Author Topic: Adding a dropper to jigs  (Read 3738 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Adding a dropper to jigs
« on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Has anyone added droppers to other jigs like forage minnows or swedish pimples to use for gills? If so, what kind of line and what length do you use? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Adding a dropper to jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I have been using a lot of droppers lately mainly because Fredric at ProScandinavia showed me the light and got me thinking about them.

I can take some pics of a few setups I use. Since gills can be more finicky than perch I have been using fairly long droppers at around 10" with a tiny jig on the end. Even with this somewhat finesse approach from the longer dropper I still get a lot of gills that won't take the jig. (scared of the spoon) Using your sonar helps to judge the mood of the fish. I have been using a 12lb flurocarbon line for droppers however it is a little on the heavy side, 8 lb would be better. Tieing a dropper to a Genz worm also works well.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I have been using droppers from Hali for a few years, with good results. Also using the ones from ProScandanavia, which are short, but have clips at both ends, which allows you to pick the hook size, and style. Custom Jigs and Spins has a dropper spoon, which can be easily adjusted directly on your main line. I tend to use this set up more for perch. Experiment, be flexible, have fun!

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2010, 07:59 PM »
One thing i like to do which is a little different is take a genz bug or a gill pill and tie it on with a palomar knot, leaving 6-12 inches of tag line. On that tag line I'll tie a frostee jigging spoon or a pimple. This worked pretty good last year. The reason I thought it worked so well is because the spoon draws them in and because a gill feeds up it sees the small jig above the spoon and comes in for a look. A couple of spikes or a plastic has been good to me on the jig.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:50 PM »
One thing i like to do which is a little different is take a genz bug or a gill pill and tie it on with a palomar knot, leaving 6-12 inches of tag line. On that tag line I'll tie a frostee jigging spoon or a pimple. This worked pretty good last year. The reason I thought it worked so well is because the spoon draws them in and because a gill feeds up it sees the small jig above the spoon and comes in for a look. A couple of spikes or a plastic has been good to me on the jig.

Interesting. Did you ever bait the spoon/pimple and catch anything on it or was it just for show?

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I have baited it and some days they like spoon allot but most of the time I use it as an attractor. I haven't gotten a double on it yet tho but maybe this year!

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I have baited it and some days they like spoon allot but most of the time I use it as an attractor. I haven't gotten a double on it yet tho but maybe this year!

Do you add a dropper to the spoon? A little redundant I suppose but extending the bait from the sppon might entice fish that are wary of it. Just a thought.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I never thought of putting another dropper on the spoon, maybe when Im playing mad scientist this winter I'll give that a shot.  ;)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I have two or three of these set up each season. I usually remove the treble from either a small spoon (buckshot spoon) or a small jiggin rap. I use a couple inches of line and attach either a marmish, marmooska, or wolfram jig. the perk to the wolfram is the extra weight. I then tip the jig with a maggot or waxie

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2010, 02:09 PM »
I don't do a true dropper, but all I do is remove the splitring and replace them with Fireline.  Sometimes I use 4# sometimes I use 6#.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152687.0  some pictures in this thread.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Great pics, I like the alterations you made to the jigging raps. I use fairy jigs alot but never thought about expanding the wings to a variety of jigs

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2010, 01:33 PM »
It makes the buckshots work even better in midwater colum.  I really wanted to expand the use of them from just bottom bouncing them.  Now I can get them metal on metal clanging and rattles rattling to really call fishes in.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.