Author Topic: Looking for a gill rod  (Read 10094 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking for a gill rod
« on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:55 PM »
What types of rods do you recommend for gills? I have a still fish rod (i think its called) that I used last year. It worked ok because I pulled the line in by hand so I didn't have to guess the depth each time after I found where they were. I also have some of the older style rods that just have a plastic spool on the rod that I use the same way.

I was considering purchasing a Marmish rod specifically for gill, but was interested in what everyone else recommends. Thanks.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Looking for a gill rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:08 PM »
It's been a long time since I've used the rod with the two wooden pegs, I don't even know where it went.

I'm trying to use a fly reel on a rod, but I also like using baitcasting reels more and more.  The fly reel, I'm sure the more I use it, the better I will get at it.  The baitcasting reels, no instructions needed, they just felt right from the first one I attempted.  I also have many typical spinning reel rigged.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:34 PM »
My main bluegill and finiky fish rod is a St. Croix Legend UL with the lightest spring and 1 lb line. Some prefer the extra backbone of the light action Legend though. I prefer short rods however any sensitive rod with a spring bobber on standby if needed will work well for gills.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I've grown to like the HT Ice Blue rods. They're inexpensive and super sensative. I have been usung the 30" and 36" models when I can and they perform great with light biters and and small jigs. I even got a 30" steelhead on one with 2lb line what a blast. Thank God for a good drag, it took the better part of 30 minutes to land it.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2010, 05:42 PM »
It seems to me that the longer a rod the more sensitive. My guess is that wouldn't really matter though with a spring bobber. Whats your guys experience?

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2010, 11:05 AM »
A lot of it depends on the tip.  I have a few rods that have super sensitive tips, UL fast action.  They vary from 20" to 32".  I prefer to use the 20", especially for gills.  It gets me closer to the hole, I just seem to have better control of the situation.  It's much funner bringing up the fish with that smaller rod too.  With these rods you don't need a spring bobber.  I was actually hooking up with more light bites than my friend with a spring bobber.  They are made by Jacks Tackle, "Ultra Lite Bite Series".  I have only been able to find them at the Ice Show and a store locally.  I think I got mine 2 for 20 bucks or something, really affordable and a great rod.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:22 PM »
It seems to me that the longer a rod the more sensitive. My guess is that wouldn't really matter though with a spring bobber. Whats your guys experience?

For me it is the opposite with rod length. The closer I am to the tip of the rod the better I can see and feel the bite.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2010, 01:25 PM »
I'm kind of partial to gill rods that you hand line in, unless you are fishing 20 or more fow. I think you can get the fish in and your jig back to the proper depth faster without reeling then having to let out line. My rod I think is a still fish rod is an HT Polar Lites 24" Medium. The line runs through the barrel of the rod. Probably my favorite of the two types. Anyone use similar rods to this?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I never tried those Polar Lite rods. Do you have any problems with the line freezing inside the tube?

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I never tried those Polar Lite rods. Do you have any problems with the line freezing inside the tube?

Last year was the first year using it but I didn't have problems. I was hand lining it up so water shouldn't hardly ever get in the tube unless you are reeling in from fishing deep to fish shallower. Otherwise you just hand line in the fish then toss the jig back down the hole and feed the line back down if needed.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2010, 06:02 PM »
the past couple of years my go to gill rod has been a cheap HT Ice BlueUL. That said I got a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick towards the end of last season and while I only got to fish with it twice before ice out it is an awesome gill/pan fish rod. I have the 20in one. Like it so much I ordered a 24in one too.

J-

Offline waterwizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2010, 06:23 PM »
If you are partial to hand over hand then I would go with the Marmish.  They are great rods, I have two of them and they are used regularly.  They are very sensitive and its amazing how you can control your jig.
Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.... - G. Randolf.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I am also partial to the St Croix Legend UL, which I believe is just under 24''. Usually I find 2# floro to be light enough for my needs. I tend to keep a few (possible understatement) other rods rigged up with different jigs to effect a rapid switch when called for. Sometimes a Schooley rig sitting on the ice will out fish my best jigging techniques. I would recommend that as a back up, especially since they are so inexpensive.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2010, 11:24 PM »
My main bluegill and finiky fish rod is a St. Croix Legend UL with the lightest spring and 1 lb line. Some prefer the extra backbone of the light action Legend though. I prefer short rods however any sensitive rod with a spring bobber on standby if needed will work well for gills.

i also own a st croix legend UL that i got last year, its a really nice rod and a nice spring bobber system. but to be honest, their UL is even too finicky for me to control when trying to hold my jig steady underwater, especially if there is a slight wind.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:13 AM »
here are the three rods i take on a gill trip

1) Marmish (spring bobber tip)
2) St. Croix Legend (spring bobber tip)
3) Jason Mitchell Meat stick

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I use a Jason Mitchell with the spring bobber built in.  I wouldn't pan fish without it.  I like the fact that the spring is attached.  Makes life easier and is deadly.  I'd recommend that one to anyone. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I use a Jason Mitchell with the spring bobber built in.  I wouldn't pan fish without it.  I like the fact that the spring is attached.  Makes life easier and is deadly.  I'd recommend that one to anyone. 
Waiting to get mine.  Ordered it on 10-19 and still waiting.  Did u get it with his reel on it?  I ordered the combo and was wondering how the reel was.  Fin

Offline iceman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:20 PM »
i personally dont know how the  reels are but i love the rods. those and st croix legends all i use. but i got a few thorne bros for presents that i cant wait to test out this winter

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2010, 08:17 PM »
St Croix Legend Ultra Light, and Light. I bought my first one last year and LOVE IT! As I replace my rods/reels I'm going to buy quality from now on. No more cheap-o's.
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Did u get it with his reel on it?  I ordered the combo and was wondering how the reel was

the reels are no good, slightly better then the reels you get on a a genz stix combo but not much. I learned a few years back buy the rod not the combo

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:47 PM »
the reels are no good, slightly better then the reels you get on a a genz stix combo but not much. I learned a few years back buy the rod not the combo
Thanks for the words to the wise Ice.  To late though I ordered the combo.  They make it sound good on the web site.  I should have known better.  You live and learn.  Have to see how it is when it finally gets here.  I did calll them to ask where my order was in processesing.  I did actually get to talk to Jason Mitchell himself, had a cool short chat with him about ice fishing.  He said they were having computer problems and give them a couple days and if it doesnt come call him back and reorder over the phone.  I think if I have to reorder I will just order the rod by itself.  Thanks again,  Fin 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:21 AM »
I did actually get to talk to Jason Mitchell himself, had a cool short chat with him about ice fishing

that is one thing I always appreciated about Jason, if you have a rod issue or question, he answers all calls and emails personally. nothing better then getting your info right from the source

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:26 PM »
IceJunky -

Do you use the St. Croix Legend Light or Ultralight for the gills?  Got a sense from some other posts thatpeople suggest the UL: is too light.  I checked out the Light version and was afraid it was too stiff.  Worries about popping that 1lb line on hookset or during fight.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:50 PM »
IceJunky -

Do you use the St. Croix Legend Light or Ultralight for the gills?  Got a sense from some other posts thatpeople suggest the UL: is too light.  I checked out the Light version and was afraid it was too stiff.  Worries about popping that 1lb line on hookset or during fight

I do own a pair of the StCroix Legends, the UL is too light for my liking, It see limited action on the ice because of it. If you are using it strickly for gills you are probably Ok, but once you get into some hefty perch or crappies I found it to light

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2010, 12:43 PM »
the  best ice rods I use for panfishing  8ft of water and down are a in- line or pulsator rods. these rods are from 51-56 long, and have a spring bobber attached to the end. they also call them hole- hooping  rods. these are custom made rods. they look just like the ht still fish rod but longer. 

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Anybody using those Marmish things??
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Anybody using those Marmish things??

yep, all the time. They work great. when the bite gets tuff I always break out the marmish rof. lite line and be carefull with the bobber as then bend out of shape easily

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:19 PM »
I use St Croix UL premier rods. I have a 24 and 28 inch ones currently and will very shortly be adding two more 28's with one having the st croix spring bobber system!!! I like the fact that I am going to keep everything the same rod wise that way all my equipment is the same and I can concentrate more on my technique and setting the hook!! I do like the Jason Mitchell meatsticks as well. They seem to have a very sensitive tip and plenty of backbone in all the right places!!! Whatever you do I would put your own reels on and stay away from the combos. Just my opinion!!

Good luck!!

:icefish:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:27 PM »
My favorite gill rod is a 24" UL frabill panfish popper w/o the spring bobber.  I have 2 of these and a 24" L with pflueger 6720's....awesome setup. I did just get a st croix premier 24" UL and will see how it holds up.  Those UL poppers are tough as well...I have landed bass up to 5 pounds on em and broke off several times from bass or northerns with 4lb test line.  They have been doubled over in a 'U' with no ill effect other than me thinking i was going to be ordering another when it broke.  The other thing i like about these rods is the lite weight guides...a must on a UL rod to keep the rod from being a springy noodle.  The 24" L is just a bit stiff for my liking for gills but it is an awesome perch rod when using just slightly bigger jigs.  I dont like the spring bobbers simply because i tightline jig and cant pound/jiggle/twitch the lure with that spring bobber out there.
]

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Ice Blues work fine on 'gills, 18" or 24" in the Scout and 48" for hole hopping. Drop your major money on a good reel, line and/or spring bobber set up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.