Author Topic: ML st croix rod  (Read 2171 times)

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
ML st croix rod
« on: Oct 23, 2011, 12:22 AM »
Hey guys and gals just seeing these st croix rods they look really nice just a few questions for owners of them. What spinning reel will outfit this rod nicely and what is this particular rods application?? larger pan fish or more walleye/pike?? Thanks in advance

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ML st croix rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:38 AM »
The Tica cetus is what I have on mine and use them for panfishing mostly and I think its a great setup. I also use the green spring bobbers when running spoons and heavier jigs when walleye fishing. Back to your question though I've seen them with about all reels on them including a schooley reel and fly reels. I think it all boils down to what you're comfortable with and what you prefer and most importantly what you're willing to spend on a reel.   ;D

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2011, 06:59 AM »
I have the smallest Pflueger President on mine.  Its a really nice real.  If your talking about the St. Croix Legend rods just be aware that they are really short.  I think the whole rod, including the spring bobber, is less then 24".  If you haven't bought one yet I would seriously consider a custom job or one of the new Fenwick rods.  The medium light would probably handle anything from panfish to small pike.

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:38 AM »
i have a small fly reel on mine it seems to work fine up to 20 feet. of water but as the previous post said they are short . I did have a custom 28" made which is my go to rod now.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:34 AM »
Love mine, but just picked up a new Northland pro series. Same handle as the St. croix and nice action. Ill add a spring to it later...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2011, 09:23 AM »
I use that rod for gills, crappies and perch. I pair it with a tica cetus reel. nice rod, has help up well over a few seasons

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:00 AM »
One of the best bang for the buck small spinning reel on the market now IMO is the Shimano Sienna 500. I have two of them that I used last season and its a very good reel for the money. I will be picking up more this season.

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I will second the sienna 500's.  I have 5 of them, and you wont find anything better for 30 bucks.

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I will second the sienna 500's.  I have 5 of them, and you wont find anything better for 30 bucks.

What he said - and they are smooth below 0 deg F too without modification...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:19 AM »
My buddy bought a few Sienna reels last season. I was skeptical,  but they worked well. I will be adding some to my arsenal this season. the 500 and 1000 series are great for ice fishing

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:10 PM »
i have a pfleuger 6725 on my st.croix ml it handles the walleye and perch we fish for. have caught a fair share of northern pike also on it.

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I too have 3 sienna's. Caught everything on them even gators. Excellent reels for the ice. I recently treated myself to a 500 sedona....can't wait to try her out. Fluegers are awesome too.........
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.