Author Topic: Custom Rods (TUCR, Elliott/2B/Thorne Bros, JT)  (Read 5492 times)

Offline BostonWhaler21

• IceShanty Rookie
Custom Rods (TUCR, Elliott/2B/Thorne Bros, JT)
« on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Hey guys,

Looking at some rods from TUCR, Elliott, 2B, etc. Looking at getting one rod for panfish and one rod for walleye/pike

TUCR- the Precision Noodle and Precision

Elliott- Inhaler and Rippineyes

2B ice- Big Nood and Prospector

What are your guys thoughts on these rods? Does it really matter? Am I putting too much thought into it, or are the three brands that noticeable? I hear a lot of guys are “TUCR or BUST”.

If you guys have other suggestions, please comment them below!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Custom Rods (TUCR, Elliott/2B/Thorne Bros, JT)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:30 PM »
You really can't go wrong with any of those. I'd recommend handling before purchase in order to get the best ones for you ;)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:51 PM »
I love TUCR, I have a precision noodle and bullwhip, I personally like the bullwhip the most but haven't been using them lately.

I have been using two IMX ice rods, the 331xf and 330xf and they have became my go to rods, I do want to try a Elliot Evolution ES44UL-XF, sounds like a
fun hole hopping rod.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:03 PM »
I personally did not like the way the tip transitions to the backbone on TUCR, i sold mine.

You can see in my signature which rods i choose.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BostonWhaler21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:18 PM »
You really can't go wrong with any of those. I'd recommend handling before purchase in order to get the best ones for you ;)

The hard part is finding a retailer near me. In PA, we don’t have a lot of choices for rod selection, other than 13 fishing and so. I have some Tickle Sticks, but I’m kind of not impressed by them.

Offline BostonWhaler21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:21 PM »
I love TUCR, I have a precision noodle and bullwhip, I personally like the bullwhip the most but haven't been using them lately.

I have been using two IMX ice rods, the 331xf and 330xf and they have became my go to rods, I do want to try a Elliot Evolution ES44UL-XF, sounds like a
fun hole hopping rod.

I’ve been searching for the last few days to find a Bullwhip and I’ve came up dry. I would just get a bullwhip for now and upgrade my arsenal later or next season, but I can’t find one for sale to save my life... That’s why I ended up splitting the two.

I like the IMX rods but the price. I know, it’s just a little bit more, but I’d like to stay around that $120-130 range per rod.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:28 PM »
if you're looking at TUCR for panfish go with the bullwhip you won't be disappointed

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:49 PM »
We're at the threshold where many retail rods have just about caught up to the custom mass produced rods.  It really comes down to individual preferences and individual affinity. 

Sometimes one wants a rod with more backbone, sometimes one wants one with more forgiveness, sometimes one wants that rod that will bend over 180.  Sometimes one rod performs better shallow in less than 10 feet of water, sometimes another rod performs better in deep water over 30 feet. 

The reason I went custom is because I fish a bait casting reel and shortening a bait casting rod takes more discerning placements of line guides to make it perform.  Not so much for a spinning rod set up but however the stripper line guide placement has a lot effect.

Some of the Fenwick World Class rods are very impressive as well as 13 Fishing Widow Makers.  St. Croix Custom Ice rods are quite impressive as well as the G-Loomis IMX ice rods.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:22 AM »

The reason I went custom is because I fish a bait casting reel and shortening a bait casting rod takes more discerning placements of line guides to make it perform.  Not so much for a spinning rod set up but however the stripper line guide placement has a lot effect.

Who makes your custom baitcaster?
I'm looking to get one spiral wrapped for a baitcaster in a light action....

Sorry, not trying to go off topic.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:51 AM »

Sorry, not trying to go off topic.

I got Thorne Bros. to build them on their Sweetheart ice blanks.  There is a reason why it worked out for me.  I torsion test the finished product to check if the blank will roll or not.  Turns out that the Thorne Bros. do not roll.  Hence their fish control factor is works out so much better for me.  It's also the same test method I use on full sized rods.  It is also part of the reason why I do not require a spiral wrapped rod.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2021, 07:31 AM »
You should try the basskhang power noodle rod for panfish.  Just like a bullwhip but a little less than the bullwhip.  Best is you can choose the length, color, accent, wrap of the blank, with or without the reel seat.  I got a white 32" blank, red wrap, gold accent, bright lime tip, and a slick reel seat.  It is so sensitive for light crappie bites but also hookup with walleyes accidently every now and then.  I been killing the crappies over the last 2 seasons and love it.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:16 PM »
From TUCR, I have the Precision Noodle, Bullwhip, Fusion and Commander. For panfish, I prefer the Precision Noodle over the Bullwhip - Im not a fan of how quick the transition from tip to backbone is on the Bullwip. I use the Fusion for Perch and walleye and like how it performs. For bigger walleye and pike, the Commander is a solid choice.

From JT, I have the Gold Digger. I use it for walleyes and perch. It is heavier action rod than the TUCR Fusion and is my go-to rod for Walleye over the TUCR Fusion and Commander

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:45 PM »
have you considered making your own?

Catchin' Fish

Offline BostonWhaler21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Good advice guys! Hopefully this not only guides me into a rod selection, but other people as well.

Coming from a background in bass fishing, I’ve bought both cheap rods and expensive, purpose built rods. I will say, I prefer my Lews Mach 2 finesse rod over say my St. Croix Triumph...

So, when looking at ice rods, I looked at the same specifics. Rod power, tip action, handles, guides... The works. Yes, $100-150 for an ice rod can make someone a little queasy, but the quality and the purpose built craftsmanship is there.

I pulled the trigger on two Elliott rods last night; the Noodle Lite in 30” and extra fast, with a noodle power. Perfect for Gills and crappie. I wanted to play into the bigger game fish, so I also bought a Rippineyes, 32” medium heavy and fast action. Going to be awesome for jigging spoons for eyes and pike.

Due to the very limited nature and review on Elliott rods (as a new company, not Thorne Bros), I’ll be giving an initial first thoughts review, and a post-operation review. Hopefully this will give people another idea as to a rod option.

I’ll also consider making some YouTube videos on using it and my thoughts. I’ll let you guys in on the scoop.

But, let’s keep this thread going! I want to see who else has some custom rods and want to share info and thoughts on them.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:05 AM »
If your looking to get a rod custom built TUCR is my suggestion. I got a custom spiral wrapped Bullwhip built this yr. And so far I love it. Will be getting a fusion spiral wrapped for next yr.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2021, 10:35 PM »
Looking into a TUCR Bullwhip or Elliott Noodle Lite. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2021, 07:44 AM »
I use the TUCR Bullwhip for 99% of my fishing anymore. It's good for panfish to walleye, bass, and I've handled decent Pike on it also.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I had a bunch of TUCR and sold them all. I think they are so popular because they do so much advertise over how good they are. They are nothing special. For the money there are way better rods out there. Elliot, Thorne Brothers, and JT make some nice rods. There are also many garage builders that make some great stuff. Slipperybob is right that many of the retail rods are up to the custom rod quality without the price. Call the company if you are looking for a rod and have them make it for you with the colors you want. It’s the same price. If you want a TUCR look in the used section. People are selling them all the time.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2021, 08:31 AM »
TUCR is overrated in my opinion.  I had a Quick Tip and sold it.  As was mentioned, I also didn't like the tip transition to the backbone.  Maybe it was me, but it seemed like I missed a lot of fish on the hookset with that rod.

I've only heard great things about the Elliot and 2B rods.  I will probably never buy another rod, though, as I started building my own a few years ago.  The Basskhang blanks are pretty awesome and very affordable.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2021, 09:42 AM »
I picked up a Elliott 32" Paragon at the Dakota Angler Ice Institute. That's a solid carbon rod. But I'd like to possibly get a noodle style for finicky bites. I fish a 13 Snitch rod and it does pretty well. But just looking into something a little nicer. Elliott Noodle Lite or maybe a 2B Big Nood or Ultimate Nood. Maybe I should be looking at Clam Jason Mitchell Meat Stick or Dead Meat. Maybe more expensive isn't the way to go. So many options these days.

Also looking at the Elliott Evolution Series 44UL or 44L. Would probably be good for hole hopping. Just not sure if I'd like that longer rod and sitting on a bucket like I have done. Not sure standing up and looking down would be comfortable for me. I might be wrong though.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2021, 09:48 AM »
I have a number of both TUCR and JT rods. Both are high quality products. I will agree these custom rods do have a high price tag to them but I am able to match a species/size to a specific rod. You see many more TUCR rods for sale as there is many more of them sold. Not saying others aren’t good but people constantly upgrade for newer models, different lengths, handle types etc. I recommend going to the store or sport show and get them in your hands before buying.

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2021, 12:25 PM »
consider checking out Della Bay.
@MNpup

https://www.instagram.com/dellabay/
https://www.youtube.com/c/HuyFishin
Follow like and subscribe! Appreciate the support!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Since my post back in January on this thread, I just added a JT Rogue, 32in and am planning on selling my 30in Bullwhip. As I mentioned, I prefer the Precision Noodle over the Bullwhip and the JT Rogue seems very similar to the Precision Noodle, the tip may be just a bit lighter too. Cant compare much more until I get some ice though

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Good advice guys! Hopefully this not only guides me into a rod selection, but other people as well.

Coming from a background in bass fishing, I’ve bought both cheap rods and expensive, purpose built rods. I will say, I prefer my Lews Mach 2 finesse rod over say my St. Croix Triumph...

So, when looking at ice rods, I looked at the same specifics. Rod power, tip action, handles, guides... The works. Yes, $100-150 for an ice rod can make someone a little queasy, but the quality and the purpose built craftsmanship is there.

I pulled the trigger on two Elliott rods last night; the Noodle Lite in 30” and extra fast, with a noodle power. Perfect for Gills and crappie. I wanted to play into the bigger game fish, so I also bought a Rippineyes, 32” medium heavy and fast action. Going to be awesome for jigging spoons for eyes and pike.

Due to the very limited nature and review on Elliott rods (as a new company, not Thorne Bros), I’ll be giving an initial first thoughts review, and a post-operation review. Hopefully this will give people another idea as to a rod option.

I’ll also consider making some YouTube videos on using it and my thoughts. I’ll let you guys in on the scoop.

But, let’s keep this thread going! I want to see who else has some custom rods and want to share info and thoughts on them.

I have 9 Elliott’s. imo the best production rod on the market. It’s a true Thorne bros rod. Made by Gregg and Paul Thorne. The balance and action are amazing, build quality is excellent. The commander I immediately sold once I got my greenback.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2021, 11:24 PM »
Would love to hear about each model of Elliot.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:23 AM »
I picked up a Elliott 32" Paragon at the Dakota Angler Ice Institute. That's a solid carbon rod. But I'd like to possibly get a noodle style for finicky bites. I fish a 13 Snitch rod and it does pretty well. But just looking into something a little nicer. Elliott Noodle Lite or maybe a 2B Big Nood or Ultimate Nood. Maybe I should be looking at Clam Jason Mitchell Meat Stick or Dead Meat. Maybe more expensive isn't the way to go. So many options these days.

If you like the snitch action, super light tip right into backbone check out DH custom rods Al dente. That blank they developed is pretty special.   Meatstick/deadmeats are great for the price.  I have a 2B big nood, that's a fun rod. Great at keeping fish pinned, with that slightly parabolic action. Good for tungsten, tiny spoons etc, IMO you'd need to add a spring bobber if using tiny lead stuff.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Any Elliot or 2B rods similar to the tucr quick tip?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.