Author Topic: livescope/pantoptix vs hummingbird vs lowrance  (Read 2918 times)

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
livescope/pantoptix vs hummingbird vs lowrance
« on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:10 AM »
So i'm a newbie to the forward view technology and i'm thinking has anyone really has anyone got experience or compared them to each other . I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one but i'd love to see which one is easiest to use and of course works the best pro's and cons of each.  Chime in if u have experience please

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: livescope/pantoptix vs hummingbird vs lowrance
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:31 AM »
If you already have a sonar brand and are familiar with all the functions..verbiage ..how to bounce around and set up screens ..that brand may be the better choice .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2021, 08:45 AM »
my eyes are bleeding from watching video's lol but very informative

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2021, 01:52 PM »
I have 3 full ice seasons under my belt with my first Garmin unit, it is a 93 with Livescope.  Previous to that I was all Lowrance (I still have 6 units in a couple of boats and 2 portables), in my estimation the Garmin is probably a little more user friendly then the Lowrance, but not enough to worry about.  I have no experience with the other two brands to compare with the Livescope, but would guess there is a similar learning curve, have heard pros and cons about the usefulness of the humminbird.  Unless you have a friend with experience on the Lowrance or bird, I would probably suggest going with the Livescope, simply because there is a pile of them out there, countless utube video's available and Garmin Facebook pages where people with experience on the Livescope will be happy to help you through the learning curve.  I am sure you will enjoy whatever you end up with.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Haven't watched this one but I have seen a few reviews on all 3.

I noticed lag on Lowrance and Hummingbird, much more than Garmin. Maybe with software updates they will be improved.

My thought is go with Garmin due to them being out longer and having more experience with this type of sonar.

But I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. They will all benefit your experience
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Hummingbird's mega360 is the only reason I'd think of switching from Garmin. I only have the regular panoptix not livescope

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2021, 05:20 PM »
I have been using Livescope for two years now. This will be the third ice season. Before I had the original HB 360°. In my opinion there is no comparison. Livescope is so much more versatile and useful for me that I have taken the 360 off of the boat and sold all of my HB stuff completely. I use the forward view for big crappie through ice, and Lake Superior whitefish on the boat. With the perspective I even used it from a dock recently to see where chinook salmon were located for snagging. I left the tracks on medium and you could see exactly which way those fish were moving. Last year I used it searching for roaming schools of slabs. The biggest drawback might be the weight. It's a bit heavy for real hole-hopping, but to me there is no other way to fly. Even my tightwad buddies are starting to "Turn to the Dark Side"!

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2021, 01:30 PM »
next question if i piece this together and buy pantoptix first can i just add something  to convert into a livescope system by adding that part later money permitting ? i'm thinking a black friday deal already seen couple deals on 93sv

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2021, 03:21 PM »
Livescope will work with Echomap Plus models. But not the EchoMap. I am not sure about other series for Garmin. I have a EchoMap 73dv and a EchoMap 73sv that will work with Panoptix but not Livcescope. 
jbird68

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2021, 02:29 PM »
next question if i piece this together and buy pantoptix first can i just add something  to convert into a livescope system by adding that part later money permitting ? i'm thinking a black friday deal already seen couple deals on 93sv

If you are asking that if you start out with the straight Panoptix transducer (PS22), can you convert it to a Livescope (LV32), the answer is no.  Also be where that there are two Livescopes, the LV 32 is the good one, the LV12 not so much.  The livescope transducer is different and it does require the black box.  If that is the question, then the best way to go about it is to buy the Livescope right off the bat, Garmin is having a $200 rebate on the Livescope coming up shortly, that will probably be about the best deal you will find.  The other option is to buy the straight panoptix, sell it later and buy the Livescope.  As Jbird68 mentioned, make sure you buy a head unit that is compatible with the Livescope.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2021, 03:41 PM »
If you are asking that if you start out with the straight Panoptix transducer (PS22), can you convert it to a Livescope (LV32), the answer is no.  Also be where that there are two Livescopes, the LV 32 is the good one, the LV12 not so much.  The livescope transducer is different and it does require the black box.  If that is the question, then the best way to go about it is to buy the Livescope right off the bat, Garmin is having a $200 rebate on the Livescope coming up shortly, that will probably be about the best deal you will find.  The other option is to buy the straight panoptix, sell it later and buy the Livescope.  As Jbird68 mentioned, make sure you buy a head unit that is compatible with the Livescope.

You got any insight on that rebate coming up shortly? Been checking every day...

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2021, 06:37 AM »
You got any insight on that rebate coming up shortly? Been checking every day...

The $200 rebate starts on Monday November 22.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:22 PM »
so i utilized black friday deal at cabelas (699 for 93sv and 1299 after rebate for livescope ) and ordered a shuttle and bag from summit,  glow cup and pole/ transducer holder all said and done it was 2300 plus tax . I can see why u wouldn't wanna move around alot with it . can't wait for ice on the bay now  ;D

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11:32 AM »
so i utilized black friday deal at cabelas (699 for 93sv and 1299 after rebate for livescope ) and ordered a shuttle and bag from summit,  glow cup and pole/ transducer holder all said and done it was 2300 plus tax . I can see why u wouldn't wanna move around alot with it . can't wait for ice on the bay now  ;D
Welcome to "The Dark side young Padawan"!
That's the problem too. The damn thing's so awesome that you'll want to hole hop with it!

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2021, 10:45 AM »
2 seasons new to this ice fishing adventure.  But had the Livescope for three seasons of open water kayak fishing.

I have the same Summit setup: shuttle, pole, glow cup and bag. No regrets purchasing it. Your setup should serve you well.

Here’s my hole hopping Livescope setup with Engel bait cooler all on a aluminum bake pan. I tied on some paracord to pull it from hole to hole.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2022, 11:36 AM »
My quick review so far only gotten out a couple of times , i'm running in downview  not sure if any other is better or not (perspective or forward ) but yeah pretty intuitive not overly hard to use but i haven't reaally deviated from auto settings , definitely big difference over a flasher can see fish coming from farther out i'm impressed so far ; to be continued when i get more use  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.