The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Best boots to ice fish in?  (Read 6745 times)

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Best boots to ice fish in?
« on: Nov 22, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Looking forward to what I hope is a good ice eyar. In the market for some new boots as mine are old, worn and when out on the ice last winter I almost always finished the day with wet feet.

Looking into the "Muck Boots Arctic Ice Extreme Conditions Tall Rubber Men's Winter Boot With Arctic Grip Outsole" and then also the "SOREL - Men's Blizzard XT Insulated Winter Boot". I have always been a Sorel guy but looking to maybe change it up if the Muck Boots are what people reccomend.

Both are rated for -40 degrees. The Muck Boots I know are 100% waterproof all the way up the leg where as I am not positive the SORELs offer that same protection. I know the Sorels I have now do not but that could be becasue they are old and worn.

What are you all rocking? Open to other suggestions. Price doesnt matter too much and ok with spending up to $200. I am really looking for the best boot for the job at keeping my feet warm and dry and will last for many seasons. I typcially do a day or two snowmobiling and other than that the only other time I'd be wearing them is snowblowing/shoveling in the winter months.

Cheers!
Dan

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Best boots to ice fish in?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04:04 PM »
TONS of information HERE

The link points back to all the past conversations, about boots, on Ice Shanty so you don't have to go digging:)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Hoo boy! Like anything else on here, you're gonna get opinions and suggestions out the arse. Me? I prefer to Google. Check the ratings, etc. But even they can be biased. You just hafta' "filter" through some of it. Personally? I like my Bogs Bozemans but haven't seen many on here speak of them. About $150, rated at -70* , waterproof, lightweight, easy on- easy off. And they keep my 66 year old toes nice and toasty. So there's my "suggestion ".  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Korkers Polar Vortex 1200 are my everyday ice boots.  I also have a pair of -148° rated Baffin Shackletons if we ever have another winter like ‘13-‘14, but they are humongous, only for extreme conditions.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/korkers-polar-vortex-1200-boot_10352654?ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Korkers&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-MJ-Shopping-PROMO-Brand-Generic%7CMJ-Shopping-PROMO-Brand-Generic-_-google%7C10931625285%7C109096368364%7C459107671910%7Cpla-297601592601%7Cc%7C9006304%7C3911952&gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYa7e_2ww4BailCYtJ-bqawsbCapOkrT1-Hs-jpAveLNcTHEsHJobLxoCOR0QAvD_BwE

I have the previous iteration of these boot, the TundraJacks.  Love them.  Super light, warm and have built in carbide ice studs.  If you go to the Moosejaw site via Active Junky, you’ll save an additional 12% or about $170ish total.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Mickeys

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:31 PM »
My Baffins are the best boots I have ever owned, light and warm and no more wet feet like my sorels

Offline Fishflesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:40 PM »
Bought some baffin, snow mobile boots, they were like wearing cinder blocks! Got the artic muck boots, way better!  The weight, the flex.  Both were very waterproof.  With my back issues I could not wear the baffins. Just my 2 cents.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:48 PM »
Then you bought the wrong ones

Offline Fishflesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:53 PM »
Then you bought the wrong ones
Don't get butt hurt on an opinion question bud. I now from experience wearing both, in MY OPINION,  artic muck boots are way better. ;)

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Cabelas sascachiwan
Probably didn’t spell that right

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Can't go wrong with the muck boots. I got them last year they are incredibly warm and now I don't have to worry about my feet at all. No more worrying about if the edges are weak, just walk right on(as long as its not deep obviously). Fishing ice with 6 inches of slush on top? No worries you won't even notice it. I couldn't go back to a regular style boot.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:58 AM »
All good feedback. And google reviews are good but who knows who is leaving them and what they are using the boots for. Some posts in here that I found about boots were dated and feel like just like anything every year there are better products that come out. Also, I’m starting to get excited about this season and love to get some good back and forth going on here!

Cheers!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:29 AM »

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:43 PM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-muck-arctic-ice-tall-boots/664911-AVTV-000.html?cgid=all

Thanks for sharing this deal! I’ve been eyeing the tall Arctic Ice since last season and it’s hard to beat this price. Just ordered.

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2021, 10:43 PM »
Mickey"s

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2021, 01:03 AM »

I ordered a pair of the Arctic ice , my lacrosse wore out  , great price , thought I’d give them a try

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2021, 06:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing this deal! I’ve been eyeing the tall Arctic Ice since last season and it’s hard to beat this price. Just ordered.

I ordered a pair of the Arctic ice , my lacrosse wore out  , great price , thought I’d give them a try

Mine arrived from Scheels..went up a size as I like a thicker sock and a liner sock ..they seem a lil chunkier then my   Muck Arctic Sports..they should fit the bill for the mid season slush fest .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Baffin Titans!! Made in Canada. We know a few things about cold weather, eh!! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2021, 01:41 PM »
muck boats only last a season for me and the type of abuse I put them through. nice boots at not bad cost but depends on the type of use you intend to use them for.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Baffin Titans!! Made in Canada. We know a few things about cold weather, eh!! ;D

This is the correct answer

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2021, 04:45 PM »
LACROSS

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2021, 06:59 PM »
Mickeys gets my vote, but then again iv only used one other kind, field and stream. Never had an issue with Mickeys. Been rocking em since 07
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2021, 08:50 PM »
I wish they made the Muck boots in wide! Yes I know they stretch, but with my 6E feet, they are to tight (making my feet cold) or to long. If any one ever sees a wide Muck boot, please let me know.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2021, 12:08 PM »
I go with Sorel, and have no complaints. I’ve never had any other boot, so I cant compare, but haven’t been let down with Sorel.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2021, 02:28 PM »
I’m a huge fan of Danner. I have work boots, hiking boots and my winter boots that I use for hunting and ice fishing.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2021, 03:06 PM »
Looking forward to what I hope is a good ice eyar. In the market for some new boots as mine are old, worn and when out on the ice last winter I almost always finished the day with wet feet.

Looking into the "Muck Boots Arctic Ice Extreme Conditions Tall Rubber Men's Winter Boot With Arctic Grip Outsole" and then also the "SOREL - Men's Blizzard XT Insulated Winter Boot". I have always been a Sorel guy but looking to maybe change it up if the Muck Boots are what people reccomend.

Both are rated for -40 degrees. The Muck Boots I know are 100% waterproof all the way up the leg where as I am not positive the SORELs offer that same protection. I know the Sorels I have now do not but that could be becasue they are old and worn.

What are you all rocking? Open to other suggestions. Price doesnt matter too much and ok with spending up to $200. I am really looking for the best boot for the job at keeping my feet warm and dry and will last for many seasons. I typcially do a day or two snowmobiling and other than that the only other time I'd be wearing them is snowblowing/shoveling in the winter months.

Cheers!
Dan

Are your feet wet from leaks or from sweat??

The coldest rated boots wont do jack if your feet are sweating the whole time. Using the same boots to snowmobile and shovel will work but when shoveling, again, your feet will sweat. Baffin Tians are a great boot if hot feet are not your thing. None of the boots posted are bad at all. its a matter of which one will work best for you.

I wear muck wetland boots with thin dress socks because my feet sweat, doing this keeps my feet form getting cold. My buddy wears muck arctics with wool socks to keep hi feet warm so it differs from person to person.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:35 AM »
This is the correct answer
  cut the crap, rob

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:49 PM »
I'll always vote for the mucks, I've had a pair crack and I was disappointed but they never leaked even after, and replacements have been good. I generally find closeouts on authentic mucks on ebay for about half price..usually only in camo for cheap price, but after a year the camp is worn off anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.