Author Topic: Age  (Read 4046 times)

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
 Just setting here this morning wondering what the age spread of this years ice fisher person is. Who is the oldest and who's the youngest.
 I'm 75, started ice fishing at 10 or 11. 4 buckle boots 3 pair socks 2 pair jeans and froze my A$$ off. Never got discouraged and still doing it.
  Let's see who qualifies for oldest and youngest.

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Age
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:14 AM »
I bet you got some good stories! Got any favorites you can share?

Offline Motley14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I have had my nephews out age 7 if in the hub shanty and they will make it most the day. But that being said I am typically ready to strangle them within 45 mins out!! But they have stuck it out. Makes for a terrible day of fishing for me but they like it.

Offline fishygene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Ok  I will start this off. I will be 82 in july and I to remember the 4 buckles. But we use to wrap a hole LaPorte newspaper around the  shoe and put it in the overshoes thus poor mans mickeys.   gene 

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:41 AM »
64 here, was about 10 in the mid 60's when Grandpa started taking me. Gramps had a wooden shanty he'd leave at the lake. We'd leave for Manitou(Rochester) and fish goosepond, for supper we'd eat at the Sportsmans Bar I thought that was awesome being in a bar.

After supper we'd head back out. If the crappie wasn't biten after dark we'd leave and stop by Fletchers. At fletchers if no one was getting a bite this one guy would stomp in a big circle around us and someone would get a bite.  We'd get home around mid-night and clean fish.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:01 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the oldest, but am 67 and started at about 7 years old. Used Dad's old rods which were pretty much clubs with cable for line. But I and two brothers were hooked from the start! Later on after loosing a couple of Dad's spuds down the hole he made us use an axe! What a sight, back then a foot or even two of ice was common, and we would start out with a 2or3 foot hole and ended with maybe 5 inch. But we had a good time and it kept us out of trouble, well most of the time! lol Hex

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I am 77.  I bet not to many has done this.  Before the LCD locators came out I used to take my paper graph out on the ice with me.  Haven't got out much lately because of wifes health.  Fished once last year and got out Thursday for my first time this year. 
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline slabman1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:33 AM »
I’m 34 but I started my kid last year at age of 4. Those couple times out it didn’t go to well. This year he is 5 and loves it. Shanty or not he’s with me. Learning to read electronics and already.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I'm 30. Didnt get started til I was 15 or 16. My dad would take me fishing all the time but never on the ice. He hates the cold more than anyone I know. I've gotten him to go out there MAYBE 2 or 3 times? He thinks were all crazy. It was early high school years when I got tired of not being able to fish for so long (Dec to March), so a buddy said hey try ice fishing with me one time. I still remember the wind chill was -9 my first time out but I still fell in love with it instantly
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline walleye wil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:26 PM »
well i just turned 50 in feb. i started when iwas 5 with my grandpa and grandma, they showed me the ropes and all i know.
very happy to say i fished with both the last day they ever went. i have been teaching my 2 boys ever sine they were 3 to 5 years old.
want them to carry on legacy of ice fishing in my family, was totally different when i started. was awesome to watch them get a bite and walk back 45 feet to land a perch,no shanty, no fish finders or nothing just out in the weather catching perch and pike!! nothing like 40 years ago ice fishing!!!! caught my first pike in 45 foot of water on my 8th birthday, priceless times!!!!

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:36 PM »
 Back when I was in high school 2 buddies and I were out at night using dad's ice shanty. I went outside to relieve myself and when I went back in my pole was half down the hole. I grabbed it set the hook to realize it was a dead weight. They had tied the padlock to the line. They had a good laugh over that.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Getting ready to turn 50. Didn't start ice fishing til my mid 20s... father in law was going to throw away all his old gear and I snached it up...been at ever since... I don't use the old school rods or the little sled box anymore due to a serious gear addiction.  But I have kept all that old gear for my son who hates ice fishing. ..lol. ..maybe he can decorate his man cave with it some day...

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:35 PM »
48yrs old ice fishing since I'm 8.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:06 PM »
67 - started in the early 70's

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:30 PM »
I'm 61 and started ice fishing in Massachusetts as a military dependent at age 11 or so.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Fished this winter with 34 year old son and his two boys ages 4 and 2 using Garmin Panoptix and a nice shantie.   The boys loved it and we had a blast.  Talked with an incredible friend who is 92 and got out BY HIMSELF 3 times this winter.  He told me he has to take a break with every hole he drills.  He never uses electronics and always fishes 1' off the bottom and catches the heck out of the gills... He also never moves spots -- hits the ice, drills a hole and stays put...

Offline crill1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:40 PM »
41 here been fishing since I was 7... Fell in love with salt water fishing when I moved south for a few years and when I was in the Army... Now back here and got my son started when he was about 6 but he didn't really get into it till he turned 17 now he's serving in the Army and is missing it more since I send him pics of me fishing..... little less than 2 years to go and I will get my ice fishing buddy back...

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:52 PM »
59 going on 60.  Started ice fishing when I was 3 with my grandpa. My mom sat in the car and waited. She came out to get me thinking I was cold and I started crying and didn't want to leave. She told at that moment I was now grandpa's new fishing partner.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:07 PM »
54. My brother and I would down go to the St Marys river fishing through open holes in the ice because our dad wouldn't take us when he would go hardwater fishing. In our early teens a fella who owned a local archery shop would take us to the peat moss pits off Hwy 33 and other lakes ice fishing. Been going ever since.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:33 PM »
To all who are 64, you do know your next fishing lic will be the last one you have to pay for. $17 for the senior life-time.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Turned 80 on Dec.24. Born in 1938. Been on ice since was 16 yrs. old. Four buckle artic boots. If you ran in them they would unbuckle and hook the other foot and you'd bust your butt!
Started out chopping a hole with a hand axe on Lake George in Hobart. That was fun, got very wet. Borrowered a guy's spud bar to cut a hole and slipped through my hands and went to the bottom. He was not happy!
Lots of fish, lots of fun!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:00 AM »
 Teacher-Preacher,  I was 75 Dec. 23. I'd forgotten about the 4-buckle's tripping you up.  You had to love it back then.
  I was remembering that mom said the day I was born dad and a buddy went ice fishing. I guess he thought after I was born everything was under control so why miss a day of fishing. My wife didn't find any humor in that.   :thumbsup:

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I'm 33 , I've been fishing , ice fishing , and hunting since I was able to walk on my own with Grandpa ! I'm an addict I eat sleep and breath the outdoors thanks to my grandfather. Now I have a 15 year old son and a 10 year old daughter that love it as well . My son craves it as much as I do ! I am very grateful to be raised the way I have been . It has given me the opportunity to give this to my kids now and show them there is more the running the streets and video games . I can say that I don't know where I would be today with out it !

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:29 PM »
38 here been softwater fishing since i was 10 years old and got my dads poles stolen by some old dude told me to tell my dad some big black man stole his poles hahaa I will never forget that day fishing a creek south chicago where i was raised. Iced fished for a few seasons about 8 years ago then there was 2 years in a row didnt even make ice. Said forget this and sold my stuff. Got back into it last year and never selling my stuff again cause I love it now more than ever! Took my son once this year he didnt lol
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Turned 80 on Dec.24. Born in 1938. Been on ice since was 16 yrs. old. Four buckle artic boots. If you ran in them they would unbuckle and hook the other foot and you'd bust your butt!
Started out chopping a hole with a hand axe on Lake George in Hobart. That was fun, got very wet. Borrowered a guy's spud bar to cut a hole and slipped through my hands and went to the bottom. He was not happy!
Lots of fish, lots of fun!
Teach
Teach I was the guy that talked to you in the parking lot of willow slough that tuesday night a few weeks back. I would of never of pegged you for 80. I could only hope and pray that i can still move around like you do when im 80 and still be on ice drilling holes, keep it going! Also I live in Hobart myself, what a small world 2 guys an hr away parked next to each other from same town. So my next question is do you catch fish in lake george anymore recently?
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:31 PM »
I'm 75 1/2 and can remember the four buckle overshoes, several pair of socks inside of bread sacks to keep my feet warm. I think I ice fished for the first time when about nine. Dad chopped holes with an axe and we got in the car to warm up. He used to make his gear out of broken broomsticks and shovel handles. No one jigged and we hung minnows under bobbers and hoped something would bite. I honestly can't remember if we ever caught anything back in those days. Some people used a Daredevil spoon with a couple minnows on each hook of the treble.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Wow!! I feel much better about myself at 56...some of you guys are really..really old!! You should probably take up new hobbies...like naps or early bird dinner at Denny's!!!
Just kidding..of course. I hope to be as active of some of you over 70...I'm impressed...cause it's so easy just to quit hobbies as you get older and health starts to go.

Ice fished sporadically in the 70's/80's got serious ice fishing bug in 1990/1991..been doing it ever since.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Wow!! I feel much better about myself at 56...some of you guys are really..really old!! You should probably take up new hobbies...like naps or early bird dinner at Denny's!!!
Just kidding..of course. I hope to be as active of some of you over 70...I'm impressed...cause it's so easy just to quit hobbies as you get older and health starts to go.

Ice fished sporadically in the 70's/80's got serious ice fishing bug in 1990/1991..been doing it ever since.
The big task is living to be this old. Many don't. Being able to be active at this age is a good thing, but watching your fishing buddies die off one by one is the bad part. I lost another Thursday. He was 79. Keep doing things you like as long as you can. Lol, I was sitting in my side by side with my Grandson  yesterday enjoying a beer. The heater was working great and I was wishing we didn't have two feet of heavy snow on top if the ice.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Im begin to think it is way more nicer putting a t shirt , shorts and sandals on and jumping in the boat.. ;D
Put a few miles walking on ice this year and im worn out...  ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.