Author Topic: Trailer recommendation for atv  (Read 2618 times)

Offline tve

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have jigs will travel
Trailer recommendation for atv
« on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Just bought an ATV. What advice can you give on buying a trailer. Is a utility trailer ok or should bi go with an enclosed. And what size do you advise?

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trailer recommendation for atv
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2020, 08:04 PM »
I have a utility trailer.
Works fine for me.
Also use it for yard work in the other 3 seasons.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Enclosed without batting an eye.  I had a 3 wall cargo trailer and even with a complete cover for the ATV,  the salt/calcium just permeated it, each outing was a trip to the car wash.  I got a 6 x 10 enclosed cargo trailer and now the ATV is clean all winter.  In summer I can use it to sleep in on longer trips.  I could get my ATV and Otter cottage flip over in sideways behind the ATV.  If I did it again, I would go with a 6 x 12, just for the extra room.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:19 AM »
I also have an enclosed trailer 6"x14'. 
It's nice when arriving at the lake to have everything clean and dry.
My next one will be a  7'x 14' just to allow for more side room and possibly a shelf or two.

WS

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I bought a tandem 7x14 aluminum utility trailer this year. One thing I considered was how the life of the trailer would hold up to my specific region. In all, I choose to go with the aluminum because the trailer was lighter, resists the salts from the roads so it wont rust and I am actually able to haul more in its class. its 7000 gvw and the trailer weighs 1500 so Im able to haul 5500 if I need to. on a steel trailer, the trail in the same class may weigh around 2000-2500 lbs restricting what you could haul. There is a great debate over aluminum vs steel... take your time and do your research and you wont be let down either way you go.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:59 AM »
I would suggest an all aluminum (frame and body) enclosed trailer to keep the slop off your machine, not a steel framed trailer as they tend to rust quickly.  A 14' would probably be good, there is easily enough room for a 4-wheeler and sled, or two normal size 4-wheelers, but consider a 16' if you ever want to comfortably haul two ATV's and one is extra long, such as a 6-wheeler, or a 4-wheeler that has a built on dump box, they won't fit in a 14' (that was learned from experience).  Another thing to consider is height of the trailer, if you would ever get a UTV with a cab, it will probably take a 6.5' tall trailer.  Good enclosed aluminum trailers hold their value well, for what that is worth.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:04 AM »
I.use a home built utility trailer, and as others have pointed out. Aluminum is the way to go..I go over mine every spring and scrape, paint and under coat...when I build the new one, it will be aluminum
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:22 PM »
I would recommend an all aluminum enclosed trailer.  It basically becomes a mobile shed for your atv and your gear.  Nice to keep it inside away from the elements when being towed. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:16 AM »
Enclosed ABSOLUTELY and buy as big s you can afford and pull. I thought I'd be all set with 7x14 but I wish I bought and 18 instead.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2021, 04:03 PM »
I just bought a hybrid 2 place snowmobile trailer made by Mission trailers. Can put two ATVs next to each other in it with room for gear up front. Drive on ramp (not clam style), fully enclosed and light enough to push around in driveway with ATV and fishing gear in it. About half the cost of a full sized enclosed trailer. Happy so far.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:14 PM »
This is my 2021 ProLine deck over 20' V nose.  I can't say enough good things about the company or the trailer.  This build started off with me thinking I needed a 14 footer.  Things got a little carried away but love having the extra room for my gear.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Also, the Caliber low profile traction system is awesome.  It is dual purpose for sleds and ATV's.  This is the inside
With the load lights on.

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:15 AM »
I got a 14' aluminum box trailer for my snowmobile. Its a few feet short of easily fitting the Polaris and two man flip over. I have to back the snowmobile in to fit the shanty between the skies, or turn the shanty sideways. But for a quad it may be good length. Definitely measure what you want to fit and add a couple feet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.