Author Topic: Amped Outdoors - Quick Connect  (Read 3037 times)

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
Amped Outdoors - Quick Connect
« on: Nov 16, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Hi All - looking for a bit of advice.  My amped outdoors battery (12ah) just arrived (pretty amazed at how much lighter it actually feels to the 7ah SLA).  I will be using it with by Garmin Echomaps 73cv, my question is about the quick connect (I did not order the barrel plug adapter) - do I use the quick connect by:
     Battery <- Quick Connect <- Garmin Harness?

If so, can I leave the garmin harness connected while charging?

Thanks for any help, very new to the electronics game - this will be my second season with the garmin.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Amped Outdoors - Quick Connect
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2021, 03:41 AM »
I would say you need the adapter as most are charger/locator specific.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery/products/garmin-barrel-plug-adatper
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:45 AM »
Amped Outdoor will surely answer your question drop them an Email .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:06 AM »
they say that you cannot use a battery charger from a SLA battery. You need a charger specifically designed for the Lithium batteries

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:48 AM »
they say that you cannot use a battery charger from a SLA battery. You need a charger specifically designed for the Lithium batteries

True. I sure wouldn't. Using a lithium battery with a lead-acid charger is pretty dicey. You can use a lead-acid charger to charge lithium batteries as long as you can set the maximum voltage of the charger (max has to be below 14.5, I believe) and as long as the charger does not have an automatic equalization mode enabled. Newer LA chargers often "ping" battery to read current voltage, then set charge rate from there. Lithium can hold over 13.5 volts; the LA charger may read 12.6v as a full charge and go into float mode. That will fudge up the lithium batt for sure. That's my .02
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Right - so I’d be using the charger from Amped. With their charger they send a quick connect adaptor which looks like it can connect to the battery and has terminals for the garmin cable to connect to as well.

I’ll shoot amped a message.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Right - so I’d be using the charger from Amped. With their charger they send a quick connect adaptor which looks like it can connect to the battery and has terminals for the garmin cable to connect to as well.

I’ll shoot amped a message.

Im not sure I get and/or may be others are getting waht you may be asking ..some pictures are sure to clear things up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2021, 08:42 AM »

That is correct  I should have said that in my previous post. I bought mine from A.O. and I ordered/got the charger with the adapter specific to my Vexilar. They are all different.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:05 PM »
I have the 30ah Amped Outdoor batteries for my Livescope setup. I ordered their charger at the same time. I put this connector on the charger and the shuttle. It stays in the shuttle attached to the battery. There is no question whether this is plugged in and withstands moving around while charging. I bought them on Amazon for almost nothing. I'm pretty sure the last pic is the right one. They have them for $18/10. It's for 6-10 ga. wire.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Yes just piggyback off the Garmin harness to charge.

Here is my Garmin with no barrel plug used. I charge the battery by attaching the chargers alligator clips to the top bare terminals.

Thanks Van - I was able to speak with the team at amped and they confirmed. I appreciate you replying and confirming with the picture.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:44 PM »
Yes just piggyback off the Garmin harness to charge.

Here is my Garmin with no barrel plug used. I charge the battery by attaching the chargers alligator clips to the top bare terminals.

What are those terminals called? Would like to get a couple of sets.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:54 PM »
What are those terminals called? Would like to get a couple of sets.

They are called piggy back terminals ..amazon sells them

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:22 AM »
Thank you, I found a source

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.