Author Topic: Anyone ever targeted sturgeon through the ice?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone ever targeted sturgeon through the ice?
« on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:07 AM »
I saw some pretty wicked videos on sturgeon fishing through the ice and the wife said she wanted to try it (I know!), but I don't even know what bodies of water you can even do that here in Sask. I know the rivers are always the places to hit in the summer, but I don't like siting on our rivers in the winter. It'd be cool to camp out for an overnighter on a lake for some dinos. Do we even have sturgeon populations outside of the river?

Anyone ever tried this in Sask? Not asking for spots.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone ever targeted sturgeon through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I've heard of guys getting the odd one through the ice at tobin.  Diefenbaker would be your only other option but personally I don't think they'd be worth targeting,  not to mention that being illegal.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Is that illegal? What is illegal about it? I was under the impression you couldn't keep them but you could target them.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2021, 03:55 PM »
 I believe it's still illegal to target sturgeon but doubt anyone's ever been charged for hanging chicken livers on a pickerel rig so I'm sure it's much the same through the ice. 

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2021, 06:40 PM »
A few years ago, it was made clear in the angler's guide that one should not target lake sturgeon. That clause is no longer in the more recent annual guides. Instead, sturgeon has been listed as having a possession limit of 0.

I believe it is now legal to target sturgeons then release them.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2021, 06:57 PM »
 thanks for that toon, i stand corrected.

none the less, if you were to get one through the ice i think it would be wise to stop in and buy a 6/49 on your way home.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:02 PM »
Ive caught a number of them open water and through the ice while fishing for eyes and even pans.  I grew up on Lake Poygan in Wisconsin where they have a legal spearing season through the ice by draw.  Its a handful for sure but after a couple its kind of a hassle...they tend to destroy the lighter weight rigs. 

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:05 PM »
There used to be a really interesting documentary on Amazon prime called The Frozen Chosen. Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin has a legal sturgeon season. It's only lasts 16 days on the ice and you have to sight fish and spear them for it to be legal. I recommend checking it out if you can find it.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:01 PM »
I read that they are mounting a comeback, especially in North Saskatchewan River. The only ones I saw were in the little aquarium in the Geology Atrium in the university.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:39 PM »
There used to be a really interesting documentary on Amazon prime called The Frozen Chosen. Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin has a legal sturgeon season. It's only lasts 16 days on the ice and you have to sight fish and spear them for it to be legal. I recommend checking it out if you can find it.

That's a pretty accurate documentary.  Poygan is an upriver lake in the Winnebago "chain" and spearing is the "event" on the ice and at the weigh stations and taverns around the area during the season.  There used to be a radio broadcast with Polka Music (Jerry Schneider I believe) featuring updates and interviews from people around the lakes.  Its a wonderful cultural event.   Water clarity is a significant factor in the success rate.  Spear fishers hang "decoys" of all shapes and sizes down the hole...primarily to guage the size of anything swimming by. There's even been a bit of drama the last few years...they busted a black market caviar ring.  Caviar was being purchased in WI and sent to fancy eateries in Chicago...allegedly. ::)

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2021, 10:08 PM »
That's a pretty accurate documentary.  Poygan is an upriver lake in the Winnebago "chain" and spearing is the "event" on the ice and at the weigh stations and taverns around the area during the season.  There used to be a radio broadcast with Polka Music (Jerry Schneider I believe) featuring updates and interviews from people around the lakes.  Its a wonderful cultural event.   Water clarity is a significant factor in the success rate.  Spear fishers hang "decoys" of all shapes and sizes down the hole...primarily to guage the size of anything swimming by. There's even been a bit of drama the last few years...they busted a black market caviar ring.  Caviar was being purchased in WI and sent to fancy eateries in Chicago...allegedly. ::)
Wow that's interesting!

I've never caught a sturgeon  but I hope to by accident someday! Have heard from a few people who've caught them in Tobin, SK and the fight can be unreal.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2021, 06:52 AM »
search out DTro on here.  he has put up some vids on this.  i bet he would yap with ya on tackle and such.  special rods are needed to winch them up.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2021, 11:50 PM »
A few years ago, it was made clear in the angler's guide that one should not target lake sturgeon. That clause is no longer in the more recent annual guides. Instead, sturgeon has been listed as having a possession limit of 0.

I believe it is now legal to target sturgeons then release them.

Can confirm.  Asked a co this fall, and it is legal to target them, but there is a possession limit of zero and all attempts should be made to keep the fish in the water as much as possible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.