Author Topic: Red colored line  (Read 7186 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Red colored line
« on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Anyone noticed a change in catch amounts when using a red colored line? I know they claim it is "virtually invisible underwater". I was just wondering if anyone noticed more catches over clear or blue colored lines.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Red colored line
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Ive never used it while ice fishing but I have soft water and I will telll you I'm not a fan. I bought Cajun Red and used it on one of my walleye jigging rods. Honestly couldn't tell you if it disappears any better than other lines but the thing I didn't like is that it FRAYED really easily and I had a lot of break offs! Havent bought another spool since.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Ive used Hts red ice line for several years never noticed a change in catches.  I do love how it showsup on ice and in a hole . Now red line does not necisarily disapers it is   simply put the first color of the spectrum to disperse in the water column at about 6'.
Getem caught

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Redlines / redhooks- Redline becomes invisible- why do we all use redhooks? They claim they are an attractant? They should be invisible underwater like the line no? Buncha horsecrap designed to catch fishermen , not fish. I used Cajun Red Ice , and althou it was easy to see on the ice, the stuff was garbage. Not very abrasive-resistant.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:02 AM »
do not know about red line but do use red hooks seems to make a difference have 1 pole with red line have not used it to much yet so i cannot tell yet iuse red hooks on everything ican year around

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I've tried that Cajun red line before, didn't notice any more hook ups.  It's just as visible as the next line, no difference.  I also haven't noticed a difference in using red hooks, but I have in gold vs silver.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2010, 01:08 PM »
I think what I might do is run a 3 or 4 foot leader off of the red line. See how that works. Probably use a 2 to 4 lb mono. 4 lb is the smallest I've seen so far. Guess the only bait shop, dunhams, and walmart, around here don't care about us ice guys wanting low pound line.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:52 PM »
Flurocarbon looks like the most invisible line to me. I don't know for sure how good a fish can see it though.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I spooled up with red cajun line a few seasons ago.. never again,

that stuff had some much memory and coil it was ridiculous. The line was stiff to the touch and I ripped it off all my spools by seasons end

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I tried the red line because I was having such a hard time finding gold line in 2# around here and thought it that since it was red I might be able to use it for a temporary substitute for tight-lining. I could see it okay, but honestly, I don't think I caught maybe 3 fish on it in 2 trips out. Another rod had my gold on it and I  had no trouble putting fish in the bucket.
I found my gold line at a small sporting goods store and respooled as soon as I got home.
Not sure what the reason was, but it just wasn't working for me, and I don't spend a lot of time on things that don't work for me.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:07 AM »
The line color is more for the fisherman than the fish.  Sometimes the colored line works better, most of the time, it doesn't matter.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I have used ht's red line. Works well. No fraying issues or memory. I have it on 1 rod. I use blue line more than any other color. I like how it shows up on the ice.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:50 PM »
I used HT red line last year for perch and did very well, but I also started using a flasher last year. I've spooled up this year with 2# red for perch and 6# red for walleye.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Gonna have to agree with ice junky.. cajun red is junk, neveragain here. Dont know bout ht or any other brands

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I have been using cajun red in ten pound test on my trolling rods for rivers and eight pound for lakes and have had no problems. Any diff in catch rate not. Ice fishing deep I would have to say with red hooks I have better luck.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I tried cajun line this year for the first time under the ice.  Far too stiff and too many loops.  Rerigged everything.  Tossed the cajun..
Shut up and fish.

Offline sawman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:59 PM »
had the camera out today and had berkley trilene micro ice in red 2 #test.  and   i  can not see the line 30 inc from camera in 14ft..bin using for two years now

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:21 PM »
As said before it can be used in a pinch in substitute of yellow line for tight-lineing but its a bad substitute at that. but as far as catching more fish its just a companys way of making more money they make it sound like it really maters to get you to buy it IMHO
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:34 PM »
The color red filters out fairly shallow depending on a few variables, however it DOES NOT become invisible, it turns black.
Red hooks attract-Red line disappears, something seems fishy, but it has made millions.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:39 AM »
the absence of light = black.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline specialK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I've been using the #3 cajun ice the last three years.  Nice co-polymer line!  Anyone that wants to get rid of theirs can send it to me....I must be the only one that hasn't had any problems with it :o

Tight lines..........

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:53 PM »
I put the red 2# trilene ice line on one of my panfish rods. It shows up nicely against the ice and snow, but i use a flourocarbon leader so not sure about the under water visibility.

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I have not tried the red line and cannot confirm or deny that it is invisable underwater.  But if you are interested in the red line for sight of it above the ice I will testify that I have tried and fell in love with Viscous High Vision line for gills and crappie, low memory and seems to be pretty tough, good stuff.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I switched over to the red line on my jigging rod about 2 years ago and it works very well. I even put it on my tip ups as the leader and it works well there also. But what it comes down to is if the fish want the bait.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:21 PM »
the red ice line works alright, but it doesn't truly "disappear" in the water. as they say, red is the first color to be filtered out in the water, but the pigment remains. instead of having a line that is invisible, you have a line that is gray. my favorite rod is spooled with HT Black Ice line, which is solid black, and i still catch most of my fish on it, so i don't think it matters much, though the cajun stuff is stiff and nasty, and i don't recommend it at all. i do recommend the HT Black Ice because it has so little memory that i have to be careful not to tie knots too small or it will come undone.  ;D a terrific line for panfish if you ask me, and it stands out like a sore thumb against ice.

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:21 PM »
I have been using the Red Cajun line (2 lb) for the last couple of years.  I originally got it because the Fleet Farm I was at was out of every other 2 lb test (except the most expensive).  I really like the visibility and seem to catch more fish than I do on my "blue" line.  Also, no problems with line coil, fraying, etc. 

pannyjigger

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Im not a fan of the cajun red because it frays and kinks a lot easier than trilene. This sounds a little ridiculous but if you are worried about sight you could tie a leader.  ;D
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:11 PM »
I started using red because it is easier for me to see in the hard side shack. The clear and blue are almost invisible against the white walls. As far as catching more fish? Don't know. About the same as always.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Just curious, but why do you need to see the line?  ???  ;D
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:56 AM »
For tying on new jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.