Author Topic: charging 12volt 10ah lithium battery  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
charging 12volt 10ah lithium battery
« on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Thinking about doing a couple day overnights and was wondering if there was a cigarette adapter that would allow me to charge my lithium battery with another thats in a power box with a cigarette output?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: charging 12volt 10ah lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:25 PM »
You may have to just get a small inverter with 120 out. Some of the smaller ones will have the cigarette lighter plug for the input.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:35 PM »
Can't really charge one battery from another. The charging voltage to charge a regular 12 volt battery is 13.8-14.2 volts.
Lithium battery chargers need around 15 volts from the charger to get a full charge if I remember correctly.
In order to charge from another 12 volt battery get a small 115 volt inverter and use your lithium batteries charger to charge it.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2021, 07:41 AM »
What head unit are you using? I can run my FLX28 on my amped 12Ah for weekend trips without charging just fine. When I go to Lake of the woods for a week, I survive with the 12AH and a 6AH for 5 days.When I have had to charge my 6AH when on a trip, I just let the truck idle and used the built in inverter to run the charger.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2021, 08:37 AM »
There are DC to DC chargers. I've never had my hands on one before so I can't speak to their operation but I would assume you'll kill the power box battery before you charge the other (depending on AH of both). Can you make some cabling to have your power box power your flasher/sonar/camera?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2021, 02:22 PM »
I think I confused people...I have a amped outdoors 12 volt 10 amp on my sonar. I also have an amped outdoors 12 volt 60 AH battery I use for my trolling motor in the summer. I was trying to see if the 10 ah ran out on a 2 day trip could I somehow charge the 10 ah with either the 60 ah or with my battery box that has a 12 ah in it and a cigerette output plug?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Easiest and maybe cheapest would be to buy a 10AH SLA battery for a backup in case you need it.  Don't we all have one laying around if we've upgraded to lithium?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Can't really charge one battery from another. The charging voltage to charge a regular 12 volt battery is 13.8-14.2 volts.
Lithium battery chargers need around 15 volts from the charger to get a full charge if I remember correctly.
In order to charge from another 12 volt battery get a small 115 volt inverter and use your lithium batteries charger to charge it.

Agreed...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2021, 06:14 PM »
I think I confused people...I have a amped outdoors 12 volt 10 amp on my sonar. I also have an amped outdoors 12 volt 60 AH battery I use for my trolling motor in the summer. I was trying to see if the 10 ah ran out on a 2 day trip could I somehow charge the 10 ah with either the 60 ah or with my battery box that has a 12 ah in it and a cigerette output plug?

Would need to run an inverter and use your regular charger from that. Lots of inverter options that plug into 12v plugs. Problem is it takes energy to run the inverter. You'd be further ahead making a cord to hook your locator to your battery box

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2021, 05:30 AM »
In theory you would think you could go battery to battery. Reality is the larger batter can not get the smaller battery excited enough to charge. You would have to use an inverter connected to the larger battery and your 110 volt charger from the inverter to the smaller battery to charge. 
Better off going out to eat 1 night and plug into their outlet to charge.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2021, 06:41 AM »
I use this on the ice to charge from a large battery to a small one. Works great! FYI you will have to input the correct settings for charging for your use it would be Lifepo4 4s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5YBJI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2021, 12:23 PM »

You could set up a little longer cable and just hook up your 60AH battery directly to your sonar if you need to use it.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2021, 04:11 PM »
The lithium batteries take a slightly higher voltage to charge to 100% than Lead/acid. I was told by my battery supplier than I could use my 12V charger on the "AGM" setting, but the battery never got to the specified "full" voltage. I ended up buying a LIPO4 specific charger, and it works better and faster.
That said, if you connect the 2 batteries, my guess is that they would equalize, and the small battery would have the same voltage as the big battery. My biggest concern with this is that there is no protection for max current or for temperature, so you might cause damage.
Your best bet is to rig a harness to use the trolling motor battery to power the flasher directly. That is cheaper and safer. If you don't want to do that, 18V tool batteries can be used to power most 12V electronics. Most people have multiple of those.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:17 PM »
The lithium batteries take a slightly higher voltage to charge to 100% than Lead/acid. I was told by my battery supplier than I could use my 12V charger on the "AGM" setting, but the battery never got to the specified "full" voltage. I ended up buying a LIPO4 specific charger, and it works better and faster.
That said, if you connect the 2 batteries, my guess is that they would equalize, and the small battery would have the same voltage as the big battery. My biggest concern with this is that there is no protection for max current or for temperature, so you might cause damage.
Your best bet is to rig a harness to use the trolling motor battery to power the flasher directly. That is cheaper and safer. If you don't want to do that, 18V tool batteries can be used to power most 12V electronics. Most people have multiple of those.

Correct on that...and a bit more info. Using a lithium battery with a lead-acid charger can be a tad dicey. You can use a lead-acid charger to charge lithium batteries as long as you can set the maximum voltage of the charger (max has to be below 14.5, I believe) and as long as the charger does not have an automatic equalization mode enabled. Newer LA chargers often "ping" battery to read current voltage, then automatically set charge rate from there. Lithium can hold over 13.5 volts; the LA charger may read 12.7v as a full charge and go into "float mode". That will fudge up the lithium batt by not taking it up to full charge.
That's just my .02 worth.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.