Author Topic: Small Reel/Big Spool  (Read 1046 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Small Reel/Big Spool
« on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Do they exist? I want a light panfish spinning reel with a good size spool for less line twist. Is there such a thing besides the in-lines. Reel quality is not a big deal to me for this purpose.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Small Reel/Big Spool
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2021, 03:57 PM »
The old Stradic 1000Ci4+ has a 42mm spool lip as opposed to the standard 40mm spool lip on most 1000 sized Shimano reels.

The Vanford 2000 is a larger spool on the same 1000 Vanford reel body.

The most important thing is actually the spool arbor that makes a lot of difference even if the spools have the same physical diameter.  For that feature look at the Diawa Revros 1000 sized reel and you see it has a shallow spool depth.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2021, 04:34 PM »
That size I’ve seen, probably as big as a small reel gets unless someone knows something we don’t.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:09 PM »
The old US Reels had those big spools and Pflueger used to make a similar reel.  As the problem wasn't so much the big oversized spools but the small spool arbor which diminishes any merits to it.

There are reels in the Japanese Market that are especially designed to have shallow spools for thin light lines.  However you're looking at reels that generally starts in the price of $300 and upwards.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:41 PM »
As the problem wasn't so much the big oversized spools but the small spool arbor which diminishes any benefit.                     I’m looking for large shallow spool arbor, not large line capacity.               

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2021, 09:31 AM »

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:22 AM »
I use my summer reels (1000) in the winter and only use superlines usually with a couple of feet of fluorocarbon tied on the end. Rarely ever trouble with line memory on superlines. Been using only superlines for well over 10 years now and can't imagine ever going back to mono.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:37 AM »
As HWeber mentioned,  Piscifun has the shallow spool...for the Carbon X only. Not an ice fishing reel per se but price is good. Alternative...why not just load up the reels you have with some inexpensive line, then using the line you're actually going to fish with to finish it off? 🤷‍♂️
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:46 AM »
As HWeber mentioned,  Piscifun has the shallow spool...for the Carbon X only. Not an ice fishing reel per se but price is good. Alternative...why not just load up the reels you have with some inexpensive line, then using the line you're actually going to fish with to finish it off? 🤷‍♂️

You are definitely correct that they are not an ice reel. I should've mentioned that, if you're looking for something real smooth it will need to be relubed. Tested one recently it stiffened up a bit after some time in the freezer. Although not as bad as one of the ice reels I bought from Scheels last year. 

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:11 PM »
Use braid?
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:48 PM »
that’s what I’ll end up doing.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:28 AM »
Looks like the Carbon X is now available in an ice fishing version. Now that shallow spool should work.

https://www.piscifun.com/collections/ice-fishing-reel/products/piscifun-carbon-x-ice-fishing-reel-spinning-reel?variant=31961390186565
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:45 AM »
The Okuma Avenger that I have has a pretty good sized spool and has low capacity compared to most I've seen.  It holds much less than a Pflueger President, for example.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.