Author Topic: Need new ice boots  (Read 5355 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need new ice boots
« on: Oct 29, 2021, 05:07 PM »
My Bogs (muck type) boots are wore out and treated me well on the ice here in SE Nebraska. I noticed Scheels has Muck Arctic Ice boots on sale. Thoughts and opinions welcome on others I should look at.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Need new ice boots
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 05:27 PM »
I have the Artic Sports..good boot suggest going up a size to accommodate various sock/insole combinations . You should check Amazon Warehouse..some deals can be had with certain sizes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Love my Mucks. Thanks for the tip on the sale. I'm gonna check the Arctics out.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:14 PM »
I have the Arctic Sports as well.  Some here have had issues with Mucks but mine are going strong for 7 years now.  Comfortable, waterproof, light and easy on/off...for me at least.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:29 PM »
I would be real happy if my muck arctic pros even lasting 3 or 4 years.mine cracked across the top fronts of them in less than a season.i thought they would be better made for the price.im wearing kamik hunter boots that are not very warm but lasted a year so far and only 35$ compared to 100$ for mucks.still have my trusty 40 year old mickeys ready for winter battle tho.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:51 PM »
You'll get a 100 different opinions, and there are 1000 threads on this. BUT...don't buy Kamiks. Junk!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Lol love my kamiks, cheap enough I didn't feel bad putting racing screws in them  ;D Kamiks hunters and quality socks are definitely a decent budget option but you're obviously not getting $200 warmth out of $35 boots

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:39 PM »
🍿

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I had muck boots and didn’t get 2 seasons of them.  Seam at the side west it flexes when you step came lose and there was no way of fixing it.  I tried Lacrosse boots this year that I bought from Rogers Sporting Goods.  Not sure how durable they are but I paid $100 for them on sale.  Hope these last better.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Kinda funny... 2 years ago after reading all the negative reviews on Mucks I found a late season deal on some Baffins so I jumped on it.  Haven't used em yet.  Usually my stuff is the first to break/fail but so far so good.   ???

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09:43 PM »
I've soured on Mucks. My first pair lasted 2-1/2 years before breaking the toe seam between the boot and the neoprene. My second went only a year and change before leaking as well. I'm not buying 'em again
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Dry shod are the best "rubber" boot on market
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2021, 03:51 AM »
My Bogs (muck type) boots are wore out and treated me well on the ice here in SE Nebraska. I noticed Scheels has Muck Arctic Ice boots on sale. Thoughts and opinions welcome on others I should look at.

If your Bogs have been good to you in the past, why not stay with them? On my 3rd season with the Bogs Bozemans with no issues. Warmest and lightest I've ever had.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:06 AM »
If your Bogs have been good to you in the past, why not stay with them? On my 3rd season with the Bogs Bozemans with no issues. Warmest and lightest I've ever had.

X2. When you find something that works, why change?

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Check out Hoffman boots. Made in the USA. Mine are 5 years old. Still look new. They ain't cheap.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2021, 08:06 AM »
X2. When you find something that works, why change?
X3

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2021, 09:22 AM »
My first pair of mucks lasted until I simply wore em through . I Had them over a decade or more. My second pair barely got any use compared to the first pair and separated at the toe / side area. Paid way more than first pair to 🤦‍♂️

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2021, 09:47 AM »
People seem to have good and bad experiences with most makes- There is always a chance of getting a lemon, and that sticks with people. I would say that when getting experiences from a big group like this, there is bound to be someone that has had a lemon from every manufacturer. I personally have had very good luck with Muck boots, and have 5 pairs, 3 different styles. I wonder if people that have failures are drying them out with too much heat- I have seen a lot of very high end hunting boots fail due to drying by the stove. The glue that attaches the rubber rand or even the rubber rand fails. Regardless, glue joints are the weak point in any boot nowadays.
I really do like the fact that the insulation of muck type boots is the neoprene, which can not absorb water and lose its effectiveness. I use a 5 mm lace up style of mucks that they  quit making, and my feet have never been warmer. I searched the internet until I found 3 pairs, which I hope will last me the duration. The Arctic Pro style is 5mm neoprene, and should be as warm, though not as good for walking.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:26 AM »

Good point. I will check out the Bozemans and their other models.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:36 AM »
Lol love my kamiks, cheap enough I didn't feel bad putting racing screws in them  ;D Kamiks hunters and quality socks are definitely a decent budget option but you're obviously not getting $200 warmth out of $35 boots
Then why try to convince people to get them if they aren’t comparable? My Mucks are almost 15 years old. Deer hunting, ice fishing, snow blowing, they’ve been great.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Then why try to convince people to get them if they aren’t comparable? My Mucks are almost 15 years old. Deer hunting, ice fishing, snow blowing, they’ve been great.
That’s great that your mucks are still holding up after 15 years. You will not get 15 years out of a new pair. Guaranteed. Everyone that says Mucks are great have either an old pair, or a pair that is less than a year old. There ain’t nobody out there with a pair of 5 year old mucks that will say they’re still holding up great. My 5 year old mucks wooly max never were warm. My feet freeze in them. And then the souls all split apart from the boot. Now they aren’t waterproof. I wear them catfishing on the summer as that’s all they’re good for.

Mucks aren’t what they used to be. They straight up suck now. Why spent big bucks on a pair of mucks when you can buy a much cheaper branded rubber boot that has the same quality, if not better.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:18 AM »
That’s great that your mucks are still holding up after 15 years. You will not get 15 years out of a new pair. Guaranteed. Everyone that says Mucks are great have either an old pair, or a pair that is less than a year old. There ain’t nobody out there with a pair of 5 year old mucks that will say they’re still holding up great. My 5 year old mucks wooly max never were warm. My feet freeze in them. And then the souls all split apart from the boot. Now they aren’t waterproof. I wear them catfishing on the summer as that’s all they’re good for.

Mucks aren’t what they used to be. They straight up suck now. Why spent big bucks on a pair of mucks when you can buy a much cheaper branded rubber boot that has the same quality, if not better.

Good point. You never know what you're going to get. I spend good money on my fishing and hunting boots so I do the best I can to take care of them. They are dedicated to the sport I use them for. They are worn only in the woods or on the ice. I wear different boots/shoes to and from. Keep them clean and "lubed" if applicable. Easy enough.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:56 AM »

My mucks are 5 yrs old this season and they are holding up as good as I expected, no damage, no leaks. But I really only use them for ice fishing, I wear other boots for winter activities.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:15 PM »
My muck arctic pros were dedicated to icefishing and i snowblowed one time with them.lasted a few trips only.think the older mucks were made in the usa and now are china mucks.i will never buy them again.i still wear them for fall steelhead but they are slathered in shoo goo where they cracked and i wanted to get my use out of a pair of 100$ boots.mucks customer service also sucks when i contacted them and explained about it.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:40 PM »

Because not everyone can drop $200 on boots every three years when their mucks wear out. Top life expectancy on mucks made lately seem too be 5 years if you're lucky. As many have mentioned some are getting much less. My kamiks get abused (deer hunting, yard work, shore fishing) and if they were to split I'd be out $35 not $200. This will be my 4th ice season with them I think. I've gotten my money worth. Seems folks aren't getting their moneys worth outta mucks

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Because not everyone can drop $200 on boots every three years when their mucks wear out. Top life expectancy on mucks made lately seem too be 5 years if you're lucky. As many have mentioned some are getting much less. My kamiks get abused (deer hunting, yard work, shore fishing) and if they were to split I'd be out $35 not $200. This will be my 4th ice season with them I think. I've gotten my money worth. Seems folks aren't getting their moneys worth outta mucks
Bingo. And with Mucks splitting out, it’s not if, it’s when. You should be able to use a pair of boots and expect them to last for a while. People saying that their mucks are still holding up because they only sit on their butt and fish with them. You should be able to hike to your tree stand in them more than twice.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:26 PM »
Bingo. And with Mucks splitting out, it’s not if, it’s when. You should be able to use a pair of boots and expect them to last for a while. People saying that their mucks are still holding up because they only sit on their butt and fish with them. You should be able to hike to your tree stand in them more than twice.

This is why I switched to dry shod. Original founder of much but 1000%, better quality
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Ordered a pair of these to try this year. I order from Reeds sporting goods online. $180 with free shipping and no sales tax if you’re outside of Minnesota. Use promo code “ICE” 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2021, 10:46 AM »
Ordered a pair of these to try this year. I order from Reeds sporting goods online. $180 with free shipping and no sales tax if you’re outside of Minnesota. Use promo code “ICE” 

May be a better deal to be had if you can locate your size ...use code 493020 for 15% off

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=ALPHABURLY&categoryId=&cmCat=-10020&storeId=10208&catalogId=10000001&langId=-1&pageSize=48&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&isFreeSearch=true
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2021, 10:57 AM »
This is why I switched to dry shod. Original founder of much but 1000%, better quality

If my seam repair to my Mucks does not hold up Ill be getting some Dry Shod Boots.   Saw the Dryshods at Cabelas and they looked pretty sturdy / rugged.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.