Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice question  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice question
« on: Jan 15, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Hi guys, I知 still fairly new to ice fishing and am still learning to read ice. In central Iowa we got rain before this blizzard, I知 wondering what effect this storm will have on the ice. We had standing water on top of the ice before the snow, which I imagine is a good thing since the ice wasn稚 porous enough for the water to seep down through. With the snow now insulating on top of the ice, will the integrity of the ice become more questionable now? The are I fish had 5 inches of good ice before the storm. I will definitely check with my spud next time I知 out but would appreciate some education on this. Thanks I知 advance for your thoughts!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:39 AM »
When in doubt, spud your way out.  Snow isn't good for ice making but there is enough ice now where you should be okay.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:47 AM »
When in doubt, spud your way out.  Snow isn't good for ice making but there is enough ice now where you should be okay.

X2

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:49 AM »
5" of good ice, this rain and snow didnt do anything to that. Might get some flooding around the holes for the next couple days from the weight of the snow... but the lake will crack and the ice will float up. Some nice mid 30s coming next week here, not sure if you guys in central are getting it too.. that'll knock down a bunch of this snow thats on the ice. You'll end up with another inch or two of white ice on top after all of this.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Hi guys, I知 still fairly new to ice fishing and am still learning to read ice. In central Iowa we got rain before this blizzard, I知 wondering what effect this storm will have on the ice. We had standing water on top of the ice before the snow, which I imagine is a good thing since the ice wasn稚 porous enough for the water to seep down through. With the snow now insulating on top of the ice, will the integrity of the ice become more questionable now? The are I fish had 5 inches of good ice before the storm. I will definitely check with my spud next time I知 out but would appreciate some education on this. Thanks I知 advance for your thoughts!

It will be 4-5in good ice slush then snow until temps get cold enough to freeze the "slush". Snow on top sucks....it insulates the ice/water from growing and making ice like it should. Kevin's post pretty much nails it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.