Author Topic: Would you buy another Thorne Bros rod?  (Read 11815 times)

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would you buy another Thorne Bros rod?
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Hey gents:

I snapped a UL Frabill rod yesterday, and am in the market for a replacement. I checked the various websites, but it seems that the season-end time of year has reduced the pickings. I checked the Thorne Bros site, which has a great selection, and was wondering what the experience is here on IS with them. I did some reaearch, and I did see a few posts about how they're a good rod, but if you bought a Thorne Bros rod, could you tell me if you'd buy another at the price?

Of all my various fishing rods, I do notice a difference between my bargain rods and the ones I spent a fair bit of brass on, so I guess I'm taking stock of your experience to see if the Thorne Bros ice fishing rods are worth the price in your opinion(s).

If you would buy another one, could you also put in suggestions as to what reel you'd pair the rod with.

Thanks all,

Chris

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Would you buy another Thorne Bros rod?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:44 AM »
I just give up one fishing trip for one Thorne Bros. rod.   That's just one tank of gas, bait, and some food for the day.  It does seem a tad expensive in comparison to the standard retail products in price point.  I would totally get my next one customed made.  I would like to try that hidden hood handle or locking tennessee handle.  However it is ultimately up to the exact specific action you're after.  Sometimes that may be the standard retail rod is just what you want or that may be something that a total custom made rod with the price tag to along with it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I have a few TB rods to target different species of fish,from perch to lakers.They are light,sensitive,and strong.Caught my largest trout,7 lbs.,on the perch rod.I prefer taping my reel to a Tennessee handle.I use Pinnacle Deadbolt reels on my rods.They are not cheap.You definitely don't throw them in a bucket to haul around.I realize you can fish with hand lines or a broomstick,but
these rods are a pleasure to use.Thought about buying their rod building kits,but the difference in price to the finished product isn't that great.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I've owned a TB Perch Sweetheart for several years,  & previously a Panfish Sweetheart (RIP)

Highly recommended, tho' the $ increase is a bit much-- $80 ice rods? C'mon guys!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I may bite the bullet and look at ordering a couple. I was using a replacement I bought yesterday, a Rapala medium-light with a pre-spooled reel. I don't know what they spooled that reel with, but it might as well have been friggen clothesline..... >:(

The line was stiff and spilled off the reel in coils. I respooled today with a ice braid that has worked nicely for me in the past, because the line that was on the reel today made it feel like I was fishing with catcher's mitts on, zero sensitivity. It made me think of the fact that the light action TB rods, while expensive, are likely to actually transmit some of the feel of the fish on the line, as opposed to the dead action I had today. I hope that the thinner braid will give me a better feel.

I realize the TB rods are expensive, but I think I'm getting willing to pay a bit more to get the better experience. I mean, I'm dressing for the cold, driving a distance, hauling my sled for good distances in crap-cold weather, setting up a pop-up and other equipment in the high wind and bitter cold..............so I may as well make all of that worthwhile once I get a fish on the line. I just wanted opinions as to whether the prices were generally believed to be justified, I'm getting the feeling that while expensive, you get what you pay for. Coboy, brilliant comments by the way, I agree. You can fish with a broomstick and clothesline, but it ain't gonna be much fun, and I'm in this for the enjoyment.

Best,

Chris

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:37 PM »
That's basically how I came to buy my first TB rods.  It was an experience thing, and the desire to gather experience other than what I've been doing.  I really like the ability to manipulate my jigs and receive feedback from that.  Something I wasn't able to get from other rods.  The biggest sell point for me was using higher quality line guides.  Fuji Alconite guides on the outside sweetheart rods are superb.  I'd wish I'd gotten all my rods made with Fuji Alconite guides, but I will be sure to request that for sure.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline scunningham63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:29 PM »
I have 2 Power Noodles and love them for fishing plastics for crappie and perch. You can see and feel most of your hits. A tungsten jig will bend your tip a little bit and will straighten out when a crappie take your jig swimming up. The power noodle has enough backbone to handle the occasional walleye( very occasional for me ;D). They are pricey but I've spent money on more stupid things and I get a lot of enjoyment out of using it , so what the heck.

Scott

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:29 PM »
I pulled the trigger today and bought a panfish sweetheart and a power noodle, with a couple of reels from the TB website to match. Its a but pricey, but I have a feeling that all of my $34.00 rod/reel combos will be sitting in the garage for a long, long time after I use the new TB rods...........

Chris

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I pulled the trigger today and bought a panfish sweetheart and a power noodle, with a couple of reels from the TB website to match. Its a but pricey, but I have a feeling that all of my $34.00 rod/reel combos will be sitting in the garage for a long, long time after I use the new TB rods...........

Chris
Why don't you send those $34.00 combos to me and I will make sure they get some exercise instead of sitting in the garage being lonely. Sedentary, lonely rods are a very sad thing to see. lol   ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Heck who wouldn't kiss a pretty girl a second time! Yes you pay top dollar for a Thorne Bros. rod but the rods are spot on if you take the time to think about what you need plus they are willing to work with you on custom work. I am waiting for a 32" power noodle rod which is a custom rod. This will be used dead sticking for trout with mealworms. I am currently using two 48" Master (cheapy) rods that I like because they are so soft.When a trout picks up the mealworm the whole rod acts as a shock absorber however the lenght of the rods sometimes makes things difficult. I find its harder to center the line in the hole with a longer rod. I worked with Lonnie at Thorne to pick this rod, we will see what we will see.

Icepants

Offline Flaming Gorge Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:52 PM »
You get what you pay for.  Usually, the more money the better built blank.  I have a friend who doesn't bat an eye when it comes to a $2000 or $3000 dollar rifle or shotgun, but when I offered to build him a top of the line sage fly rod for my cost of materials he decided $250 was too much.  I have sold that same rod for $600 plus.  When you break off a 40 pound Lake trout on a $15 Wally World rod you will get no sympathy from me.  Well maybe a little!  Hard to wish that on anybody.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Heck who wouldn't kiss a pretty girl a second time! Yes you pay top dollar for a Thorne Bros. rod but the rods are spot on if you take the time to think about what you need plus they are willing to work with you on custom work. I am waiting for a 32" power noodle rod which is a custom rod. This will be used dead sticking for trout with mealworms. I am currently using two 48" Master (cheapy) rods that I like because they are so soft.When a trout picks up the mealworm the whole rod acts as a shock absorber however the lenght of the rods sometimes makes things difficult. I find its harder to center the line in the hole with a longer rod. I worked with Lonnie at Thorne to pick this rod, we will see what we will see.

Icepants

I own a 32" Power Noodle, it really is a nice jigging rod as well as a deadstick for crappies. The Power Noodle compliments my Quiver Stick. I`m finding that I fish with the Noodle more then the Quiver Stick now. There are several members on IS that will complain about TB rods and their cost, but to me their worth every dollar. I`ve used so many junk rods over the years and TB rods are the best that I`ve ever used. My son and I between us own 8 of their rods and have no complaints about any of them. What did you order for guides and handle? 

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:11 AM »
I went with the stock guides on that rod. I thought about the recoils but that didn't make sense. I plan to dead stick so I will not be holding the rod, it will be sitting in a rod holder.

Icepants

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:19 PM »
There are several members on IS that will complain about TB rods and their cost, but to me their worth every dollar.

I paid $44 for the Sweetheart  rod in 1995  ::) What's the mark-up today?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:25 PM »
i would buy a 100 more!!!! best combose out there for the money!!!!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:27 PM »
I have a couple TB muskie rods, I wouldnt hesitate to own any of their ice rods, even if they were $100 a rod. IMO theres nothing out there that comes close to a TB custom.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Glad to read the positive feedback, esp. since I bought two of them! Look forward to getting them before the ice melts.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:42 AM »
They are 2 weeks behind in any of the walleye rods... ordered on-line, got a personal call from one of the rod builders, Chris.... he apologized, and said they are 2 weeks behind on orders and have nothing built on hand to ship. They can't keep the walleye sweetheart or dead stick in stock. Very nice people to deal with.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:18 PM »
I ordered panfish rods, there was one choice I made and they said it wasn't in stock, so I put in a second choice, and they said they would be shipping last week sometime, so we'll see. I have every confidence in this company.

C

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I deal alot with TB during muskies season, seems I order something and the delivery guys knocking on my door by the time I hang up. Great place to deal with and if theres any problems they call you.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Absolutely!  I own two:  Perch sweetheart and walleye sweetheart.  I coupled these to Tica Cetus reels (GREAT drag system...even in extreme cold).

As others have stated:  You get what you pay for.  IMO, definitely worth every penny.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, get the rod without the hidden hood handle (same quality blank and guides). 
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.