Author Topic: anyone know of a nice padded seat with a back for a 6 gal bucket??  (Read 12916 times)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Man I must be getting old cause for some reason this year my butt and back reallllly hurt after fishing. I am a bucket sitter and have the typical lid/seat on my 6 gallon buckets that have about 1/4 inch of thin foam padding and back.

Looking for either one with thicker padding on the seat and a back rest that will fit on a bucket OR something that I can fab up, maybe with a stadium bleacher seat pad/backrest on the bucket. Anyone have any ideas or have anything like this??

Any pics and/or links would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks
J-

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Something with a back would be great....  Show me your seats  lol...

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'1" and the 5 gal was killing my back and legs. I went to a 6 gal and it was better but not quite right ... it was about an 1"-1 1/2" taller.
I got a 7 gal with the regular padded seat lid and what a difference ... it's about 3"-4" taller then the 5 gal. The only thing I noticed different, besides feeling more comfortable, was my knees are now considerably lower and I feel better in general. Might be worth a shot.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
I picked up a couple stadium seats with the solid flip up back. Then cut a a piece of plywood into a circle just slightly smaller than the top of the bucket. Centered the plywood on the bottom of stadium seat, attached with 4 screws. It will swivel inside the bucket top but give you some back support. You could also attach the stadium seat to a bucket lid
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here's what I did with an old boat seat that belonged to my dad. On a 6 gallon bucket, it's just right for me. I use it in my Trekker, the seats in it were nice, but too low for my back. I'm hoping this will work for bank fishing open water too. Replaced the wire handle with a rope for carrying.

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
How about something like this from Sportman's Guide? You could cut a piece of plywood to set on top of a bucket and mount this with a swivel on it for comfort.
Good luck,
Matt

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=722615

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
How about something like this from Sportman's Guide? You could cut a piece of plywood to set on top of a bucket and mount this with a swivel on it for comfort.
Good luck,
Matt

(Image removed from quote.)

Yep was looking at something very similar at a local sporting goods shop and think that may be the way I end up going. thanks and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

J-

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
The later model Lund boat seats are pretty darn nice and reasonably light weight. 

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
Why dont you use the triangular looking hunting chair (folding) with back, its what I use, perfect sitting size for jigging, put your bucket next to you for tackle etc.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store_geteskimo/shopdetail.asp?params=69813*0
I have one of these and they're very comfortable. Short, though, at about 5 gallon bucket height.
They fold and stow nicely and the back support is awesome.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
3 legged chairs are not Clam 2000 friendly because of the ribbed floor.. Frabil Refuge either.. John :o
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is what you need. It's mostly made of cloth but does have some support on the side. Mine has two hard plastic (or rails on the sides)

\
http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/canoeseats.php

They are made for canoes or camping. That one is expensive but you can find much cheaper ones around.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck,
Matt

I have this same seat. Good deal but gonna upgrade for more support for my big rear end!
Fish on!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck,
Matt

I have this seat, too. Last year I mounted it on a igloo cooler with a swivel. This year I am making a bench seat to mount it to. the cooler kept tipping over while pulling it up a hill when leaving the local lake.
jbird68

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
toper...tried fleet+farm..they are on back order...I agree they look comfortable..

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
Jbird

Did u have to many out there or not catch enough a full cooler shouldn't tip lo

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
toper...tried fleet+farm..they are on back order...I agree they look comfortable..
Do a search.. there are several places who sell them...

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/category/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-shelters-furniture/polar-fire-folding-bucket-seat-with-back-rest

I saw this the other day and it looked mighty comfortable

That is a good looking seat. I just ordered from them the other day. Wish I would have seen that!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
This looks sick, except the price i think is high and might be a problem sitting with a long jacket. My parka usually covers art of the seat in the back.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Well all the bucket seats are nice but I also like the folding camping chairs with the bags with the straps you can just throw them over yur shoulder and move and they seem to be more stable.

Offline Doc Hollywood

• IceShanty Rookie
yep, cheap bass seat works wonder.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
they have them in stock now.. :tipup:

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
This is what you need. It's mostly made of cloth but does have some support on the side. Mine has two hard plastic (or rails on the sides)

(Image removed from quote.)\
http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/canoeseats.php

They are made for canoes or camping. That one is expensive but you can find much cheaper ones around.

I converted something real similar to that for a kayak seat. It's like fishing from a lazy boy. I actually just got another one ($20 at Dicks) and my Kenai flip over now has a back rest instead of the standard bench. Very comfortable!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Mills Fleet Farm

http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/71149  $25 Check it out :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mills Fleet Farm

http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/71149  $25 Check it out :icefish:

Temporarily Out of Stock.....

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saw the Polarfire seats in FF tonight.  Honestly not impressed at all.  For the money I'd spend the extra few dollars and go straight to the cheap boat seats.

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
I had a 6 gal bucket with a 2" foam padded swivel seat I used for years until I screwed up my back. I bought a folding pedestal boat seat (without the pedestal and hardware). I removed the foam padding and attached the boat seat to the wooden base of the swivel seat. Worked out great, comfortable and descent back support. Only con is the boat seat weighs about 8 lbs. (got the boat seat from Cabela's on sale and the old swivel seat from Sportsman's Warehouse).

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
Saw the Polarfire seats in FF tonight.  Honestly not impressed at all.  For the money I'd spend the extra few dollars and go straight to the cheap boat seats.

I saw 2 at our ff tonight.  One was a definite return, the other didn't look to bad and I was sort of curious so I went ahead and bought it.

Brought it home and am starting to have buyers remorse.

First off, it doesn't attach to a bucket, it sit on top with 5 cheap particle board peices to hold the seat in place in the inside of the bucket rim. Each peice was attached by 2 wood screws and mine were even screw on tight on 2 of the peices. I feel these may break if used.

The fabric of the seat does actually feel durable and well cushioned. The cushioning is made up of small foam bits that are shoved into the seat that is sealed by a zipper that goes around the entire seat and back rest. If the zipper opens more than 4 inches, it will dump the foam bits out. Shouldn't happen, but it could

The carrying bag is a complete joke. I've had mine for literally 2 hours and it already has a tear in the side and it's separating at a seam. I may take it back, but I see all of the bags having this issue since the fabric quality is trash.

The back rest does seem nice. It ratches into place as you lift it up. When it's at it's height it will fold back down flat.

So I do have an old swivel seat I'm no longer using that I think I may mod to this since it seams like it would be fairly easy. Just on the fence on if I want to return it or not. Will post if I do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.