Author Topic: Tungsten ice flies  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tungsten ice flies
« on: Nov 19, 2021, 02:07 PM »
Hi all!  I picked up some VMX tungsten fly jigs and am curious if folks on here use these successfully for perch or other fish. Any tips on using them?
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten ice flies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2021, 03:33 PM »
Those are probably one of my favorite lures to use for bluegills. I tip them a single euro larvae usually. Catch big gills, crappie, and the occasional largemouth bass on them, including some 4lb+ fish.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2021, 03:36 PM »
I love them.  I caught my PB 10" gill last year using one.

Tipped with small spikes, or no meat works fine, too.  They get down to the fish very fast, which is a huge advantage. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Heck yeah, but I'm biased.  I tie and sell tungsten ice flies to bait shops and have a retail website.  I don't know if I have any specific tips, but they definitely are deadly due to having a slower descent than most jigs.  Sometimes that super fast drop from a big tungsten teardrop type of jig or a spoon makes tentative fish bolt off when it rockets down to them.  Typically I smoke any and all panfish with my flies, especially in pressured little bodies of water.  I will admit that they aren't the solution for every situation, but I do fish the ones I make each and every time I'm out.  I normally make and fish about 4-5 different types, like scuds, bloodworms, mayflies, and some that are similar to the mass retailed kinds like the VMC's with the hackle around the collar.

I just thought of a couple tips:  Try fishing them on a loop knot for added erratic action, and if you want to fish them in really deep water without having to wait a minute to get down, tie one on a dropper line to a spoon or make a drop shot rig with a big jig on bottom and fly a foot or so above.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Blakemohr can you share your website? You can pm me if you don’t feel comfortable posting.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Heck yeah, but I'm biased.  I tie and sell tungsten ice flies to bait shops and have a retail website.  I don't know if I have any specific tips, but they definitely are deadly due to having a slower descent than most jigs.  Sometimes that super fast drop from a big tungsten teardrop type of jig or a spoon makes tentative fish bolt off when it rockets down to them.  Typically I smoke any and all panfish with my flies, especially in pressured little bodies of water.  I will admit that they aren't the solution for every situation, but I do fish the ones I make each and every time I'm out.  I normally make and fish about 4-5 different types, like scuds, bloodworms, mayflies, and some that are similar to the mass retailed kinds like the VMC's with the hackle around the collar.

I just thought of a couple tips:  Try fishing them on a loop knot for added erratic action, and if you want to fish them in really deep water without having to wait a minute to get down, tie one on a dropper line to a spoon or make a drop shot rig with a big jig on bottom and fly a foot or so above.
never-mind!  I found your site with a bit of google help.  I put in an order for 2 mystery packs.  I am super pumped to see what I get! 

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:34 PM »

Order placed!  :thumbsup:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2021, 12:37 AM »
I sure don't wanna get in trouble on here but thanks fellas!  Good stuff on the way.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2021, 06:19 AM »

I sometimes use those tungsten beads for the same effect. Works real well when I want to have a smaller presentation when using 2.5 and 3mm jigs. Just slide 1 or 2 on the line just above the jig. Smaller, heavier and shinier than a split shot.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Iceassin, do you put them just above the knot or up the line somehow? if the latter, do they tangle the jig? good idea for when the fish are deep, but only want a SMALL offering. thank you in advance, wire.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Iceassin, do you put them just above the knot or up the line somehow? if the latter, do they tangle the jig? good idea for when the fish are deep, but only want a SMALL offering. thank you in advance, wire.

Right above the knot. Just let them slide as they will. The one downside is the sliding motion of the beads can cause the line to fray after awhile. Beads have a bit of a sharp edge. I just keep an eye on it and change leaders on occasion. No biggie.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2021, 10:12 AM »
One other tip: I always use a surgeons loop when fishing small tungsten, including the ice flies.  It allows the jig to hang at the angle it was designed to, and it swings with lots of motion.

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2021, 10:41 AM »
The knot is bigger than the fly! :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO