Author Topic: brand new jig pole x2, line is all twisty and tangles up easily  (Read 1339 times)

Offline evanesce

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm assuming I should replace the line on my pole with higher quality line.  Do you know what lines out there don't have such a coil memory?  This included line is so bad it just comes off the reel in knots whenever I jig.  Was driving us nutty :)

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
If it is a combo that came already spooled with line, your right , the line isn't good quality. If your jiggin for panfish re spool it with a better #2,3,or4 lb. line. Tie a tiny swivel in about 12 in. above your jig. That will keep some of the twist out of your new line.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
celsius 2lb you will not be dissapointed my friend!!!! i like the blue color its very easy to see against the snow and ice!!!!! try it out its fairly inexpensive too!!! hope i helped out. but also if you dont mind spending money on line asso from yourbobbersdown.com is some very good stuff too, i prefer the 1-1.5lb versions!!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If it is a combo that came already spooled with line, your right , the line isn't good quality. If your jiggin for panfish re spool it with a better #2,3,or4 lb. line. Tie a tiny swivel in about 12 in. above your jig. That will keep some of the twist out of your new line.

x2.  I like P-line CX Premium, especially if I'm fishing 2 lb.  I fished without a swivel for years, and got into them a few years ago.  No doubt one of the best things I ever did!  Using them sure reduces the amount of frustration on the ice, and extend the life of my line because it doesn't get all twisted and funny.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Asso Ice Heavy floro.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gamma esp
Dave

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
I like good old Berkley vanish floro.   Make sure you spool the line on correctly,  I failed to do this and the line was a twisty, tangled mess.  A quick way to make sure is to take your spinning reel and face it towards the spool.  (so the front of the reel spool is facing the line spool) turn the handle, the rotation of the bail should match the rotation of the line coming off the line spool.  If it is opposite then turn the spool of line around and check again. 

If done correctly the line will not twist up when you are filling the reel spool.  If done incorrectly the line will twist up badly and you will be very frustrated trying to fish.  I stopped using trilene a few years back and went to stren...turns out they put the line on the filler spools differently.  I was doing it wrong and cursing the trilene.
I'm cold and I like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.