Author Topic: Thanks for playing  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for playing
« on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:36 PM »
Another season winding  down,  some are still walking  on water some are already fishing  on top of it.. some are awaiting "what's next".
As each winter passes,  I wonder how many more I will see,I miss those that have left us, and those that, for one reason or another can no longer enjoy the cold crisp air or the thrill of a flag or bent  jig rod I spent the day today brewing  a batch of black IPA, the whole grain process takes  aBout 4 hours, in between there is alot of time for reflection and planning, the next few weeks will. Be busy for me,between rigging of gear and readying the boat for the season,  so today was my thinking  day..

I want to wish everyone a safe and prosperous  summer, catch lots of fish and above all enjoy  life, it goes bye way too fast.. I want to give a special shout out to my good friend and "fan favorite" Coffin Dodger, a man of impeccable honor  that's been dealt a XXXXX.   Hand, I miss you my friend hope all is well.
If any of you "regulars" are down Newburyport way, send me a PM I'd be happy to take  you out for an evening of striper fishing, I love ice fishing but those cows are MY thing!..
Guinea.. if you want to go lobster  fishing  you know how to get ahold of me.. traps go in mid May, bugs should  be crawling by June..
I'll leave you guys(and gals)  a few pictures  from my brew this morning.. I'll check the post a few times this week , and then like the "ice check please " crowd, ill be gone.. god bless you all see you when summer changes  to fall.

What I've posted in pictures covers from my set up, to mash in, the draining of the wort( future beer)the sparge  process where I rinse the grains for the remaining  sugars, the hot break of the boil and lastly  the fermenter,  where the yeast is added and the wort ferments to beer in a controlled  environment, in 2 weeks, itvwill be transferred  to a glass carbpy,a final hop addition  added and go through  a secondary fermentation  or rest for 2 weeks, at that time, it will be transferred  to a botteling  bucket, mixed with 4.5 oz. Of corn sugar and bottled, the sugar will feed the remaining yeast and carbonate each bottle, a 5 gallon  batch produces about 50 bottles of beer, it will be ready for drinking  2 weeks after botteling,  but comes into it's own after bottle  aging  about  a month..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thanks for playing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Looks great!! I wanted to get into brewing my own beer but couldn’t pull the trigger. Between fishing and smoking BBQ low and slow, I figured that would be enough for now. What type of beer are you brewing?

Also, might have to hit you up on a striper trip! I think they’re allergic to me because I very rarely catch them.
Tight Lines!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Looks great!! I wanted to get into brewing my own beer but couldn’t pull the trigger. Between fishing and smoking BBQ low and slow, I figured that would be enough for now. What type of beer are you brewing?

Also, might have to hit you up on a striper trip! I think they’re allergic to me because I very rarely catch them.
That is a black IPA, it's not like anything  you can buy in the store ( I wont drink store bought  beer, I'll go without  first, it's that different, ) it is not as " hoppy" as comercial  beers, it's more aromatic, with only a slight bitterness..  heavy on pine and grapefruit notes, like a stout on steroids, the secret is a lb. Of midnight wheat a n.v d the " dry " hop of cryo citra hops at secondary.. it gives it an almost creamy mouth feel.with a pleasant pine aroma.
Please don't be shy, be happy  to have company,  I still fish 3 nights a week, sunday  through  thursday, depending  on tide and weather..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:56 PM »
Great post Joe! They don’t make them much better than Richard. Like we spoke of I’ll be down to Newburyport in the coming months in a big job and I’ll be in touch. Sounds dangerous for those fish. Your brewing skills are impeccable.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Great post Joe! They don’t make them much better than Richard. Like we spoke of I’ll be down to Newburyport in the coming months in a big job and I’ll be in touch. Sounds dangerous for those fish. Your brewing skills are impeccable.
I look forward  to it, by then this batch  ought to be ripe for tasting.. justbsayin'

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:33 PM »
Great post Joe. We are blessed to be able to do what we do for another year. I love this quote and I think it sums most of us up.
 "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
You're right....Live in the day and enjoy the hell out of it!
You sure do go ALL OUT whether it be home brewing, fishing or whatever. Thanks for taking us along for the ride this season. I always enjoy your posts and your company.
I'll see you and Frank this summer hopefully ;)
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Great post Joe. We are blessed to be able to do what we do for another year. I love this quote and I think it sums most of us up.
 "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
You're right....Live in the day and enjoy the hell out of it!
You sure do go ALL OUT whether it be home brewing, fishing or whatever. Thanks for taking us along for the ride this season. I always enjoy your posts and your company.
I'll see you and Frank this summer hopefully ;)
Your quote is a great one. I decided after my Dad  passed at 63, (my mom died at 57)that I.would live for the day,I came into the world bare XXX with nothing, I plan on leaving  the same way
..,'cause there ain't no luggage rack on a hearse.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Great post !!    Good luck on the open water guys...
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Great post Joe. Beer is looking great. You definitely are crafty. Excellent quotes here too. Both of them hit home to me. I miss seeing Richard here as well he has been good to me and is a great guy. Tight lines everyone. Hopefully I can see you on the salt Joe.
Salmonemia

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I nearly spit out my tea when I read "like the "ice check please" crowd, I'll be gone.  :roflmao:

Great end of the season post. My open water time will be spent mostly in the woods looking for wild brookies. I might look for a reasonably priced kayak and hit some trout ponds, so maybe I'll run into some of you guys out there.

It's a date, Joe! I still have your number in my messages, and slow season at work is coming up. I can get a weekday or two off.  :)

Have a great open water season, everyone! Stay safe and keep the shiny side up.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2021, 02:03 PM »
I nearly spit out my tea when I read "like the "ice check please" crowd, I'll be gone.  :roflmao:

So true, it’s amazing the DB’s who protect those bottom feeders. It’s not even a stereotype or ignorance it’s proven factual here over the years.

Quit feeding them and they will go away, or keep stroking and get Duck itch and have Bears in your cabin. Why’s it so hard?

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Well said Joe - and a great perspective...

Hope to catch up with you this season finally...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Great post Joe, 1 day at a time is the way to live... Nobody can promise tomorrow. It was really a pleasure getting to finish up the last month of the season fishing with you even if my fingers are still numb lol. I've got my saltwater license and will be in touch.

Until next year everyone, I hope all have a great and healthy summer. Chat with you guys in the fall.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Online Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Well said Joe Lifes to short enjoy everyday like its your last and you'll be a happy man! Good luck to all this summer looking forward to Turkey season and a couple of deep sea trips i have booked. But all my summer is booked with softball tournaments starting mothers day weekend and ending 2nd week in august my wife and i enjoy every minute of it, plenty of time to fish in the winter or when the girls are in college. Enjoy life people stop worrying about the small stuff!! 
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:19 PM »
thanks for the replies everyone, hopefully some of you can "vist" me this summer.. as I posted in another thread, looks like the wind has had the last laugh and put a giant exclamation mark on the season.. hard to believe it's done.. but like I said where the ice was a foot and a half thick 9 days ago, good hard black ice too, it's white caps this afternoon..

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2021, 04:09 PM »
Great post and good looking brew set-up, enjoy the warm weather fishing !

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:00 PM »
As always, nice post Joe.  I wish you well this summer.  Good luck with the bugs and the cows.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:51 PM »
Nice send off.
Maybe next season we'll run into you out on the ice, now that we're expanding our range north.
As for striper season, I know a certain 14 year old that lays awake dreaming about cows. My ability to put my boys onto cows from shore has diminished in recent years. He gets jealous hearing old war stories from when his brothers were young. I know it would make his year to get a crack at one. If you ever have an opening,...

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:06 PM »
Have a wonderful summer ..seems like yesterday we were just getting on the ice ..hate to see time go by so fast ..take care Jibbs
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2021, 05:24 AM »
So true, it’s amazing the DB’s who protect those bottom feeders. It’s not even a stereotype or ignorance it’s proven factual here over the years.

Quit feeding them and they will go away, or keep stroking and get Duck itch and have Bears in your cabin. Why’s it so hard?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2021, 07:04 AM »
Tyrone Biggums! Classic! Not as good as Clayton Bigsby though

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2021, 07:14 AM »
We walked on this ,safely I might add,not so  long ago

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Wait... that can't be right.. there's no gales making white caps lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Wait... that can't be right.. there's no gales making white caps lol
First time in 5 months.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.