Author Topic: Clam plate to Orange NIls  (Read 1446 times)

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam plate to Orange NIls
« on: Nov 18, 2021, 02:53 PM »
There was a thread back in 2017.

I cant seem to find anything on ebay, just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution that does not involve me finding a metal shop :)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam plate to Orange NIls
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2021, 04:40 PM »
I believe/recall there is a EBAY individual who will custom make an adapter . Sorry no further information.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2021, 05:17 PM »
I believe/recall there is a EBAY individual who will custom make an adapter . Sorry no further information.

Searched Ebay and couldnt find it.

The Thread from 2017 had a link but it was not helpful.

I think I am just going to cut off the chuck part, make it a regular Nils :)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2021, 07:42 PM »
I’ve got a gen 2 plate. Clam makes an adaptor the stem might fit up inside it I’m guessing the guy on eBay quit making them since clam started and was 1/2 the price

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2021, 09:00 PM »
I’ve got a gen 2 plate. Clam makes an adaptor the stem might fit up inside it I’m guessing the guy on eBay quit making them since clam started and was 1/2 the price

Is the shaft that much shorter ion the Newer clam plate?  I have an older one.  The shaft of the Nils (where you would normally attach a drill) is about an inch too long to fit in the calm adapter I picked up this weekend.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2021, 11:17 PM »
Is the shaft that much shorter ion the Newer clam plate?  I have an older one.  The shaft of the Nils (where you would normally attach a drill) is about an inch too long to fit in the calm adapter I picked up this weekend.

I don't know. My Generation 2 was an early clam plate. It's one of the versions where a guy had to take the chuck off of the drill.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2021, 05:45 AM »

Which Clam adapter did you buy ?

There is a difference in the hole placement. I purchased the bottom one recently to solve a problem with the hole alinement with the stub of the ION quick release adapter .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2021, 06:47 AM »
I can make what you need. I just need to know the dimension of the Nils end.
PM me & we will get you fixed up.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Which Clam adapter did you buy ?

There is a difference in the hole placement. I purchased the bottom one recently to solve a problem with the hole alinement with the stub of the ION quick release adapter .

Neither of those, they are not the clam plate adaptors

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:45 AM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Neither of those, they are not the clam plate adaptors

I believe the picture you posted will not fit the Orange Nils .. The pictures I posts are K-Drill (22mm) adapters to the Clam Plate(18mm)

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-14462-Auger-Adapter-Conversion/dp/B07TTCVXXX/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nils+adapter&qid=1637329840&sr=8-2

Based on the picture in the reviews it does not fit ..note I have no experience/knowledge of Nils dimensions .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2021, 12:38 PM »
Check out this thread. Has a phone number of a guy recommended by Frank Deluca, said 40 bucks to make one and ship it

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/threads/clam-conversion-plate-adapter-for-nils-convertible-auger.607375/

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2021, 08:15 PM »
I believe the picture you posted will not fit the Orange Nils .. The pictures I posts are K-Drill (22mm) adapters to the Clam Plate(18mm)

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-14462-Auger-Adapter-Conversion/dp/B07TTCVXXX/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nils+adapter&qid=1637329840&sr=8-2

Based on the picture in the reviews it does not fit ..note I have no experience/knowledge of Nils dimensions .

None of the stuff you posted works. It’s the length of the stem for the drill that is the issue. Anything with a bolt through won’t work.

Either he finds an adaptor like the clam one and gets it lengthened, or he buys a custom one that is already legthened.  Bellow the adaptor is a custom made nils adaptor that is legthened for the drill stem.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2021, 10:42 PM »
The adapters shown will work with
a blue nils.
I run a blue Nils, with a clam plate.

The orange Nils is different.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2021, 03:09 PM »
Why would you want a clam plate on an orange nils?  I can see it for the blue nils because that one really isn’t meant to be used with a drill.  Orange cuts so easily with just a simple drill handle on the side.  Most time you don’t even need the handle.  Is it a 6” or 8”?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Why would you want a clam plate on an orange nils?  I can see it for the blue nils because that one really isn’t meant to be used with a drill.  Orange cuts so easily with just a simple drill handle on the side.  Most time you don’t even need the handle.  Is it a 6” or 8”?

A blue nils was made before the drill crazy. It was thee top of the line auger for cutting buy hand. Also had Tanaka power heads for them. It cuts no different then the orange nils, and all nils cutting heads are interchangeable. The black cutting heads are just a touch less aggressive then the red ones. But they all cut buttery smooth.

The blue nils has a drill plate with a stem you can put on it to run it with a drill….however the blue nils is very tall.

The orange nils was made after the drill craze took off. It is shorter then the blue, has a built on drill plate to prevent it from going down the hole and a stem to attach the drill to…vs having to buy the additional plate for the blue.

Having the clam plate on any auger is nice. It’s not needed, but just handy for carrying the setup around, setting it on the ice, and little things.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.