Author Topic: Is 3lb test too light?  (Read 13617 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Is 3lb test too light?
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 12:52 PM »
I use small mealworms on a flourescent jig and sometimes hook pickeral and usually snap my 3 lb test. Will gills see 6lb test and reject my baits. Any advice or comments thanks ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Re:Is 3lb test too light?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 02:32 PM »
most of time yes they will turn away at 6# line.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2004, 04:17 PM »
In my opinion, 3# is too heavy.  Some days 1# is too heavy.  You just have to live with the fact that you're going to get bit off once in a while.  Besides, a pike's teeth will cut 6# just as quick as 2 or 3# anyway.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:52 PM »
I use 1lb. or 2lb test with a mirco-lite rod works well!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:30 PM »
Ok guys thanks for the input guess I will have to live with it :) and accept the inevitable breakoffs by other fish

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Is 3lb test too light?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:11 PM »
I have yet to master 1 lb. line. I have excellent results with 2 lb. (for strength). Friends of mine though will at times catch fish on 1 lb. when I'm catching none with my 2 lb. Tells me I need to keep working at it. My main problem (I think) is with the knots. That is where I always break off with 1 lb. line. I keep a good supply of jigs so I don't mind breaking off a pike or bass to keep fishing. Any suggestions will gladly be appreciated.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:57 PM »
depends on how clear the water is

if it is fairly murky, 6 is okay, and sometimes pike won't bite that off
stick with 2 most of the time
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:10 PM »
I learned to keep the drag super loose with the 3# test line seems to help caught a 2lb 5oz pickerel took about ten minutes but eventually he tired. But anyhow 1# test wow that must be tough. I'm scared with my 3#. :'(

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2004, 08:08 AM »
In my opinion, 3# is too heavy.  Some days 1# is too heavy.  You just have to live with the fact that you're going to get bit off once in a while.  Besides, a pike's teeth will cut 6# just as quick as 2 or 3# anyway.

kero

I agree with kerosenecounty17, 3# is way too heavy.
I use 1# most of the time and 1.5# the rest of the time. A micro noodle rod  and a reel with a silky smooth drag turned back real light, does the trick. You would be suprised on what you can catch by accident with this set up.3# Pickeral and few years ago and a 2&3/4# Bass this year.
crappieloo :'(

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2004, 04:59 PM »
I use 2# most of the time on my micro light rod, and have caught many small pike on it. Just remember the drag is there for a reason, and when you set the hook just flex your wrist up not your elbow or shoulder (unless you are in very deep water and need to adjust for line stretch)
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:30 AM »
 I never use anything any heavier than 1# with a loose drag. Seems to make a difference when the fish are a little skittish, which is often under ice.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:47 AM »
just a question here ..I use Fireline which (appears to me) is less thick then mono even if i use 6 pound fireline is less thick to me then 2 pond mono? SO if i use this fireline you think its ok? ANytone else use Fireline? Thansk guys i can;t get squat in Sunniesin the iwnter so any advice is great!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:14 AM »
OK, the lb. rating doesnt matter. you can use 25# line and have good success.
As long as the line diameter is .005 or less (.004 is better) for a more natural jig presentation and no line detection. I'm using .004 and .005 dia. lines in mono with 1# and 1.5# break strength.
Hope this helps
crappieloo :)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Crappieloo & Germ are all over it now. Line diameter is the determining factor. Use the most strength with the right diameter and you are halfway there.
Also I must say line color is also a factor. Normally I go with clear lines, but I tried the blue ice line and it worked fine in stained water on dark days. The fish hated it in clear water on most days. It was highly visible on the Aqua-Vu also. Looked like a long skinny post attached to a jig (2lb test). The clear was invisible on the Aqua-Vu, same line brand (2lb test). That clear fine line will test your eyes when your tying on your jigs. Just a minor problem to me. I count on trying several patterns every time I go out.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Another note, i use blue and natural color line and it makes no difference cause i fish mostly at night or stained waters. But,line dia. makes a difference in catch rate day or night or water clairity. Its tough for me sometimes tieing 1# with older eyes around midnight, LOL.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Although I have not found a 1-2 pound test that did not break by hand too easily, in theory, if the drag on your reel is set correncly You soulld reduce broken lines.

For the breakage reason, I have been using 4 lb test in the clearest and thinnest combination that I can use.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:00 PM »
Managed to get a 20" bass to the hole last year on 1.2lb test. Darn things mouth was open and it was bigger than the hole, did save the bait, a size 14 dry fly hook and a Berkley maggot. Generally fish with a 2lb leader below a swivel and 4lb main line, have no second thoughts about going to 1lb or less if I have to.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Sometimes your going to get bit off.I use 2lb and on certain days they shy away from that.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2004, 10:45 PM »
I have had days on Lake George where i couldnt get a bite on 4 lb test so i switched to 2 lb test and snapped off i dont know how many stupid pickeral that were down in the weeds with the perch, that day i couldnt win >:( , but the 2 lb did increase my fish  ;D
Jason

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I think I am going to 1 # on at least one rod and 2 on others!!!!!   and 2# for perch under tipups, and 10 or 15 LB for pike

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:22 PM »
Three pound test is fine for most all panfish applications. I use two pound original stren with smaller jigs in the shallower areas, and will bump up to 4 pound stren for deeper perch or crappies. Three is fine, though maybe in some really pressured lakes it might scare fish, even 2 sometimes. Fluorocarbon could be the answer here, though I don't have much experience with it to say one way or the other.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Icefish4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:39 PM »
I  switched to 2 lb. test (for panfish) a few seasons ago and noticed that I've caught more fish, particulary during the tougher mid-ice period.

Offline RM fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Anything smaller than 4lb and I have to be a lot more professional on my knot tying. Light lines, loose drags, and good knots. It don't get anybetter!

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Hey JW,

Have you experimented with one rod having 2# and one rod having 6#?  I think a side by side comparison would be a great test.  I think posting the results would be even better. ;)
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:24 PM »
I like and don't like the leader theory,  will have to try that next year.  I have 2 rods with 2#  :omicro ice and 2 rods with 4# test,  the 4# test is for the larger species like walleye. ;)
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

bigdave1018

« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2004, 04:38 AM »
i use 4 lb golden stren or the new mr crappie gold line then tie a leader off this using quality leader material usually 2 lb or less. im a line watcher 75 percent of the time and the golden line glows on the ice and helps me see the slightest twitch or bite. 2 of my commercial fishing friends just use the 4 lb golden stren straight with no leader and do real well. with this combo , i no longer need or use bobbers because with a quality rod thats super sensitive even a small gill feels like a whopper through the handle lol. tight lines experiment and good fishing, big dave out.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:04 AM »
NOT HERE jigwiggler. We use light line out of need not because we want to. At 2# or up you can forget about it. Its all really lake specific. Some spots all you get bites on is 1# OR 1&1/2# line. I think IMO most of you have ''easy'' lakes to fish so line diameter really doesnt matter that much. But for guys who know there is fish present and dont get bites they should try going lighter.I learned this many years ago when almost everyone was using 2,3,4 and 6lb. line. Two Dec. officers came over to check us just for number of fish caught and type. I had 1 gill and my bud 1 perch. They had a clipboard with all the fish catch numbers from the lake. I asked to see it and they showed me. They were mostly ''no fish'' or ''one gill'', EXCEPT 2 GUYS. I asked them where are they and how were they catching fish.
They pointed them out and said they were finessing them. I checked out the productive guys and they were usind micro noodles with very light line and no fishfinders.
If its ''no bite'' or tough you must downsize.

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2004, 11:39 AM »
There's more too it than just line diameter. Often the rate of fall of the jig is just as important. Light line tends to allow jigs(of the same weight) to drop quicker, possibly "triggering" the fish to strike. Heavier line slows down the fall, this may be useful when the fish are very slow to bite. I've found every lake is slightly different, whether its gin clear or slightly off color. I like to use 6 lb low vis line, it's worked well for me, and seems to reach a good compromise between knot strength, abrasion resistance, and ease of use to hand line( I strickly hand line, on light rods and spring bobbers). Lets be honest, they're fish, if they're not spooked by everyones "video" cameras watching them at point blank range, its more than likely presentation or bait type that is putting them off, not the diameter of your line.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2004, 12:14 PM »
I can't believe nobody has really hit on how much the line diameter affects the action of the jig.  Tie two identical jigs, one onto 6lb, one onto 2lb, and tell me which one has better action.  I believe the majority of the time, it is the quality of action of the jig that triggers bites or turns fish away.  Most of the time I can fish 2lb hi-vis golden stren with no leader and not shy away any fish.  And most of the lakes here in northern Wi are about as murky as Absolut Vodka! 

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Absolutly richstick ;D I never gave the reason why(my mistake) but is the subtle action with 1#test that nails em for me. I wish i could find unpressured lakes. its tough here. I do love the solitude in which i get around 1:00 am. tho.
When i started put years ago some spots were so easy that we caught fish with goat rope and a bare hook. Not anymore :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.