Author Topic: Winter Finally Arrived  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Winter Finally Arrived
« on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Knew it would happen eventually, the bottom fell out of the thermometer today.  ;D

[/img]

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Winter Finally Arrived
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:32 PM »
You say you have never owned a pair of long johns ???

WS

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:41 PM »
We still have a while to go this far south, but it's trending down now. We'll start seeing those teaser skim overs in the next week or two. It was 19°F this morning, and the nightly lows are all below freezing in the 10 day forecast.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Man about time I was starting to get a little worried.  You’ll have to let me know when GS starts to ice over. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2021, 07:14 PM »
It seems like in Yellowknife you need to be prepared for a 40 degree temp. change at any time. Just FYI, I am conversant in 4 temperature scales as a scientist, so no need to quote both F and C in any post on my account. I know most Americans don't want to or think they need to be aware of the Celsius scale, and that it is actually a point of embarrassment for me, as we are 1 of only 2 countries that have not adopted the Celsius scale  / metric system in general into everyday life. Why would anyone voluntarily choose the F system, that the creator made the thermometer for before immersing it into boiling or freezing water, only to find out that freezing and boiling points occurred at the inconvenient thermometer readings of 32 and 212 degrees ?  Even Americans have to admit that that freezing and boiling points of 0 an 100 C are much more convenient to memorize. C'mon man !

Some will question what the other 2 temperature scales are, so I will provide the answer now. The Kelvin scale measures temperatures such that there are no negative numbers - the theoretical temperature of 0 Kelvin has not been achieved, but has been measured in experiments to as low as 0.0001 Kelvin ( figure may not be exact, but the point is, they have gotten very close to absolute zero ), so approaching absolute 0 which is the lowest temperature achievable and at which all molecular motion stops. The Rankin scale is just the Kelvin scale converted to Farenhiet, so worthless to almost everyone in 2021. Degrees Celsius plus 273 = degrees Kelvin
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2021, 01:50 AM »
It seems like in Yellowknife you need to be prepared for a 40 degree temp. change at any time. Just FYI, I am conversant in 4 temperature scales as a scientist, so no need to quote both F and C in any post on my account. I know most Americans don't want to or think they need to be aware of the Celsius scale, and that it is actually a point of embarrassment for me, as we are 1 of only 2 countries that have not adopted the Celsius scale  / metric system in general into everyday life. Why would anyone voluntarily choose the F system, that the creator made the thermometer for before immersing it into boiling or freezing water, only to find out that freezing and boiling points occurred at the inconvenient thermometer readings of 32 and 212 degrees ?  Even Americans have to admit that that freezing and boiling points of 0 an 100 C are much more convenient to memorize. C'mon man !

Some will question what the other 2 temperature scales are, so I will provide the answer now. The Kelvin scale measures temperatures such that there are no negative numbers - the theoretical temperature of 0 Kelvin has not been achieved, but has been measured in experiments to as low as 0.0001 Kelvin ( figure may not be exact, but the point is, they have gotten very close to absolute zero ), so approaching absolute 0 which is the lowest temperature achievable and at which all molecular motion stops. The Rankin scale is just the Kelvin scale converted to Farenhiet, so worthless to almost everyone in 2021. Degrees Celsius plus 273 = degrees Kelvin

LOL, give me a break NY, if I get to my shanty and my crown is frozen its cold regardless of deg C or deg F....and its cold up here too both in C and F!  I think ill put my shanty out this weekend ;D
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2021, 06:02 AM »
 :wacko:  Temp, schmemp. All I know is that's COLD!    :pinch:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Oh man crown slushies sounds pretty good.  It’s been a few years since I’ve had one of those, you might get your chance this weekend.  It looks like it might hit -40 Fahrenheit or -40 Celsius which ever one you prefer. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:01 AM »
The coldest I have seen here in southern NY is 19 degrees so far but Mother Nature painted me a very pretty picture.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Coldest I've seen it here was -29* F  in 2009....we usually get at least one -20 F day a winter.

Last year had a string of these...but that's typical Minnysoda.  ::)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:24 AM »
We haven't seen too many lows below the 20s yet, but they'll start picking up at the turn of the month. First ice usually isn't until January here. December in this area is usually a long teaser skim ice stage where ponds lock up at night, then thaw open again during the day.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:26 AM »
I just drove by a small pond in NE Illinois and thin layer of ice at shoreline. It’s a start.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2021, 11:33 AM »
You say you have never owned a pair of long johns ???

WS

I did own them when I was a young buck and couldn't handle the cold.   ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Man about time I was starting to get a little worried.  You’ll have to let me know when GS starts to ice over.

Not to worry bud it'll be 5'-6' thick by the time you get here!!!! :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Warrior
I do the conversion for the metrically challenged.
;)
Don't want to hurt anyone's brains.  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.