Poll

Will you be attending the Quinte G2G on Feb. 2nd/3rd?

Yes, 100%
8 (72.7%)
Maybe
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Feb 02, 2008, 02:58 PM

Author Topic: QUINTE G2G SIGNUP thread, please let us know if you plan on attending  (Read 12556 times)

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
Rob, I'll be heading up Thursday evening or Friday morning.In case everybody is out on the ice can you give me a heads up of which direction and approximately how far out from the parking lot you usually go?  Jim

I'll be heading back to quinte late wednesday morning. I'll be out on the ice but not off Pointe Anne as I normally fish further out on Big Bay and get onto the ice at a different location.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Sorry Guiness I cant help you out with this one as Im new to this area...here are the directions and map proivded by Fsihboy.....Anybody out there give us an idea on who far out we will be trekking to hit our spot?

Directions are as follows with a couple of helpful landmarks:

Head east out of Belleville on Hwy #2 until you get to Pointe Anne Lane. It's on the right side. There is a variety/convienance store before you have to turn. Pointe Anne Lane is well marked with MTO signs.

Follow Pointe Anne lane south to the "T" in the road. (Don't overshoot the stop sign or you'll hit the house)

At the stop sign turn left and continue East on Pointe Anne Lane, keep going past the fire hall and you'll come to a locked gate for the cement plant. Follow the road around to the right and you'll drive right out to the point. You can park up on shore or if the ice is thick enough you can drive down the boat ramp park in the sheltered bay ( You'll be able to tell from the tire tracks)

Here is a Link to Google Maps to give everyone a rough idea of where they are going. Where Pointe Anne Lane ends on the map is just about where you have to follow the road to the right to get to the point.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=belleville,+ontario&ie=UTF8&ll=44.166137,-77.295427&spn=0.028937,0.080338&z=14&om=1

Offline Jeff_C

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay of Quinte
Sorry Guiness I cant help you out with this one as Im new to this area...here are the directions and map proivded by Fsihboy.....Anybody out there give us an idea on who far out we will be trekking to hit our spot?

Directions are as follows with a couple of helpful landmarks:

Head east out of Belleville on Hwy #2 until you get to Pointe Anne Lane. It's on the right side. There is a variety/convienance store before you have to turn. Pointe Anne Lane is well marked with MTO signs.

Follow Pointe Anne lane south to the "T" in the road. (Don't overshoot the stop sign or you'll hit the house)

At the stop sign turn left and continue East on Pointe Anne Lane, keep going past the fire hall and you'll come to a locked gate for the cement plant. Follow the road around to the right and you'll drive right out to the point. You can park up on shore or if the ice is thick enough you can drive down the boat ramp park in the sheltered bay ( You'll be able to tell from the tire tracks)

Here is a Link to Google Maps to give everyone a rough idea of where they are going. Where Pointe Anne Lane ends on the map is just about where you have to follow the road to the right to get to the point.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=belleville,+ontario&ie=UTF8&ll=44.166137,-77.295427&spn=0.028937,0.080338&z=14&om=1

Right in front of this access point is around 12" of ice.  As you head West it will go down.

Jeff

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
Fish-boy, Is Big Bay considered below Shannonville as shown on this map http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Belleville,+ON&ie=UTF8&om=0&ll=44.178265,-77.181015&spn=0.212736,0.462799&z=11 ? If so where is there access to the bay and does anybody ever go out from the south side of the bay (Demorestville)? Thanks Jim

Big bay is south of Shannonville as shown on the map.  The easiest place to get on the ice from the north side is point anne. I know that you can also get on the ice from the south side. I'm just not sure exactly where to get on the ice there.

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
It sounds like the ice is getting better for sure from the various reports I've been reading.  I think we should be good to go for Pointe Anne.  Should this not work out... maybe we could look at going out at the end of Hercimer St., it is right off of Hwy.#2 on the way to Pointe Anne and usually has better ice conditions due to no current... this also usually equates to less fish though.  I will caution everyone though to be sure not to just wander off too close to the narrows which is right out to the right off of Pointe Anne unless you see others on our side of the bay.  You will see others that have accessed another area on the other side but the narrows is where the ice will be the worst from the current there.  Better safe than sorry. 

Mild spell is coming so we better check in again before heading down to see if the ice held up good.  Hopefully we will get some more reports before heading down.

Guiness watch for any area that narrows down on the bay due to current I wouldn't want to walk on these areas let alone drive on the atv around these parts.

Anyone looking to split Motel costs on Saturday night let me know.  I don't smoke or snore and I promise to avoid the beans.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
From looking at the map when you access the bay off of Pointe Anne are you fishing Big Bay?If you use Herchimer your on the other side of the narrow to Big Bay,so would you fish the area between 62 and the narrow or cross over to the south side and access Big Bay from the south?Is there a name for the area between 62 and the narrow and is there parking at the end of Herchimer?  Thanks for the heads up about the narrows. I'll be on a quad, is there any other areas to avoid? "Dazed And Confused"

There is a parking lot and boat launch at Herchimer. If you're fishing west of the Narrows then you'll be in the actual Bay of QUinte as it's named on the charts.  You can also fish off the conservation are by potters creek but I don't know the ice conditions there so use caution. Your best bet would be to check with Ron at Skevy's bait shop.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Ok all, I stepped on the ice at Pt Anne this afternoon and things are looking good. There was atleast 2 permanent huts on the ice and around 5 or 6 portables and one guys sitting out in the open. Just as I pulled up a group of guys were loading up there ATV's to head out as well.

Looks like we are in business....what sounds like a good meeting time for you guys...I was thinking 6:30 meet and greet and hit the ice by 7am...let me know  your thoughts....early is good as there is not a ton of parkign and weekends things can get hectic...I would buy your minnows the night befor and have them ready to go in the am

Lets do a little roll call see who is still joining us and who has pulled out...also let us know if you are good with a 6am meet time

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
C.C., Polar Bear, Ice-Curmudgeon, and myself are still in. We're taking off for quinte tomorrow night.
Ken                                          

Offline iceholeeo

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigholeeo, Kell and myself will be there, but we will be later than 07:00, unless somebody could direct us to a place where we can buy our licenses and some bait early enough.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
well the G2G is set for Saturday the 2nd and Sunday the 3rd, but those arriving early feel free the use this thread to set up your meeting time and place

Offline Eyesorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
I will be in hopefully mid afternoon on Friday so I would be up for the late afternoon bite.

What size minnows should we be looking for or is any size ok? 

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
I'm sitting here at work and can't get a thing done. I am looking so forward to fishing BOQ and meeting you guys up there. Just think, tomorrow by this time I could have photo's and measurements for a hog to go on the wall :o. See ya all in a few days.
   Jim

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
What size minnows should we be looking for or is any size ok?

Most of the local joints carry a couple sizes, and will be able to tell you whats working. They usually have Small, medium and large, in shiners or muds, if you can get shiners go for it in the medium range thats what I use

I am looking so forward to fishing BOQ and meeting you guys

Same here C.C, I only live 40 minutes away from the BOQ but I booked a hotel room close by to ensure nothing messes with my chances of getting on the ice and staying late

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Something has come up for a day next week and I will have to pick up a shift this weekend for a day  :-\  :( I am going to do my damnest to make it out Saturday guys...

I wish you all good luck and many pigs. Please do share your experience upon return  ;D

The following weekend I see no problem swinging in a day or two out on HayBay. Just let me know if any of you bay boys will be out there  :)

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Found this info on another site and grabbed a screenshot of the water around Pointe Anne.  This came from the Garmin site at http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

The narrows are just outside the left hand border of the picture.... shaky ice there so beware.  I am pretty impressed that Garmin is letting us look so closely at these maps.  I found a nice saddle not too far from our ice access and will be setting up there for Saturday morning.  I think I will have to take a closer look at some of Garmin's products too in the future....  8)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
thanx Seaweed that is cool,

I took a drive down to Pt Anne this afternoon, about 5 trucks parked at the launch could only see the one permanent hut out there and a ouple guys walking out

I did see a couple US Plates on the trucks and one Iceshanty sticker so I know some of our american buddies made it our...hope they had luck,

see ya on saturday

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
thanx Seaweed that is cool,

I took a drive down to Pt Anne this afternoon, about 5 trucks parked at the launch could only see the one permanent hut out there and a ouple guys walking out

I did see a couple US Plates on the trucks and one Iceshanty sticker so I know some of our american buddies made it our...hope they had luck,

see ya on Saturday

I was on the ice this afternoon off Point Anne. There were 4 gents from PA. I was talking to them before they came up. They were out most of the day and got a few fish.

I'll be back out there again for the next few days.

As for the Garmin charts that were posted above. The actual chart for the Garmin GPS are much more accurate. I run a Garmin 276c on the handle bars of my quad. I highly recommend Garmin products as I've used them for years.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
That likely would have been Bean and company.  When you guys run into 'em out there, tell 'em Bucketmouth says HI  ;)

Don

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
That likely would have been Bean and company.  When you guys run into 'em out there, tell 'em Bucketmouth says HI  ;)

Don

They're staying at the Park Motel as well. I was going to go over and talk to them in a little bit. Talked to them a bit ont he shore but it was dark.

Offline Jeff_C

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay of Quinte
Point Anne East ice should be fine for you guys.  The West end will be very dangerous at the narrows.  Also, if you run at all, don't go into Telegraph Narrows as it will be dangerous at all.  Stay out in Big Bay.

Good luck everyone...

I'll be out there myself, but will have people with me and probably will not be able to come by.  We'll see what happens though.

Jeff

Offline rabidsponge

• Team IceShanty Regular
everyone thats travleing down today, drive safe...we have a winter storm watch in this area and want to make sure everyone arrives intact please lol

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
everyone thats travleing down today, drive safe...we have a winter storm watch in this area and want to make sure everyone arrives intact please lol

That was another factor to this trip Chowder Head...Hope to see some of ya out next weekend.

Don, Is Rich and Ransome still going up?
Andrew

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
No, there was a possible day trip in the works but that's likely nixed now due to the weather.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye

Most of the snow has now stopped down here. There is a little bit of snow a bit of freezing rain and a few ice pellets mixed in as well. But for the most park everything is done.  We went on the ice this morning with no snow and when we came off there was 8+ inches in the parking lot and lots of drifts on the bay.  All I can say is thank you for my GPS. Without it we'd still be out there. Visibility when we came off was only about 10 yards.  We'll be headed back out this afternoon.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
ChowderHead and I will be there tommorrow and Sunday still, we may be a bit later then expected in the am depending on the road conditions.....dont worry about the 7am meet and greet, just hit the ice and we can all meet up out there....see ya on the ice

Offline Eyesorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
I made it Park Lane Motel, what a drive I think I made 60 km/hr once in 6 hrs of driving.  Can't wait to get on the ice now

Offline Eyesorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
Where can we get minnows in the a.m.? I was to late getting to Skevy's

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
Where can we get minnows in the a.m.? I was to late getting to Skevy's

Skevy's opens at 5:30 am and he has some of he best minnows in town at the moment.

Offline Eyesorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks I stop by in the morn.  by the way I will be in the turquois chevy with the Utah plates fyi.  see ya'll out on the Pt

Jamie

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
I'm driving a Black Ram with a trailer behind hit with a yellow quad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.