Author Topic: Anything to let you change jigs quickly?  (Read 10939 times)

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
Anything to let you change jigs quickly?
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Hi

For fishing one of the things that always takes time, especially with my son along, is tying different jigs to see what the fish are biting on. I see there are some different types of clips available that you can quickly switch jigs back and forth but which ones are the best to use? Or do you have any other tips other than buying a whole bunch of poles which is something I am not ready to do.

Thanks.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Anything to let you change jigs quickly?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:10 PM »
this is what a lot of people use they make them in all sizes.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/No-Knot-Fast-Snaps/701927.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104779980%3BMCcat104616180

X2!  I have used these for years,  they work great.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:02 AM »
Yep, I use those same no-knot fast snaps. They work great. I try to get the smallest size. Also, you will want to have some forceps to hold and lock onto them, that will make it easier to change the jigs with your other hand.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:29 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Personally, not a big fan of the fas-snaps and such. Really don't like anything on the end of my line except the jig especially for pannies...the less they see the better. And like some have said, hemos or small needle nose pliers are usually needed anyway. I've even pre-tied jigs on leaders for a quick change but that doesn't always work well either. I will use small snap swivels on occasion for larger jigs when fishing walleye or pike, but that's about it.

I've just resolved that cutting and re-tying jigs is the one PIA that I'll just have to put up with; just have to keep the fingers warm...and I've gotten fairly quick at it  ;)..............jmo
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:54 PM »
I like to run snap swivels, but I also tie direct.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I think i have a very expensive method of changing jigs fast.. more rods!

most ice jigs are meant to hang a certain way, tying direct although at times a pain, is the best method. If using spoons you can get away with fas snaps and other swivel style attachments

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:44 PM »
For vertical jigs im always fas snapin

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011, 05:58 PM »
for jigging spoons and such i like a fast snap. i kinda want to try those little corkscrew looking ones, but at $6 for a pack of 6 or so, they're not really worth it to me.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:42 PM »
I take 5 pre set up rods with me and I STILL End up tying and retying at some point...but the fast start is nice to catch that early bite...no clips for this guy

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I went out last night and had put on the duo lock snaps but didn't care for them at all. Today I changed over all of the rods to fast snaps and will go with them.I just came across something called the quickswirl connector and as soon as I find them I will give them a shot.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:28 PM »
I use swivel with a cross lock.
I gotta chubby

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:00 PM »
i always retie it just seems better but i could be wrong ;D
FISH ON

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:59 PM »
i have 7 different jigging rods all with different line, flexibility, and length. each one has a different size, color, and type of jig on it. if the fish dont bite on one thing i can instantly drop something different down. if im jigging for perch and a pike swims buy i can instantly switch to a sturdier pole with a heavier weight line and drop a pike jig down.

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Maybe do some reaserch on some different knots. I know I can the an improved cinch not in no time but there might be something else out there that is way easier to tie, something that your kids can do on their own. Heck even an overhand (a figure 8 knot would probably be stronger but if they know how to tie their shoes...) not to get them started with catching panfish would work. They love picking out their own jig, tying it on themselves and catching a fish. Once they want to get into it more then you can show them how to tie better knots for bigger fish and different presentations. I know the palomar knot is really easy but I don't know if you can fit a loop of mono through all the eyes on jigs

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Fast snaps  ;D :thumbsup:

Offline hardwater68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:13 PM »
fast snaps I get mine at Janns
remember the 7 p's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:49 PM »
i always retie it just seems better but i could be wrong ;D

You're not wrong. If you are, then there are 2 of us   ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:47 AM »
I use the same system as Icejunky.
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I want to catch the biggest Bluegill, Crappie, and Yellow Perch in the lake.  Adding extra hardware isn't my idea of how to do that.  I would rather take the extra 20 seconds to tie a fresh knot. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Maybe do some reaserch on some different knots. I know I can the an improved cinch not in no time but there might be something else out there that is way easier to tie, something that your kids can do on their own. Heck even an overhand (a figure 8 knot would probably be stronger but if they know how to tie their shoes...) not to get them started with catching panfish would work. They love picking out their own jig, tying it on themselves and catching a fish. Once they want to get into it more then you can show them how to tie better knots for bigger fish and different presentations. I know the palomar knot is really easy but I don't know if you can fit a loop of mono through all the eyes on jigs

When you are tying a palomar through a smaller eye don't try to feed the loop through the eye...feed the single line in one side then back through the other and you have your loop on one side without having to feed the double line through the eye.

Offline shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Or you could use these. I just starting using them and they work great.
http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/fa+snap/page/1/id/2321/name/StringeaseFastachMultiUseClip
I used the Fastach clips last year and really like them, fast to change and easy to use. I use the 0 or 1 size, but like the guys who tie their jig on every time we who use the clips should retie the clips also. That knot is taking a lot of abuse if left on and not retied once in awhile. Here's a question for you guys how often do you retie your clip or if direct tying your knot and leaving the lure on that pole how often do you retie?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:50 AM »
I like to retie. Quite often I feel little nicks on my leaders that I like to eliminate.  When your fishing with lite lines a little nick can lead to a break off. To me it's one less thing to go wrong. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I have 7 rods and 5 more palm rods.  So I am in the Ice Junky camp.  but I do use cross snaps and the no-knots too.
However, I regularly tie and re-tie the snaps and links to insure that nicks and weak knots don't cost me fish.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:12 PM »
I like to retie. Quite often I feel little nicks on my leaders that I like to eliminate.  When your fishing with lite lines a little nick can lead to a break off. To me it's one less thing to go wrong.

Ditto.  I retie, especially if I feel the nicks you are talking about.  I also use 2lb test... In most Wyoming perch waters you have a really good chance of catching a nice trout.  They'll break 2lb line when you get them up and they start flopping all over the place bulldozing over your gear in the shelter ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I retie every 20 fish or therefore.  Use 2# and with drag set right haven't broke line in a couple yrs.  Check drag every time out, better too loose than to tight.  Caught 28" pike couple of yrs ago.

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I use the Quick clips. Every one of the guys I have talked to -  that fish hook and line commercial here in Vermont, use those little quick change clips. I decided to take the advice of the guys who I see come in to the fish buyers barn with two 7 gallon buckets full of pound and a half Yellow Perch.  ;D
Warren

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:04 AM »
That pay good???? I use more rods... I never changed a thing after first day this year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.