Author Topic: Otter xt cabin weight reduction  (Read 2937 times)

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter xt cabin weight reduction
« on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have an otter xt cabin xover flip house. It's just ok. The thing that I disike about it most is the weight.  This model has the bench seat.  I'm considering removal of the bench to save weight. Has anyone here done this?  Does anyone know how much the bench weighs? I've looked all over and cannot find out how much the bench weighs. Has anyone come up with a better(lighter) seatng system for this house?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Otter xt cabin weight reduction
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Cant help you with the weight difference ...but theses are the OEM seats ..pricey .You could remove the bench and explore some options ..sports chait ..directors chairs .

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/cushioned-seat-wbase-brackets/

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/cushioned-bracket-seat/

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/cross-link-seat-rail-w-mounting-hardware/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:04 AM »
i used to have one of the original otter flipovers, the green ones with the yellow lettering. No seat. I used a camping chair, worked great. More comfortable than the seats in any of the shacks I've owned since. If the mice wouldn't have gotten into it and chewed the crap out of it I'd still be dragging that thing all over the lake.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Otters are heavy. It is known. I have an XT cabin as well. I don't have a specific weight on that bench, but it is heavy, steel frame and all. Your options are pulling the bench and sticking two lightweight aluminum camping/directors chairs in there, or make a smitty to make the weight feel like much less while pulling. I went the smitty route as I like my stuff while on the ice.

Offline 4eyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eyes are king
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I've got a Otter XT cabin also. I never put the seat in when I put it together. It seems like the seat weighted as much as the cabin put together. I have a fold up chair that may weigh 1 pound. it folds up and lays on the bottom of the sled and I put other stuff on top of it. It works for me and I can load it in the back of the truck by myself.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:36 PM »
I just purchased the XT Cabin X-Over (found out its made in China - not thrilled about that!) from Runnings.   First - the Hyfax runner kit came without the mounting hardware kit - pissed me off right from the start! Called Otter and its been 6 days without a hardware kit received.  The bench seat with frame bars - I come up with 38.2 lbs on the wife's lie-o-meter scale  - tried 3 times - all the same results.  Kinda shocked how fat - oppssssss - I mean heavy the bench seat with the frame pieces.   I asked the wife to double check the scale and simply put - I'm glad I'm alive still.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:56 PM »
All ice shacks are made in China. Yes the otter is heavy but that’s because it’s built to last. I removed the bench and replaced with some mesh seats. Definitely cuts the weight some.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:33 PM »
I just purchased the XT Cabin X-Over (found out its made in China - not thrilled about that!) from Runnings.   First - the Hyfax runner kit came without the mounting hardware kit - pissed me off right from the start! Called Otter and its been 6 days without a hardware kit received.  The bench seat with frame bars - I come up with 38.2 lbs on the wife's lie-o-meter scale  - tried 3 times - all the same results.  Kinda shocked how fat - oppssssss - I mean heavy the bench seat with the frame pieces.   I asked the wife to double check the scale and simply put - I'm glad I'm alive still.
lolol Glad ya survived!!! :o  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2020, 12:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies and information.  I got a good deal on this shelter last year on an end of the season sale.  I knew it was heavy,  but thought I could manage it.  The sled design seems to dig into the snow when towing,  I'm not sure if that's because of the weight, a poor sled shape, or poor balance. Even when towing behind a four wheeler, it feels like I'm dragging a plow. I guess my options are to pull the bench out and try another seating option or to sell the thing and start over.  I know I'll never be happy with it as long as that bench is in there,  especially if the 38 pound figure is correct! That may also explain why it is so awkward to load; all the weight is sitting up high. I've thought a lot about selling and starting over,  but it seems almost every house on market is getting heavier each year. There are a couple options under 80 pounds for a 2 man sled,  but not many.  I'll try pulling the bench and see how it pulls in the snow and loads in the truck, and go from there.

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:57 AM »
Otters are heavy. It is known. I have an XT cabin as well. I don't have a specific weight on that bench, but it is heavy, steel frame and all. Your options are pulling the bench and sticking two lightweight aluminum camping/directors chairs in there, or make a smitty to make the weight feel like much less while pulling. I went the smitty route as I like my stuff while on the ice.
I concur with TheStretch, try a Smitty Sled.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:14 PM »
I received the missing hardware from Otter (great service) and assembled it last night.   Pretty impressed so far!   Before I finalize the cover to the sled, I,m going to pull the bench seat out and dry fit it with folding chairs and see how it fits.    The bench seat does feel comfortable to sit on. Tested it with a few beers just to make sure.     I do like that rectangular kitty litter buckets (17 lb size) fit almost perfect under the bench seat.  Maybe trim off the top rim off the buckets would be spot on and 4 fit under the bench seat alone.  If the folding chairs fit good, maybe I'll just use/install the bench when my granddaughter or friends come along
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline coldwillie11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:36 PM »
I have been using my cabin for several years, I took the bench and all the steel,out and used some alum. Angle to mount a swivel boat seat, saved about 20#’s.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Removed the bench seat with all the mounting hardware - 42 lbs on the Lie-o-meter scale.   My folding chairs - only one fits - due to the leading sloped front side of the sled.  Very comfortable.   Only 7 lbs.  Looks like the bench seat will be used/installed only when needed.  Saved 35 lbs. I can add a removable 9" x 31" 1/4" board on the front (right side) for a mini table to utilize the space.  Hope this info helps...
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline hockey14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:09 PM »
 I purchased a otterXover pro Lodge I new what it weighed when i bought it. i never intended to drag it without a wheeler. its a good product and im happy with it. I ordered the runner kit from cabelas and also received it with the package open and hardware gone cabelas wanted me to return them and reorder. I just called otter and no questions asked they mailed me the hardware right away I have no complaints with them 

Offline mszczep1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water Fanatic!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2021, 06:25 AM »
I have the xt pro cabin.  I too would like ideas for reducing weight (with pics).  I pull it with a Snowdog.  Bogged down in slush last year and broke the chain, even on a smitty.  On a smitty it was too tall and tippy to fish from, so had to take it on and off.  Pain in the butt. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.