Author Topic: LX7 Open Water.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
LX7 Open Water.
« on: Aug 26, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Just picked up a  Boat Transducer for my LX7
Should be interesting how well it will work.
I know I have to change the settings to open waters .
Maybe play with the colour settings so I can view it in the sunlight.
Off set the water dept as it will be mounted below the boat haul.
I'll be mostly using the sonar graph  as I do for lakers 100 ft down

If there are any other settings let my know?

Heading out tomorrow for some Walleye  in  15 - 20 ft of water.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LX7 Open Water.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2017, 12:06 PM »
a few tips i can think of.

the snow/rain shield along with polarized sun glasses makes them harder to view, so remove the shield. be carefull what you use to wipe it off. maybe add a lap top screen protector to yours to keep scratches at bay. look for anti glare versions when shopping for one and trim it to fit. a razor should make better edges on your cuts.

use black for a back ground color. makes it show as high contrast.

use narrow beam.

shouldn't need any IR so shut that off.

turn the ping rate up to 4 for faster movement of the fish. keep it slow (1) for ice fishing.

try ice mode or if you have updated your firmware, try the new mode 1 or 2, which ever ice mode is now. mine is a lx9 with no new firmware, so i don't recall what the new ice mode number is now.

try updating your firmware today. it is free and supposed to be easy to do. you will need the right USB cable that fits the lx7. i believe it's called a USB mini (not micro) that has both charge and data capabilities.

not sure if the transducer came with mounting instructions, but if you transom mount it make sure it doesn't hang below the bottom of the transom, but try to keep it the same height.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LX7 Open Water.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I had the open water transducer and the only benefit it had for me was the water temp, other than that, I was not impressed with it, used it multiple times and couldn't get the settings right, would lose bottom or get massive interference from the trolling motor. I have had better luck either hanging the ice ducer over the side or shooting the beam through the hull of my canoe. Just upgraded to a Lowrance elite 4 so no more Marcum for the open water.  Also I used the open water transducer on the previous update, it may behave different with the current update, and maybe I had a dud too.
"Balance in all things"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.