Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226561 times)

Offline jighead_steve

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Hey All,

I think I might have changed my mind here, I think I'm heading to BOQ and fishing there tomorrow evening and then heading up to Loughborough Lake on Saturday. Whats the ice conditions on the western portion of the lake, wanna fish for some lakers. As well I have never fished this lake before, where can I park thats safe and legal with out getting a ticket.

Thanks
JHS

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Hi boys!  I have been fishing this area for years now wishing there was an online forum like this and I finally found it! 

Regarding easily accessible lakes in the area I noticed nobody mentioned Draper and Upper Rock...they are easy as pie to get to, and they are going to be stocking them again this spring with 3000 splake biannually...so in a year or 2 they may start to produce again (now that people dont go there as much anymore!)

Also, does nobody fish Frontenac Park?  Moulton and Tetsmine are 2 of my favourites...not too easy to get to...but worth the hike!  Tetsmine is a major hike coming in from Kingsford dam, but coming in from Division street it's a very easy one hour hike...

And I think the wasiest to get to lake that produces for me is Collins lake...I always use the boat launch off of Lakefield road...it says "no Trespassing" but I think it's just to keep down traffic....heading out from that launch head southwest towards the "mouth" of the creek and it opens up again into another open area...there is a lot of big pike in there...we never leave empty handed and always catch something in the 5 pounds area at the least...

Anyways, good to have found this forum!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2009, 03:42 PM »
It is Thanksgiving weekend and pulling out the ice fishing gear to get it ready for sometime in next few months. I can hardly wait for this winter season and I believe this forum will be the most sought after because we all know the best fishing is right around Kingston.  Going to try and give more info about more lakes this year so that it becomes the most useful forum on this website.  Looking forward to the season coming and now where are my tip-ups!

Don the "Leviathan_Slayer"
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2009, 04:41 PM »
glad to hear it, maybe we can head one time this season...I spend too much time on dog (Old Standby) time to branch out

Offline jimmay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Maybe we could set up a meet and greet this year for all of the locals on here?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I would be down for that...I have some friends outside of town who would head down and I bet a few of teh Ottawa boys would join us as well

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:49 AM »
This would be a great idea! we should look to plan something latter January when we know there will be some ice.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Hello

Anyone had any luck this year?  I went out briefly on Dog Lake right by Gilmour point but didnt get anything.
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I head out of Gilmour and always have some luck. I've only been on dog once this season, lots of small gills, one flag and some pike on camera that would not bite

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I head out of Gilmour and always have some luck. I've only been on dog once this season, lots of small gills, one flag and some pike on camera that would not bite

Hmmm must be me then. lol  good to know there are fish there. If you see a black corolla in the parking area look for a guy with his daughter's red sled, come by and say hi.
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Well gang this year is proving to be a bit slow and the lakes are watering up on the ice again.  The weather is not going to be overly cooperative for next week or so, but guess what... that is a Canadian winter for you!  Have recently returned from a couple of weeks in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Afghanistan so I am looking forward to cutting some holes, baiting some jigs and hauling in the fish from the Back Lakes of Kingston! 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:20 AM »
If you see a black corolla in the parking area look for a guy with his daughter's red sled, come by and say hi.

You can miss me either, Im the lone blue clam just outside the shipyard bay, im there one day most weekends

Offline astroguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Hello, I'm from Kingston. Haven't been out in years but I took my boy out to Sydenham lake last Sunday. Hi +4!!!  I'm originally from Sudbury and I'll never get used to these early winter thaws!
No fish but alot of fun. Slushy black ice about 8" thick with open water at the shores. I fish this lake in the summer for pike but does anyone know a good access point close to a good ice fishing spot for pike?

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Hi,
First time posting here and thank you all for bits and pieces of info posted so far. I'm in Yarker area.
Sydenham is usually quite good or downright pathetic - very few mediocre days there for me. Try right around the beach area right in town. Small perch but decent pike if you have the time. There is only 1 hut out there so far.

Have been doing OK at Rock Lake but nothing spectacular. Friday afternoon there were a lot of perch haging around but very shy in biting, even after I got the 6lb "snake" out of the way. There was a lot of activity on ice so I did not bother going out on Saturday.

Anyone's been on Varty lately? Is Beaver worth trying?  Also, is anyone touching lakers in the extreme west end of Loughborough?
Heard of nice 'eye' at Silver lake and good sized perch on Echo - anyone can confirm this?

Offline astroguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Hi,
First time posting here and thank you all for bits and pieces of info posted so far. I'm in Yarker area.
Sydenham is usually quite good or downright pathetic - very few mediocre days there for me. Try right around the beach area right in town. Small perch but decent pike if you have the time. There is only 1 hut out there so far.

Have been doing OK at Rock Lake but nothing spectacular. Friday afternoon there were a lot of perch haging around but very shy in biting, even after I got the 6lb "snake" out of the way. There was a lot of activity on ice so I did not bother going out on Saturday.

Anyone's been on Varty lately? Is Beaver worth trying?  Also, is anyone touching lakers in the extreme west end of Loughborough?
Heard of nice 'eye' at Silver lake and good sized perch on Echo - anyone can confirm this?

Thanks for the info...BTW sorry to report that a local man from Napanee died a couple of days ago going through the ice on his sled near Shermans Point I believe....be careful.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Well I went out to Verona Lake last weekend and caught a 5lb pike and more perch than you can imagine.  The bite was on for over 4 hours.  Going to head out tomorrow (Sunday) and give it a try again.  Not sure about the ice after the rain this week but will see what happens.  Anyway, a lot of good quality fish in Verona Lake.  If you are out look for the "big guy" in camo - that will be me.  Take care for now and be safe out there!

Don

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:37 AM »
I have been meaning to fish verona the past couple seasons, can you maybe send me a pm with directions to the best parking and place to get on the ice?

thanx

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Hey Folks,
From Syracuse area of NY, looking to hit up that area for ice fishing. Friend from the states has a camp up there. Have heard of the Depot lakes and would love to try there or any of the others that you guys have mentioned. Any info on Canoe or any other of the area lakes not mentioned here? Sand lake or the Rideau chain or Devil? I would love to hook up with someone up there to fish and we can trade a trip to Central NY...

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dog Lake-Glimour Pt
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:00 PM »
 Ive been out a number of times now and have been able to get some perch but nothing else, I have seen some pike taken by others as well. Has anyone caught any Splake in this area?
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Yep, i catch a few splake in the gilmour/shipyard area. I set up for pike, and jig for panfish and perch. It is not a regular occurrence but then again im not targeting the specifically. I usually have a rod rigged with a jig and minnow waiting, if I draw in a splake while gill fishing I drop down the minnow to trigger him

I would say I catch a splake in about 20% of my outings to that area. Not bad sizes as well..here is one from last season in that spot

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Hi Folks
I'm in Toronto, but I visit my buddy in Kingston to fish as often as I can.
I try to research places for us to fish, but mostly rely on what he has heard from his friends.

Coming up this weekend, so further research led me to this forum.
Thanks for all the great info, I hope will more to share with you in a couple of days.

The plan was to head to Dog Lake. Had a good day out this time last year. Caught a 3+ pound pike. But I was amazed that we kept pulling up 3 pound large mouths. Never thought they would bite in winter.
I understand that they must be put back right away, as their eyes will freeze.

Yep, Dog Lake on Friday and thanks to you guys we are going to check out Verona or Collins on Saturday. Caught a pike on my first cast on Collins a couple of summers ago, but have not been back.

Don't have a sled, so we walk out when we fish. So I appreciate hearing info on places to park and walk on.

Still in TO, so I better get a move on.
Later

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Yep, as it moves on in feb and into march teh largemouth bass are really acive in Dog lake, they will take anything i throw down the hole. Im trargetting panfish with tiny jigs and catching 4-5lb largemouths

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Hi Folks
I'm in Toronto, but I visit my buddy in Kingston to fish as often as I can.
I try to research places for us to fish, but mostly rely on what he has heard from his friends.

Coming up this weekend, so further research led me to this forum.
Thanks for all the great info, I hope will more to share with you in a couple of days.

The plan was to head to Dog Lake. Had a good day out this time last year. Caught a 3+ pound pike. But I was amazed that we kept pulling up 3 pound large mouths. Never thought they would bite in winter.
I understand that they must be put back right away, as their eyes will freeze.

Yep, Dog Lake on Friday and thanks to you guys we are going to check out Verona or Collins on Saturday. Caught a pike on my first cast on Collins a couple of summers ago, but have not been back.

Don't have a sled, so we walk out when we fish. So I appreciate hearing info on places to park and walk on.

Still in TO, so I better get a move on.
Later

Any luck on Dog on friday? I am going to be there sat morning.  Interesting about the bass I bet they would be fun to catch with an UL.  They do need to be put back because they are out of season but I wouldnt worry to much about their eyes, they are part of the sunfish family so their eyes are no different than bluegills, pumpkinseed etc
@jzuliniak

Offline Buck on Collins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:45 PM »

And I think the wasiest to get to lake that produces for me is Collins lake...I always use the boat launch off of Lakefield road...it says "no Trespassing" but I think it's just to keep down traffic....heading out from that launch head southwest towards the "mouth" of the creek and it opens up again into another open area...there is a lot of big pike in there...we never leave empty handed and always catch something in the 5 pounds area at the least...

Anyways, good to have found this forum!

The Boat ramp you speak of IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. It is NOT a public access point. The point on the road where people are currently parking has no shoulder and when vehicles park there it becomes quite narrow. The worst part is over the last couple years people have left behind garbage etc. No property owner wants to spend a weekend or two in the spring cleaning up after others. It won't be long until this access will close if this continues. To bad that the few can spoil it for the many...
[/b]

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Had little luck on Dog Lake Friday.
Got out there about 3pm and condition were good. The ice was hard and about 16 inches. Hard work with an 8" hand auger.
Caught a 1.5 largemouth at about 5 and that was it.
Our lack of success may be due in part to our friend, who came at the last minute and was ill prepared for the cold. He just sat in the van playing loud music and being a general jack-ass. My apologies to any around us that found this just as annoying.

We ventured up to Verona on Saturday, but no luck. We only hung out for an hour or so. We found it too noisy and busy with folks doing donuts on their quads. Perhaps it was a clever way of driving off the out of towners.
Our intention was to hit Collins on the way back, but it just didn't work out.

Not complaining though. I love being outside and I enjoyed myself.
What's that saying? - 'A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work' ;)

Looking forward to my next road trip.

Thank again for the great info.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:01 PM »
 :tipup:

To fish is human, to catch fish is divine

Well I have been able to get out a few times over the last few weeks to Verona Lake and have had some good luck.  Catching around 40 to 50 perch each time (largest have been up to a 1 lb each - that was an exceptional day!) and at least one pike during each outing weighing between 4 to 5 lbs.  Have also pulled out a couple of walleye around 3lbs each - this is not normal but they drift in from Howes and Hambly Lakes. The secret right now is small bait about a foot only off the bottom (I have had as much luck with small rubber maggots as I have had with minnows).  This time of year is usually slow but if you fish deeper and smaller you will have as much luck as normal.  Going to try a few different lakes over the next few days: Second and Third Depot Lakes; Cronk Lake; Loughborough Lake (the lake trout are biting) and Crow Lake.

For those of you interested in fishing Verona Lake there are to good access points where you can drive on right now (ice is 18 inches thick): Water Street near the hardware store; and Salmon Lane adjacent to the convenience store and Esso.  There are at least 5 good spots for fishing on the lake - you will see where the shacks are located around the lake and each will consistently produce fish if you fish small bait.  Good luck and keep an eye out for the guy in camouflage and driving the black truck - that is me!

Take care!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:51 PM »
18 February and went out to Verona Lake again.  Caught several perch and lost probably the biggest pike I have ever caught in the lake.  My best estimate is that it was between 10 to 15 lbs. Had it 3/4 of the way out of the hole when with one slash of its month it spit the hook and slid right back down the hole!  Great day, great action, great fish!  Who said that mid-February fishing was impossible.  Hope the rest of you get out and enjoy the fishing around the back lakes of Kingston.

Don

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Out
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:08 PM »
This question is for anyone who has fished Loughborough and Dog Lake over the years....  Approx when does the ice break up on these lakes?
@jzuliniak

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Hey Don,(or anyone else who knows Verona lake)

Just curious what the ice on Verona Lake is like now after this week of rain and warm weather?  One more question is where is the best location to park and walk on to the lake?Can you park next to the boat launch on water st.( I don't know the lake at all so I prefer to walk rather than drive on the Lake) I might try my luck tomorrow or Friday.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Killer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Hey Don,(or anyone else who knows Verona lake)

Just curious what the ice on Verona Lake is like now after this week of rain and warm weather?  One more question is where is the best location to park and walk on to the lake?Can you park next to the boat launch on water st.( I don't know the lake at all so I prefer to walk rather than drive on the Lake) I might try my luck tomorrow or Friday.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Killer

HEY KILLER,

YOU CAN PARK AT BASE OF WATER STREET AND WALK OUT.  THE ICE IS STILL SAFE TO WALK ON BUT A LITTLE SLIPPERY IN SPOTS.  STILL 16" OF ICE.  GOOD LUCK OUT THERE   DON

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.