Author Topic: Ice Spinning Reels  (Read 1027 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Spinning Reels
« on: Nov 28, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Shimano Sienna, Okuma Ceymar, Piscifun ICX 5, Piscifun Carbon X, Piscifun Viper X, Pflueger Trion.

I’ve looked at and own most of these. Just wanted to get thoughts and opinions. Mainly looking for 1000 size reels. Recently bought a Shimano Sienna 1000 and Okuma Ceymar C10.

What on the list or different would you guys recommend between $30-$50?

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Spinning Reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:12 PM »
I have 3-4 of the pflueger ice reels, they are smooth and work pretty well. They are the only spinning reels I have bought for myself. I’m kind of split between these and black Betty freefall reels.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2021, 11:02 PM »
Been a Shimano fan for spinnng reels for about 40 years now. I working in fishing retail years ago for about 13 years, three of them as a buyer so have used many many reels but always seem to go back to the Shimanos and haven't really looked at others for years but I know their is lots of great reels, and rods out there. You might have to go a bit higher for some of the Shimano reels but only you can decide if their worth it for the type of fishing you do.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:26 AM »
Looks like the Carbon X is available in an ice fishing version now. You can also get a shallow spool to reduce line coiling.

https://www.piscifun.com/collections/ice-fishing-reel/products/piscifun-carbon-x-ice-fishing-reel-spinning-reel?variant=31961390186565
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:27 AM »
I've tried a lot fishing reels for icefishing...

Sienna is mostly plastic (or "graphite"), but OK for the $.

I've tried Pscifun baitcasters, but not the spinning.  Baitcaster lasted about 1 yr.  Durability may be an issue?

The best 1 that you listed is the Ceymar C-10.  You can buy carbon fiber drag washers online to upgrade.  The old ones and new ones take different drag washers, so best to measure - then order.  I have a bunch of them & they are great reels for the $.  Can usually find them on sale online, too.

I tried the new UL Daiwa reels & didn't like them, but anything from legalis 1000 & up are great reels.  The new ones are very light, too.  (A little more $, tho).

The old standard was the Tica Cetus reels - still great reels, but I prefer the Ceymar C-10 for most of my jigging now.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Give a look to th Diawa OR750.  Well built. good drag and sells for $29.95.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:42 AM »
Looks like the Carbon X is available in an ice fishing version now. You can also get a shallow spool to reduce line coiling.

https://www.piscifun.com/collections/ice-fishing-reel/products/piscifun-carbon-x-ice-fishing-reel-spinning-reel?variant=31961390186565

Ya I noticed that and was looking into the shallow spool as well. 25% off Cyber Monday sale today as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.