Author Topic: Ice rod hard case  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice rod hard case
« on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:31 AM »
I'm looking for an ice rod hard case, and I don't want to spend $100. I'm imagining something like a briefcase that holds 6-8 rods, and what I'm seeing on Cabela's is close but not quite big enough. Anyone have any good ideas? There has to be a better solution!

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice rod hard case
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Frabill has a great hard case exactly what your looking for from the sounds of it for 65 bucks

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:35 AM »
http://frabill.com/rods-reels/7010.html
Says they are out of stock but you can find them around on ebay well worth the money hope this helps !

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:38 AM »
That's about what I'm looking for, thanks!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Those aren't very good, pretty flimsy if you ask me.

Check out this

https://www.flambeaucases.com/index.php/site/details/50845

You could borrow ideas from this

http://icefishinginnovations.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I'm looking for an ice rod hard case, and I don't want to spend $100. I'm imagining something like a briefcase that holds 6-8 rods, and what I'm seeing on Cabela's is close but not quite big enough. Anyone have any good ideas? There has to be a better solution!
       Sportsmans guide has them ....call there first they were out of stock and just restocked recently
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I modified a hard-sided gun case to hold my rods & tackle.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2013, 01:21 PM »
One from otter is great. Cost less then a custom rod does and you can fit more then you need in it.
Fishin red lines

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2013, 01:06 PM »

I just bought this case....its the smaller Expedition rod case.  It is very well built and is similar to my Plano case I have had for about 15 years and still intact.  I planned on going with the large model but cabelas only had the smaller one.  Inside dimensions: 11.25x35.25.  As you can see it holds 6 combos.  I may still pick up the large model to store rods that are not going on the ice.
]

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2013, 01:53 PM »
that's the sort of thing I had in mind...

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I got my hands on the frabil case on the weekend. Cheap and flimsy. Hinges are thin, I flexed them 20 times, hinge points started to turn white. In the cold, they will break. Case is very thin, flexes very easy. The otter case is in your price point, and built way better.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I just bought this case....its the smaller Expedition rod case.  It is very well built and is similar to my Plano case I have had for about 15 years and still intact.  I planned on going with the large model but cabelas only had the smaller one.  Inside dimensions: 11.25x35.25.  As you can see it holds 6 combos.  I may still pick up the large model to store rods that are not going on the ice.

What make is that, and where did you get it? That is what I have been looking for a long time.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »
just google this;
Plano Pillared Take Down Gun Case
probably end up where i did on the big A site

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:12 AM »
Plano Pillared Take Down Gun Case

Works for me.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I was looking at some Plano Gun cases last night. Aren't the reels to large to shut those cases? Have you ever bent the Bails on them? Just looks to tight for rod and reels.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I was looking at some Plano Gun cases last night. Aren't the reels to large to shut those cases? Have you ever bent the Bails on them? Just looks to tight for rod and reels.

i bought mine and its still new in the box. i got it because there are other discussions on here about them and plenty of others use it. it was mentioned that you can remove the egg shell foam (its not glued in any way) and get memory foam from joe ann fabrics and trace the old pad.

if you search on here , you will see where some one did custom foam inserts for the bottom where they cut deep areas out for rod/reels to stand up in the slots cut out.

either way, im game in trying one out this year. some how they break tips off the way i transport them now in a 5 gal bucket with the top of another 5 gal bucket extending the height of the protection even more.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2013, 03:59 PM »
I've never had a problem closing the cases, nor has there ever been a problem bending anything. I had one fall off the snowmobile and go skipping across the lake at 70mph once. It stayed closed and there was no damage to the rods either.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I've never had a problem closing the cases, nor has there ever been a problem bending anything. I had one fall off the snowmobile and go skipping across the lake at 70mph once. It stayed closed and there was no damage to the rods either.
Thanks, I might end up getting one.
<===Lefty===

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I just ordered this case....was planning on getting the Expedition large case to go along with my smaller one but ran across this new Plano case and decided on it since about the same size.  This case has the 'pluck n pull' foam for custom fitting.  Also its a full 5" inches inside height so my new tear drop reel may be able to fit in it. 

]

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2013, 03:07 PM »
That looks like the one I have. They go for around $120 but Amazon dropped the price to $60 one day so I snatched it up. Should have gotten 2. It has 5 latches, locks and seals up weather tight. Originally I had the rods in the pluck foam but it became too flimsy after removing too many of the pieces. Plus you can fit more combos in without using it. I have 4 combos in it now but can fit another one, maybe two.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I just ordered this case....was planning on getting the Expedition large case to go along with my smaller one but ran across this new Plano case and decided on it since about the same size.  This case has the 'pluck n pull' foam for custom fitting.  Also its a full 5" inches inside height so my new tear drop reel may be able to fit in it. 

(Image removed from quote.)
I was at Walmart today and looked at them there. Over here they are $69,then I use my wife's 10% discount and I just might get me one this year.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Hmmm....does this mean I have to get rid of my cardboard mailing tube??? ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Just got my plano case and have my walleye rods in it.  As you can see I got 6 combos in it.  I do like the pull out segments...was able to get the 13 teardrop and EC eciliras to fit nicely.
]

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Ryno.

Do you have to break your spinning reel handles down to close the case? 

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2013, 02:56 AM »
Ryno.

Do you have to break your spinning reel handles down to close the case?
You could leave the handles out if you plucked out the foam.  I started that way but didn't have room to get 6 rods in that way.  I have one 36" and two 32" rods that limited the room, I bet if all your rods where under 30" you could get 6 in it with handles out.  It looked like I could got 5 of mine in but wanted all 6 in it so opted to fold the handles.  I also took out the bottom layer of foam to have room.  The two cavities I just put some of the plucked foam in the bottom other wise the plastic is exposed.  Overall pretty nice case for the money.
]

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Just got one of those Plano break down shotgun cases on clearance for $20, good deal I thought

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Just got one of those Plano break down shotgun cases on clearance for $20, good deal I thought

i paid 32 free ship from amazon
where did yo find it at 20?
i'd pick up more for that price. they only hold 6 each

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:46 AM »
I got it at fleet farm, it was there last one guessing there not going to carry it any more

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2013, 09:29 PM »
What make is that, and where did you get it? That is what I have been looking for a long time.

I got the same case. It's more customized then you think. You can remove the bottom eggshell and there is a layer of plain/ flat stuff under that. The rod divider you can use as a divider and use the spare space for some tackle storage. I'm on satellite internet - if ya want some pics PM me ur number and I'll text them to ya. It's called Expedition Rod cases.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.