either type does an excellent job filleting fish, but the electric is faster for me.  I have also heard good things about Cold Steel, that will be my next acquisition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.