Author Topic: Need new ice boots  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need new ice boots
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2021, 01:31 PM »
Have had mucks also. Didn’t care for them. I’m a little bigger guy. My calves are a little bigger. Hugged my legs too tight. Rubbed on back of leg and gave me blisters. Hard to get on and off. I bought the cabelas branded ones and have had those for 4-5 years. Extremely happy with them. Have a strap in back up too so they don’t hug your leg too tight. IMO easier to get on and off.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
John

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2021, 04:13 PM »
    If my seam repair to my Mucks does not hold up Ill be getting some Dry Shod Boots.   Saw the Dryshods at Cabelas and they looked pretty sturdy / rugged.

They are a way better quality boot
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I got a pair of Dryshod Arctic Storms with my name on them. Gonna pick them up in a couple weeks.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2021, 10:23 AM »
Thanks you guys, I didn’t know that The dry shard guy was the originator of muck boots. I’ll probably give dry shot a try next time too, if I live long enough to wear these out.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2021, 02:24 AM »
I've had a pair for 2 years, I don't use them for ice fishing since they don't seem to keep my feet warm enough.

I use Cabela's Saskatchewan pac boot, warmest boot I have ever used...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2021, 04:16 AM »

I wanted to get Mucks but the tall ones wouldn't go over my calf in my shoe size. I tried going bigger but still a no go. I have Cabela's Predator Extremes,
               had them for 11 years and they're still going strong. :flex:

IW

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:09 AM »
Baffin Titans. Look them up. The only complaint I could find was they make people's feet sweat. I've had them for 2 seasons now. No complaints and toasty feet. Highly recommend.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Baffin Titans. Look them up. The only complaint I could find was they make people's feet sweat. I've had them for 2 seasons now. No complaints and toasty feet. Highly recommend.

I was looking to get these myself. Do they generally run true to size?? I usually go up 1 size for socks and such

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Wore the Baffin Impacts the last several Winters and love them. Bought the Titans for this season as they are 100% waterproof  which is a necessity with the 10" G2. Buy them a size bigger so you have room for heavy socks.   

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2021, 03:45 AM »
Definitely go a size up. They have almost like memory foam that forms to and hugs your feet.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2021, 08:02 AM »
I replaced my Cabela's Snow Squall boots with Cabela's Trans Alaskan boots last year. What a idfference. But they were $200. I got both me and nmy teenage son a pair. They are bigger and heavier but wow. Our feet never got cold. The only problem is finding ice cleats that will stretch over them. Been using the Yaktrax XTR that I've had for years. But the rubber is cracking as it stretches over the boot. I was looking at the Yaktrax Summit but those are $84 and I've read reviews where the cable on the BOA lacing system have broken. I don't know why everything has to be rubber. Might have to look for something with nylon straps instead.   
jbird68

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2021, 08:10 AM »
 Jibird I have had Trans Alaskan for couple years , very comfy and feet stay dry but  I found not for long hikes at least for me , dedicated ice boot so I put in Kold Kutter racing spikes
 I need a new pair of packs as I have worn my old lacrosse out

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2021, 08:30 AM »
I rotate between three different pairs of boots, sorel ice kings, baffin impacts, and lately clam sub zero x boots.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:21 PM »
On my third pair of mucks in 12 years. Started with a pair of the Arctic’s and they were too heavy and made my feet sweat. Got a pair of woody sport’s really liked the insulation level on them, they broke open at a flex area by the toes. Got a pair of the wetland version a few years ago. They have the same insulation as the woody sport but they have the strap in the back, really like them. My feet rarely get cold so these are perfect for me.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Baffin Titans!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Well, my muk boots are garbage now, I noticed today they had a part of the rubber that has separated.

I won't be buying them again  >:(
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Had Baffins for 5-6 years, not sure which model/line.  Good boot, big/bulky, and eventually the bottom cushion went way and could feel the tread.  Just bought the Clam Sub Zero X after 2 yrs of research.  Wanted something waterproof, somewhat easy to get on, warm, and reputable.  Time will tell....

Offline homemadespud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Well, my muk boots are garbage now, I noticed today they had a part of the rubber that has separated.

I won't be buying them again  >:(
Ditto 2 years on my wetlands and the rubber dry rotted quality went downhill

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2021, 06:59 AM »
 On my packs and hip waders I use Armor All and i haven’t had any trouble with cracking or dry rot  , but maybe I’m just lucky

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Had Baffins for 5-6 years, not sure which model/line.  Good boot, big/bulky, and eventually the bottom cushion went way and could feel the tread.  Just bought the Clam Sub Zero X after 2 yrs of research.  Wanted something waterproof, somewhat easy to get on, warm, and reputable.  Time will tell....

Doing the same this season. Had Baffins for a few years, they were OK but I just wore them out. Got a pair of the Strikers, also OK, but not very warm. Initial impressions of the Sub Zeros are pretty good side by side with the other boots, can't wait to give them the real test in a few weeks here.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2021, 08:07 PM »
I replaced my Cabela's Snow Squall boots with Cabela's Trans Alaskan boots last year. What a idfference. But they were $200. I got both me and nmy teenage son a pair. They are bigger and heavier but wow. Our feet never got cold. The only problem is finding ice cleats that will stretch over them. Been using the Yaktrax XTR that I've had for years. But the rubber is cracking as it stretches over the boot. I was looking at the Yaktrax Summit but those are $84 and I've read reviews where the cable on the BOA lacing system have broken. I don't know why everything has to be rubber. Might have to look for something with nylon straps instead.   

I use the Korkers Apex Ice Cleat, XXL for my size 13 boot Cabela's Saskatchewan boot.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Checkout Baffin boots love mine like wearing slippers very comfy

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Good thread. I've been looking for a spring/fall boot so Mucks were considered.  Sounds like they are hard to get off and there's no liner not to mention longevity issues. I'll stick with my $50 Kamiks for now. They slip on and off like slippers.  These have no seams that might leak and they have a liner. Get a spare liner $20 and you can rotate them out each day. Up size and wear a good sock. This setup is good to 5F. So inexpensive that I can buy a new pair every 2-3 years. They don't leak the soles just wear off over time. I wear them a lot and I can drive a truck with them on.

Baffin Titans are my ice fishing boots. Always warm and frequently on sale for $100. A spare set of liners is also handy. On my 4th year and no complaints - they are the best for many types of ice fishing situations.

NATS boots are stupid light because they are made out of a material similar to Crocs. For these you need to up size 2 sizes. They are not as warm as Titans.

I've had Cabelas Predators which were great but leaked after 5 years. These are made of leather and Cordura with laces so they are better if walking far liked if you don't have a sled/atv. More liked a jumbo-sized hiking boot.

Up sizing and a good sock are key to warmth. A dry boot is also important so remember to start drying them out at the end of the day. Removable liners make this easy. A spare set is handy in case you forget dry out yesterday's liners.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I've looked at Muck Boots and others.  I can't find a boot that isn't narrow.  I wish that they'd make them in wider widths.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Check out Hoffmans Pac boots. I have a pair of the caulked ones and love them for ice fishing. Hoffmanboots.com

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I've looked at Muck Boots and others.  I can't find a boot that isn't narrow.  I wish that they'd make them in wider widths.

Have the opposite problem can't find anything narrow enough.  Had to special order cowboy boots to get the double A width.   Everything off the shelf flops like clown shoes.
I do wear mucks year round going on the third year with them.

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:18 AM »
4th year with LL BEAN Maine pac boot. Pull out insole sleeves, 100% waterproof, lifetime warranty...will never need another pair.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Good thread. I've been looking for a spring/fall boot so Mucks were considered.  Sounds like they are hard to get off and there's no liner not to mention longevity issues. I'll stick with my $50 Kamiks for now. They slip on and off like slippers.  These have no seams that might leak and they have a liner. Get a spare liner $20 and you can rotate them out each day. Up size and wear a good sock. This setup is good to 5F. So inexpensive that I can buy a new pair every 2-3 years. They don't leak the soles just wear off over time. I wear them a lot and I can drive a truck with them on.

Baffin Titans are my ice fishing boots. Always warm and frequently on sale for $100. A spare set of liners is also handy. On my 4th year and no complaints - they are the best for many types of ice fishing situations.

NATS boots are stupid light because they are made out of a material similar to Crocs. For these you need to up size 2 sizes. They are not as warm as Titans.

I've had Cabelas Predators which were great but leaked after 5 years. These are made of leather and Cordura with laces so they are better if walking far liked if you don't have a sled/atv. More liked a jumbo-sized hiking boot.

Up sizing and a good sock are key to warmth. A dry boot is also important so remember to start drying them out at the end of the day. Removable liners make this easy. A spare set is handy in case you forget dry out yesterday's liners.

Where did you get your liners?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.